*Photograph: John Mangan

A JUDGE released an Ennis father of five young children from custody after an illegal Traveller encampment was removed from a ‘completely destroyed’ green area of Ennis.

At Ennis District Court on Friday, Judge Alec Gabbett released Martin Mongans (29) on bail after being told that three Mongans caravans were removed from a green area at Clancy Park, Ennis over lunchtime on Friday.

Mr Mongans whose youngest child is six weeks old had spent three nights in Limerick prison this week after Judge Gabbett found that he had breached his bail over the placing of a third caravan on the green area.

Earlier on Friday, Judge Gabbett said that he would be further remanding Mr Mongans in custody to March 19th after finding that he remained in breach of his bail conditions after being told that the three caravans remained on the site.

At 1.10pm on Friday, Judge Gabbett told Mr Mongans that if the caravans were removed the issue would be resolved and Mr Mongans could be granted bail.

On the family’s housing situation, Judge Gabbett said, “I am full of sympathy. The situation is dreadful”.

He said, “Mr Mongans has plenty of bodies to remove the caravans. Mr Mongans has the finest ‘meitheal’ I have seen in a long time with cousins and brothers and they are willing and able men. Why don’t they fix the problem”.

At 2.50pm, solicitor for Mr Mongans, Tara Godfrey returned to court with her client to say that the caravans had been removed from the Clancy Park green area.

Sgt Dominic Regan said that the caravans had been removed and they are currently on Drumbiggle Rd in Ennis.

Judge Gabbett granted Mr Mongans bail on condition that he refrain from placing the caravans in any residential area in Ennis.

Judge Gabbett said that the removal of the caravans and the release of Mr Mongans on bail was “a very satisfactory outcome”.

Ms Godfrey had earlier told the court that Clare County Council had instituted injunctive proceedings for the Circuit Court against her client over the placing of the caravans on the green area with the case due to be heard later this month.

Judge Gabbett warned Mr Mongans that he faced the risk of a costs bill running to tens of thousands of euro arising from the Council case.

He told Mr Mongans, “I wonder is it all worth it in the heel of the hunt. They are very expensive proceedings that the Council has to take and there is a very simple solution to all of this”.

However later on Friday in court with the removal of the caravans, Judge Gabbett told Mr Mongans “you have sorted all your own problems out. You are in control. No one else is controlling you which is really important and you have saved yourself from legal proceedings which is a significant financial gain to you”.

Judge Gabbett remanded Mr Mongans on bail to next Wednesday where he is being prosecuted for placing a caravan on the green area.

At a bail hearing for Mr Mongans earlier this week, Sgt Dominic Regan said that with the presence of three caravans on the green area “it has completely destroyed the area”.

Sgt Regan said, “The presence of rodents in the area is directly due to the rubbish being left as a result of this caravan.” He said that the public amenity “is completely destroyed”.

A senior Council Housing official and Homeless Co-ordinator said that Mr Mongans has been suspended from the Council housing list until April 24th due to his behaviour towards Council staff. She said that “any time Mr Mongans has come to our office he has threatened and he is abusive”. She said that a vacant home was offered to the Mongans family last year but was refused.

Related News

aidan hehir sam o'neill franky giuduci 1
CBS Primary Ennis students win Intel Mini Scientist competition
Additional Aer Lingus Shannon to Paris flight announced-2
Aer Lingus to run extra weekly flight from Shannon to Paris
11022026_Smithstown_Light_Engineering_0136
Smithstown Light Engineering help Coláiste team to ignite for F1 in schools
blake's corner bob singer
Threefold increase in roads funding for Co Clare
Latest News
blake's corner bob singer
Threefold increase in roads funding for Co Clare
25
'This is harder than Hyrox' - Kilmaley back on the hunt for The Toughest Tribe
clare v fermanagh 15-02-26 dermot coughlan brian mcnamara 1
Coughlan hopeful Clare will kick on after picking up first league win
TMP_8382 padraic hayes
Clare Leader Forum pushing for once-off emergency cost of disability payment
newmarket celtic vs avenue utd 30-11-25 eoghan thynne 1
Thynne is on Avenue's side in Shannon Town late show, Tulla thump Fair Green & Kilrush move on in Clare Cup
Premium
Warring Clare couple living in same home but only communicating via email
Supreme Court appeal prompts judge to adjourn trial of Pro-Palestinian activists at Shannon Airport
GALLERY: Banner bask in Junior glory
Clare footballers leap into gear with six point win over Fermanagh
Avenue, Bridge, Dons & Tulla progress to last 16 of Clare Cup

Subscribe for just €3 per month

If you’re here, you care about County Clare. So do we. Did you rely on us for Covid-19 updates, follow our election coverage, or visit The Clare Echo every week for breaking news and sport? The Clare Echo invests in local journalism and we want to safeguard its future in our county. By becoming a subscriber you are supporting what we do, will receive access to all our premium articles and a better experience, while helping us improve our offering to you. Subscribe to clareecho.ie and get the first six months for just €3 a month (less than 75c per week), and thereafter €8 per month. Cancel anytime, limited time offer. T&Cs Apply. www.clareecho.ie.