*Photograph: Burren Eye Photography

All GAA club fixtures have been postponed until further notice.

Following a meeting of the GAA Management Committee on Monday morning, it has been decided to suspend all club fixtures and activity in clubs. Social centres and bars affiliated to GAA clubs will be forced to close as a result. The directive applies to all ages and clubs on the island.

At present, training is still permitted but this will change if tighter restrictions are introduced.

In correspondence issued to clubs from the Association, it is stated, “The decision has been taken in the interest of public safety following a number of incidents that have been brought to our attention in recent days”.

Officials noted that “in particular” post-match celebrations and a lack of social distancing at certain events “have proved disappointing and problematic”.

A joint statement from Ladies Gaelic Football Association (LGFA) President Marie Hickey and Director General Helen O’Rourke confirmed that alternative dates for the provincial championships were to be explored.

Clare GAA had been praised for managing to conclude the senior and intermediate hurling and gaelic football championships. Next weekend’s scheduled Junior A football decider between The Banner and Ballyvaughan is impacted as a result as is Inagh/Kilnamona’s outing in the Munster club senior camogie final.

Bord na nÓg officials had stated they would monitor the rising number of COVID-19 cases before setting a definite date for the start of the U16 championships. The resumption of the U21 hurling campaign is also in doubt.

Members of the Clare minor football panel are currently self-isolating after they travelled via bus to a challenge game in Galway on Friday last. Panellists have tested positive for COVID-19 subsequently. GAA clubs including Corofin and St Josephs Doora/Barefield had suspended all activity before Monday afternoon’s development.

No clarity has been provided regarding the planned start of the inter-county championships. Further guidance is expected following a Cabinet meeting to discuss NPHET’s recommendation to put the entire country at Level 5 on the Living with COVID-19 framework.

Related News

cathal crowe jim o'callaghan joe cooney 1
Clare will get more Gardaí & Justice Minister open to reviewing merged policing model with Tipperary
shannon airport asu may 26-2
Eight recruits appointed to Shannon Airport's search unit
joe cooney jennifer carroll macneill 1
Chances of new acute hospital in Clare are very slim
ennis courthouse tent 24-02-21 4
Man accused of €2m drug bust in Kilmihil tells court he was told consignment was 'car parts'
Latest News
clare vs tipperary 16-05-26 ian galvin 2
Clare topple Tipp to get championship campaign back on track
noel jordan 1
Lisdoonvarna retailer jailed for two years & seven months for sexual assault of schoolboy in 1980s
golf ball rain
Winning Pierce Purcell starts for Kilrush, Dromoland & Spanish Point
cathal crowe jim o'callaghan joe cooney 1
Clare will get more Gardaí & Justice Minister open to reviewing merged policing model with Tipperary
newmarket celtic vs bridge utd 15-05-26 jack kelly conor mcdaid david mccarthy 1
Newmarket Celtic recapture crown as Premier Division champions
Premium
Newmarket Celtic recapture crown as Premier Division champions
Tony Griffin goes 'full circle' with return to Clare hurling fold
Changes expected to Clare team for Tipp tie
Man accused of €2m drug bust in Kilmihil tells court he was told consignment was 'car parts'
Clare businessman applies to demolish €1m Lahinch home and build one double in size

Annual Subscription!

The Clare Echo annual subscription for just €69.99 a year. 

Prefer to pay monthly? Click the monthly option and get the first six months for just €3 a month (less than 75c per week), and thereafter €8 per month. 

Cancel anytime, limited time offer. T&Cs Apply. www.clareecho.ie.