*Photograph: John Mangan

A French national has pleaded guilty to the dangerous driving causing the death of a 71-year old motorcyclist outside the Burren village of Ballyvaughan in North Clare last July.

At Ennis Circuit Court, Olivier Le Bozec (42), with the assistance of an interpreter, pleaded guilty to dangerous driving causing the death of Jeremiah (Jerry) Oโ€™Connor on the N67 leading out of Ballyvaughan on the morning of July 27th last.

Saturday was the first year anniversary of Mr Oโ€™Connorโ€™s death and his widow, Helga Himmelsbach was in court for the arraignment hearing.

Solicitor for Mr Le Bozec, John Casey told the District Court previously that his client, wife and child had arrived in Ireland just the day before the fatal collision to commence their holiday here.

Mr Le Bozec of Rue Georges Cadoudal, Locoal Mendon, France was driving his own French registered car when the collision occurred.

In court, Michael Collins SC told the court that his client โ€œis a French national and was holidaying in Ireland with his wife and son when this tragic accident occurredโ€.

Mr Collins said, โ€œHe lives and works in France and has travelled here today and for the sentencing hearing he will require the services of an interpreterโ€.

Counsel for the State, Lorcan Connolly SC (instructed by State Solicitor, Aisling Casey) suggested a sentencing date of November 8th.

Judge Francis Comerford said that a case like this is one of the serious cases a court can deal with when there is a loss of life.

Judge Comerford said that the case would be the first case dealt with on November 8th.

Mr Connolly said that Mr Oโ€™Connorโ€™s partner was in court for the hearing and said that a victim impact statement will be required for the sentencing hearing.

Judge Comerford remanded Mr Le Bozec on continuing bail to November 8th which allows him to return home to France pending the sentencing hearing.

Those convicted of dangerous driving causing death in the Circuit Court can face up to five years in prison.

Since her husbandโ€™s death, Mr.Oโ€™Connor’s widow, Helga Himmelsbach has been campaigning for improved signage and safer roads in the Ballyvaughan region.

Ms Himmelsbach has said that she is hopeful Mr Oโ€™Connorโ€™s death will be the catalyst for critical traffic calming measures in the region.

Related News

corofin 26-07-19 8
Lack of urgency to install EV charging points 'in climate crisis' slammed by Cllrs
Joe Melody pod ep 5 thumbnail
Business Chamber Episode 5: Joe Whelan
shannon airport solar farm darragh o'brien ray o'driscoll 1
โ‚ฌ6.6m investment at Shannon Airport sees Ireland's first airfield solar PV farm & extension of passenger gates
clare county council budget abbey street 1-2
Who said what as Clare County Council decided to hike up commercial rates by 8%
Latest News
john o'brien marie crowe ronan murphy 1
Local history of Sixmilebridge revisited in new publication
o'callaghans mills v abbeydorney 02-11-25 darragh moroney seรกn boyce cotter colm cleary fionn hickey conor henry anthem 1
Munster final 'a huge game' & massive opportunity for O'Callaghans Mills
corofin 26-07-19 8
Lack of urgency to install EV charging points 'in climate crisis' slammed by Cllrs
bridge utd v grattan utd 16-11-25 filip mostowy 3
Tough ties for Bridge Utd & Newmarket Celtic in Munster Junior Cup last 16
clooney quin v whitegate camogie 13-11-21 12 emma deegan
Gallagher doesn't look back in anger following Clooney/Quin's Munster final loss
Premium
Gallagher doesn't look back in anger following Clooney/Quin's Munster final loss
Who said what as Clare County Council decided to hike up commercial rates by 8%
Health Minister says emergency department for Clare will be reviewed in 2026
'We're pinching ourselves at times wondering is this real' - Mills making the most of Munster run
Journey of Traveller children to school along Quin Rd 'an accident waiting to happen'

Subscribe for just โ‚ฌ3 per month

If youโ€™re here, you care about County Clare. So do we. Did you rely on us for Covid-19 updates, follow our election coverage, or visit The Clare Echo every week for breaking news and sport? The Clare Echo invests in local journalism and we want to safeguard its future in our county. By becoming a subscriber you are supporting what we do, will receive access to all our premium articles and a better experience, while helping us improve our offering to you. Subscribe to clareecho.ie and get the first six months for just โ‚ฌ3 a month (less than 75c per week), and thereafter โ‚ฌ8 per month. Cancel anytime, limited time offer. T&Cs Apply. www.clareecho.ie.