For the sixth time in nine days, Clare has recorded a single figure daily increase of new COVID-19 cases.

On Monday, the Department of Health confirmed an additional 270 cases across the country, 6 of which are in Clare, 103 in Dublin, 34 in Limerick, 20 in Donegal, 12 in Cork, 9 in Kerry, 9 in Kilkenny and the remaining 77 are split between 19 counties.

One further COVID-19 death has been notified to health authorities bringing the national death toll to 1,948.

Clare’s fourteen day incidence rate (138.9) per 100k of the population remains below the national rate (161.0). A total of 19 counties including Clare fall below the national rate. The country’s rate is among the smallest in Europe with only Estonia, Finland and Norway with lower numbers.

Latest hospital data which is from 2pm on Monday detailed that 12 hospitalisations were recorded over the past 24 hours. Currently 291 persons are being treated for the virus in Irish hospitals, 39 of which are in ICUs.

Speaking at Monday’s press briefing, Chief Medical Officer, Dr Tony Holohan said it was “certainly too early for celebration” so far as reports of a vaccine were concerned after Pfizer stated its vaccine was 90 percent effective. He confirmed that a vaccine trial was not completed in Ireland, “We’re hopeful that we will be able to see good data when it goes to regulators”.

Dr Cillian De Gascun, Medical Virologist and Director of the National Virus Reference Laboratory noted that the announcement from Pfizer was positive but said the duration of protection is unknown as of yet.

Recommendations from NPHET are expected to be issued regarding Christmas visits. Dr Holohan said it was too early “to speculate” at this juncture about Christmas.

“It has taken the full set of Level 5 restrictions to bring about change,” Dr Holohan commented of the dropping cases in certain counties. He repeated his advice for the public not to wear face visors, “they don’t work”.

NPHET intend to continue with the full Level 5 restrictions for six weeks, Holohan stated. “I don’t see us being in a position to accelerate”.

Related News

m18 protest 12-04-26 4
Justice Minister defends actions during fuel protest & 'doesn't care' if it weakens chances of becoming Fianna Fáil leader
siobhan Divilly1
Civic reception for ladies football star Siobhán
CNBlueFlagAwards-2
14 Blue Flags & Green Coast Awards for Galway
cloister ennis 09-03-26 1
'This can make the town' - refreshed plans submitted for Cloister building
Latest News
m18 protest 12-04-26 4
Justice Minister defends actions during fuel protest & 'doesn't care' if it weakens chances of becoming Fianna Fáil leader
siobhan Divilly1
Civic reception for ladies football star Siobhán
clare vs tipperary u20 13-05-26 ronan pat kilroy 1
Clare's immense appetite makes U20 success taste much sweeter for Kilroy
CNBlueFlagAwards-2
14 Blue Flags & Green Coast Awards for Galway
clare vs tipperary u20 13-05-26 mark sheedy 3
'Trust your instincts' - Sheedy shows nerves of steel with superb shootout saves
Premium
Clare crash out of Tailteann Cup with limp display against Longford
Lorna leads Clare to winning championship start over Dublin
Clare minor hurlers survive Dublin scare to advance to All-Ireland quarter-finals
Goals push Clare minors into quarter-final of Paul McGirr Cup
'This can make the town' - refreshed plans submitted for Cloister building

Annual Subscription!

The Clare Echo annual subscription for just €69.99 a year. 

Prefer to pay monthly? Click the monthly option and get the first six months for just €3 a month (less than 75c per week), and thereafter €8 per month. 

Cancel anytime, limited time offer. T&Cs Apply. www.clareecho.ie.