No account yet? Register

Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on linkedin
Share on whatsapp

No account yet? Register

*Seamus Collins impressed once again at centre-back for Lissycasey. Photograph: Gerard O’Neill

Lissycasey became the first team of the weekend to achieve quarter-final status by defeating neighbours Clondegad by three points, in an entertaining contest played at Cusack Park on Saturday.

By Gerry Quinn

Lissycasey 0-14
Clondegad 1-08
Venue: Cusack Park, Ennis

Clondegad captain Gary Brennan landed the game’s opening score from a long range free in the fifth before the John Ryan managed side got their first score, a pointed free by Conor Finucane, three minutes later. Though the game was close at times, Lissycasey were never behind for the remainder of the contest.

They held a two-point advantage at the break and though Clondegad sub Podge McMahon goaled mid-way through the second half, Lissycasey held out for a deserved victory.

By the first water-break the winners held a 0-5 to 0-1 lead with scores by Paul Nagle, Aaron Griffin, Conor Finucane once more and Niall Kelly. Brennan had Clondegad’s second, another pointed free at the beginning of the second quarter before a pair of points by wing back Oisin Hanrahan and half-forward Kelly, put Lissycasey 0-7 to 0-2 in front.

Another Brennan free, plus a Brandon O’Connell effort reduced the deficit to just three. Morgan Garry ‘s impressive block on Paul Nagle in front of goal began an exciting movement that ended up in a Brennan score from play, in injury time.

Lissycasey’s Conor Finucane and substitute Sean O’Leary exchanged points after half-time with, the Kerry native now playing for Clondegad, was fed a good pass by Morgan Garry. The recently crowned Gary Cup winners had amassed a four point lead (0-10 to 0-06) by the forty-first minute. But a rather fortuitous goal two minutes later threw Clondegad a lifeline. Full-forward Barry Toner’s attempt at a point hit the up-right and fell kindly into Podge McMahon’s hands. The number 28 booted to the net from close range. At the second water break the score-board read 0-12 to 1-7.

Shane Brennan was introduced at the re-start for Clondegad but it was Lissycasey who drew first blood of the final quarter with an Aaron Griffin point from the left flank. Clondegad spurned a goal chance when Brandon O’Connell blazed just wide of Killian Normoyle’s goal during an action-packed final stage. Podge McMahon got Clon’s final point while Niall Kelly grabbed Lissycasey’s.

In the end both teams missed chances but it was a steadier and more consistent Lissycasey that advanced.

Scorers Lissycasey: Conor Finucane (0-5) 0-1 f, N Kelly (0-4), A Griffin (0-2), P Nagle, B Cahill, O Hanrahan (0-1) each.

Scorers Clondegad: Gary Brennan (0-5) 0-4 f’s, P McMahon (1-1), B O’Connell, S O’Leary (0-1) each.

1: Killian Normoyle

17: Martin Moran
3: Ryan Griffin
4: Martin O’Connor

5: Oisin Hanrahan
6: Seamus Collins
7: Brian Cahill

8: Matt O’Shea (Captain)
12: Enda Finucane

10: Cian Meaney
15: Conor Finucane
9: Francie Hayes

13: Aaron Griffin
11: Niall Kelly
20: Paul Nagle

2: Michael Madigan for Matt O’Shea (h/t) inj
19: Shane Griffin for Paul Nagle (40)
24: Luke Griffin for Cian Meaney (55)
21: Sean Hayes for F Hayes (57)

1 Darren Cleary

2: Brian Murphy
3: Joe Neylon,
4: Brian Casey

7: Morgan Garry
8: James Murphy,
6: Conor Gavin

21: Evan Flynn
9: Gary Brennan

12: Eoin Gavin,
11: Mark Crowe
10: Brandon O’Connell

13: Daniel Kelly
14: Barry Toner
15: Cormac Reidy

29: Sean O’Leary for Mark Crowe (15)
23: Francie Neylon for Brian Casey (h/t)
28: Podge McMahon for Daniel Kelly (41)
30: Shane Brennan for Eoin Gavin (49)
5: Cillian Brennan for Evan Flynn (53)

Referee: Niall Quinn (St. Joseph’s Miltown)

Related News

Scroll to Top