No account yet? Register

Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on linkedin
Share on whatsapp
Jims roofing 2008

No account yet? Register

*Photograph: Gerard O’Neill

Champions Kilmihil were rocked on Monday evening in round 2 of the Clare ladies senior football championship when they were defeated by their neighbours Cooraclare who were making their first appearance in the competition for 2020.

In a tie played in Kilmihil, the teams were level at 1-3 each at half time and they were still level at the second water break but Cooraclare edged ahead in the closing minutes for a merited win in a tie played in difficult weather conditions.

Brianna Byrne was Cooraclare’s goalscorer in the first half while Emma O’Grady found the net for the title holders. Caoilfhinn Morrissey goaled for Cooraclare in the second half. The final score was 2-6 to 1-4.

A win for Cooraclare over St Josephs Doora/Barefield next Monday in a tie that will be played in Cooraclare would see them top the group and go through to the semi-finals of the competition whereas victory for St Josephs would leave the three teams in the group with one win each which would lead to score difference determining the order in which the teams would finish in the group

The game between West Clare Gaels and the Banner was postponed due to a bereavement.

Meanwhile, in the intermediate championship, Fergus Rovers made it two wins from two outings when they scored a 2-14 to 0-4 over Doonbeg in a game played at Lissycasey.

Sarah Mullins and substitute Aisling Costello were the goal scorers for the winners who had recorded a hard earned two point win over Liscannor in the opening round.

Miltown and Liscannor played their second round intermediate championship game in Miltown and this tie ended in a draw, 2-13 for Miltown to Liscannor’s 3-10.

Miltown looked to be heading for victory when they led by six points approaching the end but Liscannor struck for two goals to earn a share of the spoils. Eimear Keane and Grainne Meade were the home side’s goalscorers

The remaining game in this championship, Burren Gaels v Eire Og was postponed due to a waterlogged pitch.

Subscribe to our FREE Newsletter

* indicates required

Related News

Scroll to Top