*Photograph: Arthur Ellis

Kilkee’s iconic diving boards are to return in the very near future.

Following discussions among active divers in the locality, Cllr Cillian Murphy (FF) brought up the matter with engineers in the West Clare Municipal Distirct and received confirmation that the boards will be put back up in the very near future.

“I’m delighted to say the boards will be put back up very shortly, we are just waiting on some Covid signage and we will be ready to go,” Cllr Murphy stated.

Locals and visitors have welcomed the announcement and described it is “a sure sign that summer is really here”. The boards had been removed due to COVID-19.

Clare County Council previously removed the boards in 2015 citing safety concerns. However, two years later the diving boards at Newfy were reinstalled after funding was secured by the community led by local businesses.

An annual diving competition has been held at the spot where the diving boards are located. There is a long history of boards at the popular coastal spot in West Clare.

Related News

cathal crowe jim o'callaghan joe cooney 1
Clare will get more Gardaí & Justice Minister open to reviewing merged policing model with Tipperary
shannon airport asu may 26-2
Eight recruits appointed to Shannon Airport's search unit
joe cooney jennifer carroll macneill 1
Chances of new acute hospital in Clare are very slim
ennis courthouse tent 24-02-21 4
Man accused of €2m drug bust in Kilmihil tells court he was told consignment was 'car parts'
Latest News
clare vs tipperary 16-05-26 ian galvin 2
Clare topple Tipp to get championship campaign back on track
noel jordan 1
Lisdoonvarna retailer jailed for two years & seven months for sexual assault of schoolboy in 1980s
golf ball rain
Winning Pierce Purcell starts for Kilrush, Dromoland & Spanish Point
cathal crowe jim o'callaghan joe cooney 1
Clare will get more Gardaí & Justice Minister open to reviewing merged policing model with Tipperary
newmarket celtic vs bridge utd 15-05-26 jack kelly conor mcdaid david mccarthy 1
Newmarket Celtic recapture crown as Premier Division champions
Premium
Newmarket Celtic recapture crown as Premier Division champions
Tony Griffin goes 'full circle' with return to Clare hurling fold
Changes expected to Clare team for Tipp tie
Man accused of €2m drug bust in Kilmihil tells court he was told consignment was 'car parts'
Clare businessman applies to demolish €1m Lahinch home and build one double in size

Annual Subscription!

The Clare Echo annual subscription for just €69.99 a year. 

Prefer to pay monthly? Click the monthly option and get the first six months for just €3 a month (less than 75c per week), and thereafter €8 per month. 

Cancel anytime, limited time offer. T&Cs Apply. www.clareecho.ie.