GAA clubs and supporters in Clare have expressed their disappointment with how tickets were made available for Sunday’s All-Ireland SHC replay between Clare and Galway.

Some 54,191 people attended Saturday’s draw in Croke Park and Semple Stadium which will host the replay has a capacity of 46,300. For the drawn contest, supporters had the option of purchasing tickets via their local GAA club if they were a member, online or through Centra and SuperValu stores.

On Monday there was surprise when Croke Park officials informed Clare GAA that allocations would not be given to clubs and instead they had to be obtained online or in Centra and SuperValu stores.

It is worth noting that both retail outlets are official sponsors of the association.

This led to panic for fans as they rushed to stores and queued for hours, the same applied for those trying to source their tickets online.

Normally for inter-county games clubs are given a portion of tickets where their members would be able to place an order.

This did not happen and some clubs availed of the Club Pass Scheme which is operated for GAA Senior Championship All-Ireland Quarter Finals and Semi Finals in Croke Park even though the replay does not take place at Jones’ Rd.

The short time-frame between games has been cited by Croke Park officials as the reason clubs were not given their usual allocation of tickets.

In a statement earlier this week, Tulla GAA club outlined their frustration. “We would like to apologize to all our members for the disgraceful way our organization has treated the loyal club member but unfortunately that will not make it any easier to buy tickets”.

Conall McNulty, Chairperson of the Banner GAA club, said the way in which the tickets were sold caused confusion. “None of us knew how the tickets were going to be sold. There was talk that they were going to be distributed to the clubs and rumours about them only being sold online.

“When we got the word at 10.30am, I immediately sent a text to all our members. When I tried to get my own tickets, the site said I was the 4,995th person in the queue”.

Meanwhile Clare GAA Chairperson, Joe Cooney stated, “It is disappointing, there is a lot of loyal supporters without tickets”.

The O’Callaghans Mills clubman added, “I think it could have been looked at differently, more consideration could have been given to it. The other thing what I’m disappointed is they were put online at 11am when people were working and they weren’t aware”.

It is another in a long running series of events by the GAA this summer that has caused upset and anger among their members.

In the football qualifiers, Kildare voiced their anger when they home advantage was stripped from them when drawn against Mayo, this led to the Newbridge or Nowhere campaign, the Lilywhites regained home advantage and later defeated Mayo.

Dublin’s footballers continued use of Croke Park as a home and neutral venue in the Super 8s has caused discontent while the initial refusal to host a testimonial game for the late Liam Miller in Páirc Uí Chaoimh was another bone of contention for many.

Advertisement

Related News

Shannon, Ireland, June
Shannon will not receive 15 extra Gardaí despite claims of Govt TDs
Springfield3
€5.2m Springfield flood relief scheme 'makes fear & devastation of flooding a thing of the past' in Clonlara
ballymacaula 1
Plans for Ennis' largest housing scheme meet stumbling block
doolin coast guard
Coast Guard say they have no concerns over atmosphere in Doolin unit
Latest News
1 Shannon Airport_Munster Rugby Women's Bus
Shannon Airport & Munster get new wheels ahead of Interpro final
Shannon, Ireland, June
Shannon will not receive 15 extra Gardaí despite claims of Govt TDs
Springfield3
€5.2m Springfield flood relief scheme 'makes fear & devastation of flooding a thing of the past' in Clonlara
st josephs miltown v doonbeg 16-08-24 sean neylon eoghan killeen 1
Doonbeg & Miltown to battle it out for last remaining quarter-final spot
8ADEA71C-AA8E-43C5-AAB6-684A5D8EF880
'Battle of the Bands' returns to Lucas' Bar
Premium
ballymacaula 1
Plans for Ennis' largest housing scheme meet stumbling block
doolin coast guard
Coast Guard say they have no concerns over atmosphere in Doolin unit
Shannon Airport (2)
Rail link for Shannon Airport 'can be done & it's a matter of getting it done' says Junior Minister
clare v cork 20-04-25 eibhear quilligan 1
Clare keeper Quilligan to undergo surgery on injured knee this week
mercedes optimum autos 1
Three of the six stolen vehicles from Optimum Autos recovered

Advertisement

Subscribe for just €3 per month

If you’re here, you care about County Clare. So do we. Did you rely on us for Covid-19 updates, follow our election coverage, or visit The Clare Echo every week for breaking news and sport? The Clare Echo invests in local journalism and we want to safeguard its future in our county. By becoming a subscriber you are supporting what we do, will receive access to all our premium articles and a better experience, while helping us improve our offering to you. Subscribe to clareecho.ie and get the first six months for just €3 a month (less than 75c per week), and thereafter €8 per month. Cancel anytime, limited time offer. T&Cs Apply. www.clareecho.ie.