*Concerns have been voiced on the rising violence in Cloughleigh. 

NO INJURIES have been reported in an incident which saw a firearm discharged in Ennis on Wednesday evening.

A firearm was discharged by the Hermitage/Cloughleigh roundabout on Wednesday evening at approximately 5pm, at a time when a heavy amount of traffic is passing the area.

One hooded man was seen running from a car with a weapon when the sounding of a gunshot was heard.

Speaking to The Clare Echo, a spokesperson for An Garda Síochána confirmed they were “making enquiries into reports of the discharging of a firearm” in Cloughleigh.

According to the spokesperson no injuries have been reported as late as Thursday evening.

“Gardaí are appealing to any witnesses to this incident to come forward. Anyone with any information that may assist in this investigation is encouraged to contact Ennis Garda Station at 065 684 8100,” the spokesperson added.

This latest incident follows the starting of three house fires in the wider Cloughleigh area over the past seven months. Properties at Gordon Drive, Childers Rd and John Paul Avenue were all targeted.

Ennis based, Cllr Johnny Flynn (FG) at the most recent sitting of the Ennis Municipal District last month called for the deployment of the Criminal Assets Bureau (CAB) to the area while voicing his shock at “the level of damage by criminal elements”.

Cllr Flynn stated, “Maybe we need to get CAB down to look at this criminality, it is having a huge impact on neighbourhoods, it is getting to a stage where someone will be killed and it will probably be somebody innocent”.

Use of “words like feuds glorify it,” he said of the ongoing situation. The former Mayor of Ennis believed the involvement of commercial and physical assets in the activities warranted the presence of CAB the county town.

Related News

tom nolan jennifer carroll macneill 1
West Clare doctor tackles Health Minister over lack of investment in primary healthcare
noel jordan 1
Lisdoonvarna retailer jailed for two years & seven months for sexual assault of schoolboy in 1980s
cathal crowe jim o'callaghan joe cooney 1
Clare will get more Gardaí & Justice Minister open to reviewing merged policing model with Tipperary
shannon airport asu may 26-2
Eight recruits appointed to Shannon Airport's search unit
Latest News
lorna mcnamara 1-2
Player of the month award for Lorna Mc
atlantic aviation group
Profits increased threefold to €3.12m at Atlantic Aviation Group
adrian trueick 1-2
Co-founder of Knight Frank Ireland appointed to board of Shannon Airport Group
clare v cork 20-04-25 cusack park tickets 1
Cusack Park 'needs development' - board told stand of county grounds 'not fit for purpose'
tom nolan jennifer carroll macneill 1
West Clare doctor tackles Health Minister over lack of investment in primary healthcare
Premium
Clare topple Tipp to get championship campaign back on track
Lisdoonvarna retailer jailed for two years & seven months for sexual assault of schoolboy in 1980s
Newmarket Celtic recapture crown as Premier Division champions
Tony Griffin goes 'full circle' with return to Clare hurling fold
Changes expected to Clare team for Tipp tie

Annual Subscription!

The Clare Echo annual subscription for just €69.99 a year. 

Prefer to pay monthly? Click the monthly option and get the first six months for just €3 a month (less than 75c per week), and thereafter €8 per month. 

Cancel anytime, limited time offer. T&Cs Apply. www.clareecho.ie.