*Shane McGrath gets to the sliotar before Gearoid Hanrahan. Photograph: Ruth Griffin. 

FEAKLE treated their final round clash with Corofin as knockout and have adopted a ‘no more second chances’ approach.

A quarter-final tie against Crusheen awaits the East Clare side who reached the semi-finals in 2023. A second round loss to Kilmaley was sandwiched between wins over Cratloe and Corofin which saw them claim top spot in Group 2.

Speaking to The Clare Echo, Feakle manager said the favourites tag which was placed on them prior to the Corofin clash carried a burden. “We were installed as favourites coming into this match and no one ever likes been put in as a favourite to win any match. Corofin are there on merit. They are a senior team, they came up from intermediate last year. They were always going to stand up and fight, they weren’t going to go down without putting in a big shift, so there is great relief for us that we have qualified for the quarter finals”.

He said Fiachra Donnellan’s green flag was a lucky one which made a dent on the scoreboard and arguably made their eight point win appear more flattering. “We had to battle, we always knew they were going to come at us. They were two or three points up before we got motoring. We had said to the lads, you have to be patient and things will work out if you work hard enough and be honest throughout. We did get the scores. We got a fortuitous goal towards the end but overall we were mature in the way we played. We got good scores and thank God it worked out”.

Losing to Kilmaley in round two made everyone sit up and realise no more mistakes could be tolerated, Conway said. “Knockout hurling started for us once we got beaten by Kilmaley in the last round, it was knockout today. From here on there are no more second chances and no more scoring difference, it’s must win”.

Related News

cathal crowe jim o'callaghan joe cooney 1
Clare will get more Gardaí & Justice Minister open to reviewing merged policing model with Tipperary
shannon airport asu may 26-2
Eight recruits appointed to Shannon Airport's search unit
joe cooney jennifer carroll macneill 1
Chances of new acute hospital in Clare are very slim
ennis courthouse tent 24-02-21 4
Man accused of €2m drug bust in Kilmihil tells court he was told consignment was 'car parts'
Latest News
coachford vs avenue 10-05-26 mark murphy ronan kerin 1
Tulla last Clare team standing in FAI as Avenue & Newmarket crash out
clare vs tipperary 16-05-26 ian galvin 2
Clare topple Tipp to get championship campaign back on track
noel jordan 1
Lisdoonvarna retailer jailed for two years & seven months for sexual assault of schoolboy in 1980s
golf ball rain
Winning Pierce Purcell starts for Kilrush, Dromoland & Spanish Point
cathal crowe jim o'callaghan joe cooney 1
Clare will get more Gardaí & Justice Minister open to reviewing merged policing model with Tipperary
Premium
Newmarket Celtic recapture crown as Premier Division champions
Tony Griffin goes 'full circle' with return to Clare hurling fold
Changes expected to Clare team for Tipp tie
Man accused of €2m drug bust in Kilmihil tells court he was told consignment was 'car parts'
Clare businessman applies to demolish €1m Lahinch home and build one double in size

Annual Subscription!

The Clare Echo annual subscription for just €69.99 a year. 

Prefer to pay monthly? Click the monthly option and get the first six months for just €3 a month (less than 75c per week), and thereafter €8 per month. 

Cancel anytime, limited time offer. T&Cs Apply. www.clareecho.ie.