*Agnes O’Malley speaking on behalf of Inch residents on Wednesday night. Photograph: John Mangan

INCH RESIDENTS HAVE committed to continue their protest for the long-haul and have voiced disappointment with senior Government officials.

Meetings took place on Wednesday morning between Clare’s Oireachtas members and Minister for Children, Equality, Disability, Integration and Youth, Roderic O’Gorman (GP).

On Monday evening, 34 male asylum seekers arrived at Magowna House with locals reacting immediately to mount blockades which have been manned for the past three days.

Locals had refrained from commenting on Wednesday in the aftermath of Minister O’Gorman’s meeting with the Clare politicians but issued a collective statement outside Magowna House on Wednesday night.

Agnes O’Malley who lives just a stone’s throw from Magowna House spoke on behalf of the Inch locals. “Having read the Minister’s reply to our elected representatives today, we feel disappointed and let down with his response. Our position as a community is that this location is totally unsuitable for this purpose, we invite Minister O’Gorman to come down in-person to view the location and accommodation. Our peaceful protests will continue”.

Speaking in Dublin earlier on Wednesday evening, Minister O’Gorman said of his meeting with Clare TDs and Senators, “We went through a number of the local concerns that the TDs and senators raised, particularly in terms of transport for international protection applicants. We set out there would be a shuttle bus and addressed a number of issues. We said we were open to engagements and indeed meeting with a delegation of locals from the Inch community and that’s something we’d look to advance”.

Magowna House “had to be used” due to the accommodation pressure in the country, Minister O’Gorman said. He criticised the blockade at Magowna House as “entirely unacceptable”.

“People have the right to protest, people have the right to disagree with Government policy, but to prevent people accessing the accommodation that they have is not acceptable,” he added.

When questioned by reporters in the capital, Minister O’Gorman would not be drawn on whether he would travel to Co Clare, but said he was open to an online discussion or a meeting of a delegation to address local concerns.

Related News

siobhan Divilly1
Civic reception for ladies football star Siobhán
CNBlueFlagAwards-2
14 Blue Flags & Green Coast Awards for Galway
cloister ennis 09-03-26 1
'This can make the town' - refreshed plans submitted for Cloister building
carrigaholt post office 18-05-26 gabriel keating maura mckiernan 7
'Tremendous opportunity for Carrigaholt' says Keating with Irish College 'in the middle of planning process'
Latest News
clare vs tipperary u20 13-05-26 mark sheedy 3
'Trust your instincts' - Sheedy shows nerves of steel with superb shootout saves
clare vs longford 23-05-26 mark mcinerney ronan sweeney 1
Clare crash out of Tailteann Cup with limp display against Longford
clare vs dublin camogie 23-05-26 lorna mcnamara 2
Lorna leads Clare to winning championship start over Dublin
clare vs dublin minor 23-05-26 gearoid madden donnacha mckenna 1
Clare minor hurlers survive Dublin scare to advance to All-Ireland quarter-finals
clare vs limerick minor 06-04-26 liam keane 2
Goals push Clare minors into quarter-final of Paul McGirr Cup
Premium
Clare minor hurlers survive Dublin scare to advance to All-Ireland quarter-finals
Goals push Clare minors into quarter-final of Paul McGirr Cup
'This can make the town' - refreshed plans submitted for Cloister building
Carrigaholt's community spirit comes to the fore to lift Loop Head Peninsula
Qualifying for All-Ireland series 'was crucial' says Lohan as Clare answer big questions

Annual Subscription!

The Clare Echo annual subscription for just €69.99 a year. 

Prefer to pay monthly? Click the monthly option and get the first six months for just €3 a month (less than 75c per week), and thereafter €8 per month. 

Cancel anytime, limited time offer. T&Cs Apply. www.clareecho.ie.