Leaving Certificate examinations have been postponed due to COVID-19 with the Junior Certificate to be replaced.

Scheduled to commence in June, the Leaving Cert will now begin in either late July or early August. A move which was confirmed by Taoiseach Leo Varadkar (FG) and Minister for Education Joe McHugh (FG) on Friday afternoon. The new timetable will be confirmed in June.

Admissions for higher education which are managed by the Central Applications Office (CAO) will operate as closely as possible to the traditional timeframe for offers. Deadlines for a number of practicals and project work is to be extended until late July. An initial deadline of Friday May 15th had been set by officials in the Department of Education.

Students sitting the exam will return to school for two weeks in July as preparation. Practicals will be held in late July or early August.

A survey of almost 30,000 Leaving Cert students by the Irish Second Level Students’ Union found that almost half (49 per cent) wanted to cancel the exams and use already-completed coursework to decide their grades. The survey was carried out last week.

Meanwhile the Junior Certificate is to be revamped because of the virus. It will be replaced by a series of school-based examinations that will be carried out at the beginning of the school year.

Schools are to remain closed until further notice. The possibility of them reopening before the current term resumes has not been ruled out.

Minister McHugh stated, “Students and their families have been seeking clarity. Today’s announcement addresses that. It also provides them with several weeks of advance notice to prepare for the examinations. I hope it helps to alleviate some stress being experienced by students and their families at this time.

“Asking Leaving Certificate students and their families to refocus their attention from June to August is not something we do lightly. I know it will not be easy. However, I believe it is the fairest way of assessing students and giving them certification of achievement in school and a pathway to higher and further education and training, apprenticeship or work.”

He acknowledged the positive engagement with unions, management bodies, the further education and training and higher education sectors on all of these issues. “I am grateful for the co-operation shown by all concerned, in what is a very challenging situation for our young people, their families and teachers. I am confident we can continue to work together in a supportive spirit to help secure the best outcomes for students”.

Minister of State for Higher Education, Mary Mitchell O’Connor (FG) said: “The third level institutions look forward to welcoming this year’s Leaving Certificate students who have applied to enter their courses. I appreciate the particular challenges these students have had to face and I welcome the flexible approach indicated by the sector to enabling these students to take up a place in the year ahead.”

A new date for the start of the 2020/21 college term could not be provided by Minister McHugh.

Related News

corofin 26-07-19 8
Lack of urgency to install EV charging points 'in climate crisis' slammed by Cllrs
Joe Melody pod ep 5 thumbnail
Business Chamber Episode 5: Joe Whelan
shannon airport solar farm darragh o'brien ray o'driscoll 1
€6.6m investment at Shannon Airport sees Ireland's first airfield solar PV farm & extension of passenger gates
clare county council budget abbey street 1-2
Who said what as Clare County Council decided to hike up commercial rates by 8%
Latest News
bridge utd v grattan utd 16-11-25 filip mostowy 3
Tough ties for Bridge Utd & Newmarket Celtic in Munster Junior Cup last 16
clooney quin v whitegate camogie 13-11-21 12 emma deegan
Gallagher doesn't look back in anger following Clooney/Quin's Munster final loss
Joe Melody pod ep 5 thumbnail
Business Chamber Episode 5: Joe Whelan
shannon airport solar farm darragh o'brien ray o'driscoll 1
€6.6m investment at Shannon Airport sees Ireland's first airfield solar PV farm & extension of passenger gates
clare county council budget abbey street 1-2
Who said what as Clare County Council decided to hike up commercial rates by 8%
Premium
Health Minister says emergency department for Clare will be reviewed in 2026
'We're pinching ourselves at times wondering is this real' - Mills making the most of Munster run
Journey of Traveller children to school along Quin Rd 'an accident waiting to happen'
Lisdoonvarna's healing waters underline need to improve Sulphur Bridge
Éire Óg not as bad as scoreline suggests - Daniels

Subscribe for just €3 per month

If you’re here, you care about County Clare. So do we. Did you rely on us for Covid-19 updates, follow our election coverage, or visit The Clare Echo every week for breaking news and sport? The Clare Echo invests in local journalism and we want to safeguard its future in our county. By becoming a subscriber you are supporting what we do, will receive access to all our premium articles and a better experience, while helping us improve our offering to you. Subscribe to clareecho.ie and get the first six months for just €3 a month (less than 75c per week), and thereafter €8 per month. Cancel anytime, limited time offer. T&Cs Apply. www.clareecho.ie.