WITH all roads leading to Semple Stadium on Sunday, there’s bound to be a few tailbacks.
In order to minimise this, Thurles Gardaí have got in touch with us here at The Clare Echo and asked us to share some info with you lovely people.
Superintendent Patrick Murphy, Thurles Garda Station stated:
“I want to appeal to all patrons attending these matches to be patient and allow sufficient time for their journey and to be guided by Gardai on Traffic Duty.
“I especially want to make the following appeal to all patrons attending the game – if you must park on the road ensure your car is turned for home, this is to ensure the minimum delay after the matches.
“Most supporters travelling will be coming via Nenagh and Roscrea and delays are expected. Supporters travelling via Tipperary Town should consider continuing to Cashel and travelling up the M8 Motorway to Exit 6 at the Horse & Jockey”.
PLEASE USE ALTERNATIVE ROUTES SUGGESTED HEREUNDER AND ALLOW EXTRA TIME FOR YOUR JOURNEY AS A LARGE CROWD IS EXPECTED.
- Double yellow lines are in place around Kennedy Park to allow for access for Emergency Vehicles. Please ensure you obey these parking restrictions and do not park on same.
- Match traffic is not permitted to park on footpaths in the vicinity of Semple Stadium. Parking tickets will be issued to vehicles parked on footpaths
- Car parks will be available on all approach routes and we urge that they be used by all patrons on their particular route thus avoiding unnecessary delays after the match.
- Arrive in Thurles in good time for the matches.
- Co-operate with the car park attendants and Gardai to ensure the free flow of traffic.
- The area in the immediate vicinity of Semple Stadium will be kept completely free of parked vehicles and controlled by Garda Barriers.
- The housing estates at the rear of Semple Stadium form an EMERGENCY ROUTE from the Stadium and any vehicles not belonging to residents will be towed, without exception.
- Please do not abandon cars on the main routes. Keep driving until you meet Gardai on duty at relevant car parks. If you must park on the road ensure your car is turned for home, this is to ensure the minimum of delay after the matches.
- A traffic diversion programme will be in place within Thurles and all motorists are asked to be patient during its operation. Every effort will be made to ensure that motorists can transgress the town with a minimum of delay.
Clare supporters have an option on the following main routes:
- Via Limerick, travel the N24 to Tipperary, the N74 to Cashel, the M8 to Exit 6 for Horse & Jockey and the N62 to Thurles.
- Via Limerick, travel the N24 to Tipperary, the N74 to Cashel, the R639 (Old N 8) to Horse & Jockey and the N62 to Thurles.
- Via Limerick, travel the N24 to Tipperary, the R661 to Dundrum, the R661 to Holycross and either the R659 or R661 to Thurles.
- From Ennis or Killaloe and Birdhill, and travel the R503 to Newport and via Milestone to Thurles.
- Via Limerick or Ennis, Killaloe and Birdhill travel the M7 to Nenagh and the R498 via Borrisoleigh and the Ragg to Thurles.
Galway supporters have the option of the following main routes:
- From Galway travel the M6 and onto the N65 to Portumna, Borrisokane, onto the N52 to Nenagh and then onto the R498 to Borrisoleigh and into Thurles.
- From Galway travel the M6 and onto the N65 to Portumna, the R489 to Birr and the N62 to Roscrea, Templemore and into Thurles.
- From Galway travel the N18 to Gort, onto the M18 to Limerick and onto the M7 to Nenagh and exiting at Junction 25 onto the R498 to Borrisoleigh and into Thurles.
- Patrons in possession of passes (G.A.A. and Invalid) should display same in a prominent place on their vehicle and follow the Garda directions en route. These passes are not parking permits but allow free movement subject to Garda discretion and traffic control.
- Thurles Gardai do not issue passes.
Illegally Parked Vehicles:
Vehicles found illegally parked will be towed away to the Garda Compound and will not be released until the statutory expenses (€125.00) have been paid. In addition a prosecution could be instituted against the driver / owner of the vehicle concerned.
The Gardai appeal to all motorists to:
- Secure and lock their vehicles.
- Leave no valuables on display.
- Park in supervised car parks.
- Pick Pockets – beware of your wallet, money and A.T.M/Credit Cards. Leave your wallet at home if possible. Do not carry large sums of cash.
- Alcohol, Claxton Air Horns and Vuvuzelas will not be allowed into Semple Stadium.
“We appeal to all concerned to make this outing a memorable day for the right reasons and to co-operate with Gardai, Stewards and encourage others to do the same,” Supt Murphy added.