An illegal encampment in Ennis has been vacated with pressure mounted by elected representatives and residents in recent weeks over the health and safety concerns associated with the site.

Located near the Castle Rock estate on the Tulla Rd, the encampment was vacated on Tuesday night. It was the subject of a cross-party debate at a meeting of Clare County Council earlier this week.

For the second week in a row, Cllr Johnny Flynn (FG) brought the matter to the attention of Clare County Council. Speaking at Monday’s adjourned meeting of the local authority, he detailed that the site was an environmental, traffic and COVD-19 hazard. “Residents are concerned the illegal encampment is breaking all guidelines on social distancing,” Flynn stated. He said that a collective decision was made to only send three representatives of the residents to the public gallery at the meeting but that over 100 residents wanted action as the location was becoming “filthy”.

Mayor of Clare, Cllr Mary Howard (FG) highlighted that the site on which they were on is privately owned and may be a matter for the HSE as opposed to Clare County Council. She commented, “I have spoke to people who have witnessed people at the encampment going to the toilet in broad daylight”. She described the encampment as appalling and said as of Monday evening no reports had been made to Gardaí. “It is wrong and horrible that ye have to go through this,” she said to residents.

A visit to the Castle Rock Estate was paid by Cllr Mark Nestor (FF) on Sunday evening. “The photos are very distressing. This is a private site, how did they get in? I can’t imagine they just rocked up with what they have. Are the private landowners facilitating this type of behaviour,” he questioned.

Ennis “seems to be a town that draws in Travellers wherever they are going,” Cllr Ann Norton (IND) remarked. Cllr Pat Daly (FF) called for a meeting of An Garda Síochána, the HSE, Clare County Council and the landowner “to get rid of these people”. Cllr Paul Murphy (FG) stated that the behaviour could not be tolerated.

Personnel living in illegal encampments must be monitored to see if they have social housing, Cllr Joe Killeen (FF) maintained. Cllr Joe Garrihy (FG) noted it is “a situation around the county. It has become very pertinent during COVID-19. It needs a multi-agency approach. It has potential to become an enormous problem if it is not dealt with”.

Speaking on behalf of the Council, Noeleen Fitzgerald said the matter was a trespass issue. “Clare County Council wouldn’t have any right on the site,” she commented.

Related News

11022026_Smithstown_Light_Engineering_0136
Smithstown Light Engineering help Coláiste team to ignite for F1 in schools
blake's corner bob singer
Threefold increase in roads funding for Co Clare
25
'This is harder than Hyrox' - Kilmaley back on the hunt for The Toughest Tribe
TMP_8382 padraic hayes
Clare Leader Forum pushing for once-off emergency cost of disability payment
Latest News
clare v fermanagh 15-02-26 dermot coughlan brian mcnamara 1
Coughlan hopeful Clare will kick on after picking up first league win
TMP_8382 padraic hayes
Clare Leader Forum pushing for once-off emergency cost of disability payment
newmarket celtic vs avenue utd 30-11-25 eoghan thynne 1
Thynne is on Avenue's side in Shannon Town late show, Tulla thump Fair Green & Kilrush move on in Clare Cup
shannon airport terminal upgrade 1-2
Construction starts on €15m upgrade of arrivals area in Shannon Airport
Photograph by Eamon Ward
Dooley says Ireland should fulfill fixtures against Israel & backs call for game to be held in Dublin
Premium
GALLERY: Banner bask in Junior glory
Clare footballers leap into gear with six point win over Fermanagh
Avenue, Bridge, Dons & Tulla progress to last 16 of Clare Cup
GALLERY: O'Callaghans Mills celebrate promotion to top tier at victory social
McNamara rescues a draw for Clare in capital league opener

Subscribe for just €3 per month

If you’re here, you care about County Clare. So do we. Did you rely on us for Covid-19 updates, follow our election coverage, or visit The Clare Echo every week for breaking news and sport? The Clare Echo invests in local journalism and we want to safeguard its future in our county. By becoming a subscriber you are supporting what we do, will receive access to all our premium articles and a better experience, while helping us improve our offering to you. Subscribe to clareecho.ie and get the first six months for just €3 a month (less than 75c per week), and thereafter €8 per month. Cancel anytime, limited time offer. T&Cs Apply. www.clareecho.ie.