Clarity is to be provided on the 2020 Clare senior hurling management tonight (Wednesday).

Clubs received notification on Tuesday morning that a meeting would be taking place in Clareabbey on Wednesday evening with one item on the agenda, the Clare senior hurling management team.

Gerry O’Connor and Donal Moloney’s three year tenure as joint managers of the senior hurlers expired when Clare failed to progress out of the province in June. O’Connor stepped down in September with Moloney expressing an interest to continue in sole charge, however on Sunday afternoon the Scariff man withdrew his name citing “ongoing uncertainty” regarding the appointment process. He had presented his proposed management team to the Clare County Board three weeks ago.

Two time All-Ireland winner Brian Lohan has confirmed his interest in taking on the role as in the favourite according to The Irish Times. However The Irish Examiner have claimed Louis Mulqueen, a former Clare selector and Galway coach is the “front-runner” to get the job. Both Lohan and Mulqueen were understood to have been interviewed for the post today (Tuesday).

Speaking to The Clare Echo last week, County Board Chairman Joe Cooney outlined, “We’re working on filling all three positions at the moment, we are interviewing different management teams and we’d be hoping to have something in place for the next County Board meeting”. The Clare County Board stated at their September sitting that they would provide more information to delegates at the October gathering and Cooney confirmed this is the deadline by which they hope to have the appointments completed for, no date has been set as of yet for this meeting.

Cooney was not aware of comments made by members of Moloney’s backroom team who publicly described the process as “disrespectful”. “We have been talking to Donal on a number of occasions over the last month, we have sat down with him on two occasions and we have explained the process we are taking at the moment”.

Sean Doyle and Fergal Lynch took charge of the U20 and minor hurlers respectively for the first time this year and it is unclear if they will be seeking a second year. They have also spoken with the Chairman.

Related News

cathal crowe jim o'callaghan joe cooney 1
Clare will get more Gardaí & Justice Minister open to reviewing merged policing model with Tipperary
shannon airport asu may 26-2
Eight recruits appointed to Shannon Airport's search unit
joe cooney jennifer carroll macneill 1
Chances of new acute hospital in Clare are very slim
ennis courthouse tent 24-02-21 4
Man accused of €2m drug bust in Kilmihil tells court he was told consignment was 'car parts'
Latest News
clare vs tipperary 16-05-26 ian galvin 2
Clare topple Tipp to get championship campaign back on track
noel jordan 1
Lisdoonvarna retailer jailed for two years & seven months for sexual assault of schoolboy in 1980s
golf ball rain
Winning Pierce Purcell starts for Kilrush, Dromoland & Spanish Point
cathal crowe jim o'callaghan joe cooney 1
Clare will get more Gardaí & Justice Minister open to reviewing merged policing model with Tipperary
newmarket celtic vs bridge utd 15-05-26 jack kelly conor mcdaid david mccarthy 1
Newmarket Celtic recapture crown as Premier Division champions
Premium
Newmarket Celtic recapture crown as Premier Division champions
Tony Griffin goes 'full circle' with return to Clare hurling fold
Changes expected to Clare team for Tipp tie
Man accused of €2m drug bust in Kilmihil tells court he was told consignment was 'car parts'
Clare businessman applies to demolish €1m Lahinch home and build one double in size

Annual Subscription!

The Clare Echo annual subscription for just €69.99 a year. 

Prefer to pay monthly? Click the monthly option and get the first six months for just €3 a month (less than 75c per week), and thereafter €8 per month. 

Cancel anytime, limited time offer. T&Cs Apply. www.clareecho.ie.