Residents in Ennistymon are “up in arms” over instances of violence in the North Clare town.

Gardaí are investigating a criminal damage incident by fire which occurred at a residence at Glen North in Ennistymon on January 26th. The investigation has been ongoing for the past two weeks.

A spokesperson for An Garda Síochána told The Clare Echo, “Extensive damage was caused to the property by the blaze. No injuries were reported and no arrests have been made”.

Speaking at Monday’s meeting of the Clare Joint Policing Committee, former Fine Gael councillor Bill Slattery lamented the lack of resources within Clare County Council and An Garda Síochána impeding their ability to enforce legislation surrounding illegal encampments.

He said a second house in Ennistymon was “burnt to the ground” at what was regarded one of the best housing estates in the area up until recent years “but certain people have ruined it”.

The Clare Echo understands that the other house fire referenced was not linked to the recent incident and it occurred many years ago.

Another encampment has emerged in a residential area, Slattery flagged. He said the local authority and the Gardaí have tried their best on the matter but noted a portaloo had been moved in.

“I thought you could not set up illegal encampment within 5km of a halting site, houses had been offered to them. Something has to be done with these people, I’m not a racist but we can’t be burning houses, Ennistymon has three halting sites, something has to be done. The residents are up in arms,” the Lahinch man stated.

Superintendent John Galvin told The Clare Echo, “Ennistymon is a very safe community where An Garda Síochána is well supported by the people. I would appeal to members of the general public who may have any information which they believe may be of assistance in this investigation to make contact with Gardaí at Ennistymon or any Garda Station”.

Related News

judge courtroom
Former HSE hospital porter receives 45 month prison term for sexual assault of child
cannabis shannon 11-05-26 1
Cannabis worth €620k seized in Shannon Airport
ashfield house 5
Revised remit agreed for Ennis 2040 DAC & €5m spent on current live projects
micheál macgearailt 1
Shannon group has nationwide appeal
Latest News
garda youth awards winners 2
Clare teenagers inspire as winners of eight annual Garda Youth awards are named
ballyea warrior declan mcdonagh noel gavin 1
Ballyea Warrior wins in Shelbourne
judge courtroom
Former HSE hospital porter receives 45 month prison term for sexual assault of child
cannabis shannon 11-05-26 1
Cannabis worth €620k seized in Shannon Airport
ashfield house 5
Revised remit agreed for Ennis 2040 DAC & €5m spent on current live projects
Premium
Clare sweat on injured trio for effective Munster semi-final
Luxury suite sells for record €940k at Trump Doonbeg
Clare target return to All-Ireland quarter-finals
Intimidation, anti-social behaviour & lack of Garda resources in Ennistymon flagged with Minister
Carrigaholt shows rural communities how to stand up to retain local services

Annual Subscription!

The Clare Echo annual subscription for just €69.99 a year. 

Prefer to pay monthly? Click the monthly option and get the first six months for just €3 a month (less than 75c per week), and thereafter €8 per month. 

Cancel anytime, limited time offer. T&Cs Apply. www.clareecho.ie.