Fresh from securing their promotion to the Clare SFC, Leo Duggan expressed his confidence that St Josephs Doora/Barefield can leave a mark in the 2021 senior campaign.

Fitness and self-belief were key factors referenced by Leo as St Josephs Doora/Barefield overcame Corofin1-16 2-08 in Cusack Park on Sunday. They let the Corofin side dominate the opening half but this was nothing new given the way their campaign has functioned throughout 2020.

He said, “We’ve been funny all year, we haven’t started games too well, we played against Michael Cusacks in Corofin and we were six points down after fifteen minutes. The team is young, there is not a lot of experience, we didn’t panic and there is some serious young talent in that team, we always knew the fitness levels would come through in the end and we would finish games exceptionally well, we always knew we would finish strong. We have a serious bench, we have a great panel, any of the lads can play. We held on for the first half and drove on in the second”.

Uncertainty surrounding the running of the 2020 championship in the midst of a pandemic ensured Duggan and Doora/Barefield appreciated getting over the line and claiming the Talty Stores Trophy. “At the start of the year we didn’t know what was going to happen and we were just happy to get back training. The team is exceptionally young, the average age is nineteen or twenty, there is a couple of us in our late twenties, we’re trying to build for the future, the management came in last year and did a flaking job, we’re absolutely delighted and taking it game by game. We went out and tried to do the right things, it came off today and we’re delighted”.

A dual-player with the club, Leo admitted that the hurt of their semi-final defeat in the intermediate hurling championship inspired the footballers to take the chance. “We didn’t perform in the semi-final of the hurling against Tubber and we were bitterly disappointed, we had a good few lads that were involved in both and that disappointment drove lads on both. We want to be senior in both, we think we’re good enough to be senior in both, we want to be competing and there is no reason why next year we can’t drive on in the intermediate hurling and be back in senior”.

Kevin Frehill’s side have the ability to cause upsets in next year’s senior campaign, the Barefield based primary school teacher believed. “There was a great game in the senior final but there is no reason why this team can’t push on next year, the teams that have come up from intermediate have done really well at senior, anything can happen on a given day. If we put our heads down and add a couple more young lads, there is more great talent coming through, the average age of the team is so young that we’re only going to be able to drive on”.

Related News

corofin 26-07-19 8
Lack of urgency to install EV charging points 'in climate crisis' slammed by Cllrs
Joe Melody pod ep 5 thumbnail
Business Chamber Episode 5: Joe Whelan
shannon airport solar farm darragh o'brien ray o'driscoll 1
€6.6m investment at Shannon Airport sees Ireland's first airfield solar PV farm & extension of passenger gates
clare county council budget abbey street 1-2
Who said what as Clare County Council decided to hike up commercial rates by 8%
Latest News
john o'brien marie crowe ronan murphy 1
Local history of Sixmilebridge revisited in new publication
o'callaghans mills v abbeydorney 02-11-25 darragh moroney seán boyce cotter colm cleary fionn hickey conor henry anthem 1
Munster final 'a huge game' & massive opportunity for O'Callaghans Mills
corofin 26-07-19 8
Lack of urgency to install EV charging points 'in climate crisis' slammed by Cllrs
bridge utd v grattan utd 16-11-25 filip mostowy 3
Tough ties for Bridge Utd & Newmarket Celtic in Munster Junior Cup last 16
clooney quin v whitegate camogie 13-11-21 12 emma deegan
Gallagher doesn't look back in anger following Clooney/Quin's Munster final loss
Premium
Gallagher doesn't look back in anger following Clooney/Quin's Munster final loss
Who said what as Clare County Council decided to hike up commercial rates by 8%
Health Minister says emergency department for Clare will be reviewed in 2026
'We're pinching ourselves at times wondering is this real' - Mills making the most of Munster run
Journey of Traveller children to school along Quin Rd 'an accident waiting to happen'

Subscribe for just €3 per month

If you’re here, you care about County Clare. So do we. Did you rely on us for Covid-19 updates, follow our election coverage, or visit The Clare Echo every week for breaking news and sport? The Clare Echo invests in local journalism and we want to safeguard its future in our county. By becoming a subscriber you are supporting what we do, will receive access to all our premium articles and a better experience, while helping us improve our offering to you. Subscribe to clareecho.ie and get the first six months for just €3 a month (less than 75c per week), and thereafter €8 per month. Cancel anytime, limited time offer. T&Cs Apply. www.clareecho.ie.