*Eamon Ryan. Photograph: Eamon Ward

MINISTER for the Environment, Climate and Communications, Eamon Ryan (GP) has insisted East Clare has “a big opportunity” when it comes to electric vehicles despite the absence of a single EV charging point in the area.

As it stands, there is no public EV charging points in the entirety of East Clare. In May, Clare County Council officials detailed that “worthwhile” locations in Killaloe had been identified as part of ongoing work with the Clare EV Strategy.

Zero Emission Vehicles Ireland has been established to lead on the delivery of the country’s ambitious target under the Climate Action Plan 2021 to have 945,000 electric vehicles in the Irish fleet by 2030.

Speaking to The Clare Echo, Minister Ryan said the targets were “real” and not aspirational despite the absence of such infrastructure in East Clare.

He stated, “we’re up to a very high percentage of new cars that are battery electric, we’re launching our zero emissions vehicle office in the coming weeks, with that will be significant funding for new and better charging infrastructure and we need that as part of the alternative.

“Particularly for rural Ireland there is real potential gain here, houses in the country can easily recharge at home but that’s not enough you need public charging as well, that is certainly a big opportunity compared with a lot of city people who might be living in an apartment or a row of houses where it is not as easy to get a charger, particularly for the likes of East Clare in my mind EVs are part of the future and they are coming quicker than people think”.

Both Cllr Tony O’Brien (FF) and Cllr Pat Hayes (FF) have raised the dearth of the charging points at sittings of the Killaloe Municipal District. “It is an important part on the agenda. I want to keep it live and keep it on the agenda, it is a hugely important piece of infrastructure if we want to attract tourists to our areas but also to encourage locals to buy electric cars,” Cllr O’Brien said on Wednesday morning.

Applications have been made to the ESB for connections at two points in Killaloe, acting senior executive engineer Derek Troy confirmed.

Related News

ashfield house 5
Revised remit agreed for Ennis 2040 DAC & €5m spent on current live projects
micheál macgearailt 1
Shannon group has nationwide appeal
Trump-Golf-Hotel-56
Luxury suite sells for record €940k at Trump Doonbeg
jim o'callaghan north clare 1
Intimidation, anti-social behaviour & lack of Garda resources in Ennistymon flagged with Minister
Latest News
offaly vs clare 09-05-26 brian mcnamara 3
Sink or swim for Clare's footballers in maiden Tailteann Cup campaign
bridge utd vs tulla utd 15-03-26 adam mcnamara 1
Tulla look to take down McGregor's Black Forge in FAI Junior Cup
Senior Women's Team Players
Clare volleyball players represent Ireland as national volleyball teams prepare for international competition
clare vs tipperary 16-05-26 rg damien mcmahon mark rodgers shelly mcnamara 1
Clare sweat on injured trio for effective Munster semi-final
Trump-Golf-Hotel-56
Luxury suite sells for record €940k at Trump Doonbeg
Premium
Clare target return to All-Ireland quarter-finals
Intimidation, anti-social behaviour & lack of Garda resources in Ennistymon flagged with Minister
Carrigaholt shows rural communities how to stand up to retain local services
Stritch shows star quality in starting debut
Disappointment but no surprise as Lahinch loses Blue Flag status

Annual Subscription!

The Clare Echo annual subscription for just €69.99 a year. 

Prefer to pay monthly? Click the monthly option and get the first six months for just €3 a month (less than 75c per week), and thereafter €8 per month. 

Cancel anytime, limited time offer. T&Cs Apply. www.clareecho.ie.