*Ennistymon’s Tiernan Hogan. Photograph: Gerard O’Neill

REIGNING CUSACK Cup champions Ennistymon have moved to the top of the table after recording a second win.

Round two action in the FutureTicketing Cusack Cup and Real Print Garry Cup took place across the Easter Bank Holiday weekend.

There was some entertaining contests including both games on Friday.

Kilmurry Ibrickane and St. Joseph’s Doora/Barefield at Quilty on Friday night. Both were chasing a first win in this season’s campaign having lost their opening round ties. In a game which could have gone either way, the home side prevailed with experienced duo, Shane Hickey and Enda Coughlan playing key roles. Up the road in Miltown Malbay the home side and St. Breckans shared the spoils.

On Sunday, Ennistymon moved to the top of the table with their second win of the campaign while Kildysart got their first points on the board with victory over their neighbours Clondegad

Meanwhile in Division 2 (Garry cup), Éire Óg recorded their second win when accounting for Cooraclare while Kilmihil had a comfortable victory over Ballyvaughan, both games played on Friday night, On Sunday, Corofin had their second successive win when accounting for Doonbeg in a fiery encounter.

Kilrush Shamrocks and O’Currys face off on Wednesday in the Garry Cup.

Kilmurry Ibrickane edge lively contest

Kilmurry Ibrickane 2-10
St. Joseph’s Doora/Barefield 2-8
Venue: Páirc Naomh Mhuire, Quilty

The lead changed hands on a number of occasions throughout this lively contest. The visitors started well and opened a two-point lead but Kilmurry rallied and levelled at 0-3 each.

A pin point delivery from Shane Hickey found Enda Coughlan and he blasted to the roof of the net. Oisin Sexton followed with a point and the eventual winners led by four.

Doora/Barefield bounced back and Conor Brannock found the net and the sides went to the break on level terms at 1-5 each.

Enda Coughlan manages to hold off Eoin Cleary. Photograph: Gerard O’Neill

The visitors had the better of the early exchanges in the second half and they hit the front when Nicki Hardiman found he net from the penalty spot after he had been hauled down.

Back came Kilmurry Ibrickane and an Oisin Sexton goal saw the sides level yet again. When Cian McDonough was blackcarded, St. Joseph’s looked to be in trouble but they held their own when down a player and everything pointed to a share of the spoils when the teams were level inside the final ten minutes.

Kilmurry Ibrickane finished strongly and two points in the closing minutes sealed victory for them on an evening when Andrew Shannon, Shane Hickey, Oisin Sexton and Enda Coughlan were prominent.

Conall Kelleher, Michael Nash, Joe Rafferty, Nicki Hardiman and Paddy Bugler did well for the visitors.

Kilmurry Ibrickane: David Sexton; Shay Gleeson, Andrew Shannon (0-1), Diarmuid Comber; Dara Sexton, Michael Comber, Paudie Murrihy; Diarmuid King, Caoilfhinn O’Dea; Colin Considine, Shane Hickey (0-1), Oisin Sexton (1-4, 0-1 f), Daryn Callinan (0-3, 2frees), Joe Campbell, Enda Coughlan (1-1);

Subs: Jason Cussen for O’Dea (inj.); Aaron Considine for Campbell; Damian Lynch for Coughlan; Maurice Donnellan for M. Comber;

St Joseph’s Doora/Barefield Tom O’Brien; Peter Collins, Eoin Boyle, Colin Dorgan; Sam Costelloe, Cian McDonough, Cormac Maher; Conall Kelleher (0-2, frees), Mchael Nash; Odhran O’Connell, Joe Rafferty (0-1), Conor Daly (0-1); Paddy Bugler (0-3, 2frees), Nikki Hardiman (1-1, 1-0 penalty) Conor Brannock (1-0);

Subs: Oisin O’Donnell for Costello (inj); Cian Moloney for Brannock

Referee; Fergal O’Brien (Broadford)

Miltown & Breckans ends all square

St Joseph’s Miltown 1-10
St Breckan’s 1-10
Venue: Hennessy Memorial Park, Miltown Malbay

By Páraic McMahon

Leading for the majority of the opening half, St Breckan’s had to kick 1-2 without reply to rescue a draw against St Joseph’s Miltown on Friday evening.

It was a repeat of last year’s county semi-final but both sides were depleted of a host of first-choice starters, still it was a competitive affair played to a relatively decent standard.

Spectators who travelled to Miltown Malbay from the Ennis direction would have viewed floodlights in operation in close proximity as the lights from Hennessy Memorial Park and Páirc Naomh Mhuire in Quilty shone to indicate the Cusack Cup version of Friday Night Lights was in full flow.

Dale Masterson’s return to the St Breckan’s colours was the highlight for the North Clare men. The former Clare panellist missed the entirety of their run to the county final last season as he continued his rehabilitation from an ACL injury, his experience and presence in the middle third gave them a visible lift on Friday evening and will only strengthen their threat in this year’s championship, he also managed to kick a point on the forty fourth minute.

Cian Mahony. Photograph: Burren Eye Photography

Well-taken scores served as a feature of this second round clash with Cian Mahony kicking three nice points from distance in the opening half while Liam Tierney himself scored an excellent point from distance with twenty five minutes on the clock.

Paul Keane opened the scoring for Miltown inside forty five seconds before Colm O’Brien steadied himself to respond. Padraig Kelly then shoved the visitors ahead until Mahony produced the first of his points.

Miltown regained the lead through efforts from Micheál Murray and Mahony until a glorious chance fell to St Breckan’s as Seanie Malone was deemed to have committed a foul by referee Chris Maguire resulting in a penalty which Kelly drove over the cross bar.

Gearoid Curtin’s involvement in the contest ended on twenty two minutes ended thanks to a hamstring injury, a possible indicator of the lack of work done by the sides to date with players going from a low base to the intensity involved in a competitive game.

Kelly’s penalty did level matters and points from Liam Tierney and O’Brien helped the men from the Spa to a slender 0-6 0-5 advantage.

There was far more energy stemming from Martin Guerin’s Miltown on the restart and it helped them to kick 1-4 without reply. Dominic Griffin kicked two white flags, Darragh McDonagh added another while substitute Ralph Whelehan had the all-important flick to put the ball in the back of the net to cap off a fine team-move which commenced with a Jamesie O’Connor turnover, was progressed with Cian Mahony breaking the line to find Oisin Looney who did a 1-2 combo with Brian Curtin before offloading to the substitute at corner forward.

Colm O’Brien eventually got St Breckan’s off the mark with forty two minutes played before McDonagh added his second minutes later.

Prior to this both goalkeepers were called upon. Sean O’Brien stopped Maccon Byrne from raiding for goal while at the other end Conor O’Neill denied Brian Curtin from getting Miltown’s second green flag.

O’Brien made his second stop from Byrne with a vital flick on fifty two minutes, the Clare U20 goalkeeper coach put his body on the line and felt the after-effects when stopping Byrne who had the ball on the floor when shooting, similar to his days lining out with Burren Utd.

St Breckan’s managed to get 1-2 in the final seven minutes and keep Miltown scoreless for the final eleven minutes to ensure they took a share of the spoils, the goal coming from Kelly after a slight blunder from O’Brien.

Scorers St Joseph’s Miltown: C Mahony (0-3), R Whelehan (1-0), D Griffin (0-2), D McDonagh (0-2), P Keane (0-1), O Meade (0-1).

Scorers St Breckan’s: P Kelly (1-4 3f I’Pen), C O’Brien (0-3), L Tierney (0-1), D Masterson (0-1), R Danaher (0-1).

St Joseph’s Miltown: Sean O’Brien; Eoin O’Brien, Seanie Malone, Enda O’Gorman; Cian Mahony, Gordon Kelly, Jamesie O’Connor; Darragh McDonagh, Micheál Murray; Paul Keane, Brian Curtin, Oisin Looney; Oisin Meade, Gearoid Curtin, Dominic Griffin.

Subs: Euan Lineen for G Curtin (22) (inj), Ralph Whelehan for Murray (HT), Kevin Kyne for O’Connor (47).

St Breckan’s: Conor O’Neill; Paddy Haugh, Conor Burke, Ronan Fitzpatrick; Patrick Doherty, Liam Tierney, Thomas O’Dwyer; Mark O’Donnell, Padraig Kelly; Maccon Byrne, Colm O’Brien, Eoghan Kelly; Conor Shannon, Shane Fitzpatrick, Rowan Danaher.

Subs: Dale Masterson for O’Donnell (35), Cathal Morgan for Shannon (45)

Referee: Chris Maguire (Wolfe Tones)

Ennistymon move to top of the table

Ennistymon 2-7
Lissycasey 0-8
Venue: Lahinch

A livelier Ennistymon moved to the top of the Cusack Cup league table with this merited win over Lissycasey at Lahinch on Sunday.

While the visitors will be disappointed with the number of chances they missed, they were spared a heavier defeat by goalkeeper Killian Normoyle who produced four outstanding saves during the course of this tie.

A Keelan Guyler goal separated the sides at half time when the score was 1-4 to 0-4. They had the opening three points of the second half to stretched their advantage to six before Lissycasey hit back with a brace of points but they missed a good goal opportunity and Ennistymon went up field and Tiernan Hogan landed a good point.

A Gearoid Barry goal after a fine save by Normoyle sealed victory for the home side.

EnnistymonL Noel Sexton; Conor Rynne, Dara Conneally, John Murphy; Joe Casey, Joey Rouine, Tiernan Hogan (0-1); Dara Rouine, David McNamara; Ciaran McMahon, Ryan Barry, Niall Canavan (0-2); Darren McNamara, Gearoid Barry (1-2), Keelan Guyler (1-2)

Subs: Paudie Considine for Guyler (inj.) Joe dowling for R. Barry; Brian McNamara for Rynne.

Lissycasey: Killian Normoyle (0-1); Evan O’Haire, Aaron Clohessy, Michael Meaney; Daire Hill, Conor Meaney, Cyril Sheehan; Niall McCarthy, Ben Skerritt; Luke Griffin (0-1), Enda Finnucane (0-1), Daire Killeen (0-1); Niall Kelly, Conor Finnucane (0-2), Fionn Cotter (0-1);

Subs: Francis Hayes for Clohessy; Stephen Davoran for Skerrott; Kevin Shivers for O’Haire; Shane Culligan (0-1) for Kelly; Ronan McCarthy for Cotter;

Referee: Barry Kelly (St Joseph’s Miltown)

Kildysart victorious in Shannon Estuary derby

Kildysart 1-11
Clondegad 1-7
Venue: Páirc Mhichil Ui Eithir, Ballynacally

By Páraic McMahon

Bragging rights are with Kildysart following the local derby with Clondegad in the Cusack Cup but more importantly it is the first points on the board for the David Butler managed side who lost out to St Joseph’s Miltown in the opening round.

On the flipside, there will be disappointment for Clondegad who failed to build on their first round win over St Breckan’s and paid the price for a poor first half showing in this contest where they were ten points down with nineteen minutes played.

Luke McGrath. Photograph: Gerard O’Neill

Very few if any side will be at full strength during the Cusack Cup but even Kildysart have far more personnel to come back into the mix compared with Clondegad, their county trio of Emmet McMahon, Diarmuid O’Donnell and Fergal Guinane acted as water carriers when they landed in Ballynacally following Clare training.

By the seventh minute mark, Kildysart led 0-4 0-0 with three frees from Luke McGrath and a point from centre-forward Seamus Casey. Throughout Clondegad struggled on their kickout retention when they went long and the loss of Gary Brennan will be keenly felt by the club. His younger brother Cillian remains sidelined with injury while Shane has retired, Sean McAllister is involved with the Clare U20s, both Morgan Garry and Brandon O’Connell have emigrated and they remained minus a chunk of Ballyea hurlers such as the Casey brothers.

Such a high turnover of players means James Murrihy and his management will have his work cut out to guide the side relegated from the top tier last year back to the senior ranks. Part of the reshuffle has resulted in former goalkeeper Declan O’Loughlin lining out at centre back.

Eoghan Gavin kicked their first score on eight minutes before Kildysart hit back with points from Oisin Coyne and Keith O’Connor.

O’Connor struck for a major on fifteen minutes, Conor Hassett gave a precision pass perfectly into his lap with O’Connor driving the ball low and hard past Darren Cleary to give them an unassailable lead.

Kieran McDonnell kicked Clondegad’s second score of the tie and it was a goal on twenty three minutes. Gavin and McGrath traded frees to leave it 1-9 1-2 in favour of the visitors at the break.

Clondegad took their time re-emerging for the second half but when they did take to the field they added two pointed frees from Gavin to lower the gap to five points.

Luke McGrath kicked Kildysart’s first score of the second half on thirty seven minutes but it was cancelled out by Joe Neylon at the other end and he nodded a salute to the crowd perched in front of the recently renovated clubhouse and dressing rooms after doing so.

It would take seventeen minutes for the next score of the game, the rain beginning to fall at this stage, Mossy Gavin executed a nice point off his right boot and it was followed by another Gavin free to lower the gap to three points with twenty nine minutes on the clock. The final score would fall to Conor Hassett as Kildysart despite producing a poorer second half ensured their foundation from the opening period was enough to see them claim the win.

Keith O’Connor, Conor Moloney, Keith Murphy, Luke McGrath and Oisin Coyle did best for the winners who showed the gulf between a side chasing a place in the knockout stages and one that will be bidding for such a route in the intermediate campaign.

Scorers Kildysart: L McGrath (0-6 6f), K O’Connor (1-1), S Casey (0-1), O Coyle (0-1), K Leahy (0-1), C Hassett (0-1).

Scorers Clondegad: E Gavin (0-5 5f), K McDonnell (1-0), M Gavin (0-1), J Neylon (0-1)

Kildysart: Kieran Eyres; Stephen Sheehan, Keith Leahy, Michael Eustace; Oisin Coyle, Conor Moloney, Rory McMahon; Keith O’Connor, Kieran O’Brien; Ryan Casey, Seamus Casey, Mikey Donnellan; Luke McGrath, Keith Murphy, Conor Hassett.

Subs: Jack Cotter for R Casey (HT), Mark Moloney for R McMahon (48) (inj), Damien Hill for Murphy (54), Conall Casey for Hill (59) (inj)

Clondegad: Darren Cleary; Niall Carrigg, Brian Murphy, Brian Longe; Conor Gavin, Declan O’Loughlin, Ryan Jennings; Diarmuid O’Neill, Mark Crowe; Kieran McDonnell, Evan Flynn, Joe Neylon; Eoghan Donnellan, Eoghan Gavin, Mossy Gavin.

Subs: Cillian Gavin for Crowe (13) (inj), Niall Lynch for Carrigg (44), Daniel Kelly for Neylon (46),

Referee: John O’Connell (Cooraclare)

Strong second half showing from Éire Óg

Éire Óg 1-11
Cooraclare 1-6
Venue: Cooraclare

Éire Óg came from being two points in arrears at half time to record their second win in as many outings in this Garry cup tie at Cooraclare on Friday night.

Helped by a Padraic O’Donoghue goal following a good move, the home side were two points clear at half time when the score was 1-4 to 0-5.

The had a chance to stretch that lead early in the second half but didn’t convert and Éire Óg went on to dominate the exchanges from here on.

Niall McMahon. Photograph: Gerard O’Neill

Niall McMahon was their goal scorer while six players shared in their points tally with Luke Moore contributing 0-4
Eire Og; Shane Daniels; Gearoid Collins, Aaron Fitzgerald, Dean D’Auria; Ciaran Russell, Dean Ryan Gavin D’Auria; Darren O’Neill, Jarlath Collins; Niall McMahon, Oran Cahill, Jack Joyce; Alex McNamara, Philip Talty, Luke Moore.

Subs; Eoin Guilfoyle for McNamara; Kevin Moloney for Talty; Tom Kavanagh for G D’Auria.

Cooraclare: Oisin Morrissey; Ciaran Chambers, Robert Ryan, Gearoid Lillis; Niall Gavin, Fergal Donnellan, Jimmy Gallagher; Jake Garry, James Burke; Kevin Marrinan, Padraic O’Donoghue, Sean O’Dea; John Lillis, Colin McNamara, Sean Molloy;

Subs: Kevin O’Gorman for Molloy; Paudie Hehir for J. Lillis; Aaron Townsend for Gavin; Rory Lillis for O’Donoghue

Referee: Niall Quinn (St Joseph’s Miltown)

Kilmihil in control

Kilmihil 5-13
Ballyvaughan 0-9
Venue: St Michael’s Park, Kilmihil

Four first half goals sent Kilmihil on their way to this comfortable victory over Ballyvaughan at Kilmihil on Friday night.

The more experienced outfit dominated from the start and deservingly picked up their first win of this campaign with goals from Shane Downes (2), Martin O’Leary, Dan Keating and Sean Crowley.

Shane Downes. Photograph: Gerard O’Neill

At half time they were four goals clear with the score at 404 to 0-4 and they continued to hold the upperhand throughout the second half when Martin O’Leary landed 0-6 to bring his tally for the evening to 1-7.

Kilmihil: Sean Scott Cafferkey; Fionn Febrarro, Padraig O’Grady, Padraig Lynch; Mikey Keating, Dan Keating (1-3), Gavin Downes (0-1); John Finnucane, Conor Finnucane; Jack Keating, Sean Crowley (1-0), David Coughlan; Michael Cotter (0-2), Shane Downes (2-0), Martin O’Leary (1-7));

Subs; Mark Linneen for P. Lynch; David Kelly for D Coughlan; Colm Pender for S. Downes;

Ballyvaughan; Damian McNamara; James Costello, Philip Queally, Joe Flanagan; Ian Woods, Cian Walsh, Noah Deenwy McNamara; Mark Walsh, James Howard (0-2); Martin Howard, Lorcan Doolin (0-1), Oisin Cassasin; Thomas Francis, John Martyn (0-6), Darragh O’Brien;

Sub: Matthew Irwin for Cassasin

Referee: Martin Downes (Naomh Eoin)

Hard earned win for Corofin

Corofin 1-8
Doonbeg 0-8
Venue: Páirc Finne, Corofin

Corofin made it two wins from two outings when they accounted for Doonbeg at Páirc Finne on Sunday.

Behind by the minimum margin at half time, the showed better form in the second half to win a hard fought contest.

It was 0-6 to 1-2 at the break the winner’s goal coming come from the penalty spot, converted by full back Damian O’Loughlin.

The loss of midfielder Cathal Killeen to a second yellow card didn’t help the visitors as the home side got a grip on the exchanges and they had good scores from the Cahill brothers, Diarmuid and Gearoid, Cillian McGroary and substitute Kevin Keane to seal a good win.

A big talking point from the game will be the full scale row which saw punches thrown in a 24-man melee, the outcome from which was a yellow card for each side.

Corofin: Eoin Davoran; Colin Fitzgerald, Damian O’Loughlin (1-0), Marc O’Loughlin; John Rees, Michael Cahill Cian Doolin; Gearoid Kelly, Cillian McGroary (0-1); Gearoid Hanahan, Gearoid Cahill (0-2), Josh O’Brien; Cathal Flanagan, Diarmuid Cahill (0-4), Enda Collins;

Subs: Kevin Keane (0-1) for Doolin; Sean O’Brien for Josh O’Brien; Cillian Clancy for Collins; Josh Ryan for Flanagan; Cilléin Mullins for Fitzgerald

Doonbeg; Eamonn Tubridy; Cian Clancy, James Killeen, Jason Linnane; Conor O’Mahoney. Kevin Pender, Sean Conway (0-2); Kevin McInerney (0-2), Cathal Killeen; Cian O’Mahoney David Tubridy (0-1), Mikie Tubridy; Eoin Conway, Paul Dillon (0-2), Eoghan Tubridy (0-1).

Subs; Eoin Killeen for E. Conway; Jamie Russell for P. Dillon (inj); Shane Bermingham for Mikie Tubridy;

Referee: Jim Hickey (Cratloe)

Related News

climate action galway 1-2
Galway County Council to reduce emissions by 51% by 2031 as part of new Climate Action Plan
ballynacally cottages 1
Steo Wall pays a visit to ancestral gigging spot of Johnny Doran
shannon airport gpsc 1
Pro-Palestine protestors arrested for attempting to block US military plane at Shannon Airport
cathal crowe matt moroney 1
Moroney resigns from Fianna Fáil to run as Independent Ireland candidate
Latest News
How Fertility Reflexology can benefit you
ballynacally cottages 1
Steo Wall pays a visit to ancestral gigging spot of Johnny Doran
golf ball green 1
Croke & O'Looney win in Ennis & Woodstock
shannon airport gpsc 1
Pro-Palestine protestors arrested for attempting to block US military plane at Shannon Airport
cathal crowe matt moroney 1
Moroney resigns from Fianna Fáil to run as Independent Ireland candidate
antoinette bashua baker-2
Challenging local election candidates criticise Ennis 2040's car park plans & DAC structure
peter o'connell madeline taylor quinn patrick keane páraic mcmahon
The Electoral Chair: What will influence West Clare voters / Peninsula penetration of runners
tommy brennan 1-2
€137k spent by Council installing armadillos and bollards in Ennis
tiermaclane machinery 1
Investigation underway following Tiermaclane arson attack
nilands tuamgraney 20-03-24 1
Supermac's to transform Tuamgraney site into Plaza

Subscribe for just €3 per month

If you’re here, you care about County Clare. So do we. Did you rely on us for Covid-19 updates, follow our election coverage, or visit The Clare Echo every week for breaking news and sport? The Clare Echo invests in local journalism and we want to safeguard its future in our county. By becoming a subscriber you are supporting what we do, will receive access to all our premium articles and a better experience, while helping us improve our offering to you. Subscribe to clareecho.ie and get the first six months for just €3 a month (less than 75c per week), and thereafter €8 per month. Cancel anytime, limited time offer. T&Cs Apply. www.clareecho.ie.

Subscribe for just €3 per month

If you’re here, you care about County Clare. So do we. Did you rely on us for Covid-19 updates, follow our election coverage, or visit The Clare Echo every week for breaking news and sport? The Clare Echo invests in local journalism and we want to safeguard its future in our county. By becoming a subscriber you are supporting what we do, will receive access to all our premium articles and a better experience, while helping us improve our offering to you. Subscribe to clareecho.ie and get the first six months for just €3 a month (less than 75c per week), and thereafter €8 per month. Cancel anytime, limited time offer. T&Cs Apply. www.clareecho.ie.

Scroll to Top