AHEAD of the 2025 season, the GAA has moved to impose a charge for U16 spectators attending some senior hurling and football matches.

The previously free admission tickets now cost €5 and can only be purchased along- side an adult ticket. This new cost is only applicable for matches in Divisions 1 and 2 for the National Football League and Divisions 1A and 1B for the hurling equivalent.

In a statement, the GAA explained: “This new ar- rangement has been intro- duced after consultation with our counties and to assist with event control and health and safety protocols for fixtures that attract bigger attendances.”

All other ticket prices re- main unchanged for the up- coming season.

On Monday at the monthly County Council meeting, Cllr Paul Murphy (FG) put forward a motion for Clare County Council to call on the GAA to reverse this decision.

“This levy is aimed at the top 2 divisions in hurling and football. It is nothing but a money-making racket at a time when the GAA’s pocket has never been heavier” said Cllr Murphy.

Clarecastle native Murphy believes that this extra charge will discourage attendance and engagement with the GAA. The added condition that a U16 ticket may only be pur- chased with an adult ticket will further discourage underage players and their families from participating in GAA matches as well as taking away teenagers’ independence.

“We are the home county of Michael Cusack, a founding member of the GAA and I’m sure Cusack would be turn- ing in his grave if he heard of this” said Murphy.

Cllr. Tony O’Brien shared his support and agrees that this extra cost on families could impact the communities engagement with the GAA. “I think it’s a cynical move by the GAA based on an isolated incident. I think it’s going to discourage participation and attendance.”

Cllr Pat Burke also shared his support for the motion to reverse the decision made by the GAA. He expressed that he believes that this change was made due to an isolated health and safety incident and Clare supporters should not be punished for the actions of other clubs.

Related News

judge courtroom
Former HSE hospital porter receives 45 month prison term for sexual assault of child
micheál macgearailt 1
Shannon group has nationwide appeal
Trump-Golf-Hotel-56
Luxury suite sells for record €940k at Trump Doonbeg
jim o'callaghan north clare 1
Intimidation, anti-social behaviour & lack of Garda resources in Ennistymon flagged with Minister
Latest News
clare vs tipperary 16-05-26 tony kelly 5
Rodgers & Taylor ruled out but Kelly included in Clare team with first starts for Galvin & Fitz
51mUs3LO2nL
Targeted solutions for prevention and healing of acne breakouts / problematic skin
clare vs tipperary 16-05-26 diarmuid ryan craig morgan 1
'Our year was on the line' - Ryan & Clare issue response to reignite championship campaign
garda youth awards winners 2
Clare teenagers inspire as winners of eight annual Garda Youth awards are named
ballyea warrior declan mcdonagh noel gavin 1
Ballyea Warrior wins in Shelbourne
Premium
Gough brings guile to Newmarket Celtic for unbeaten league success
Clare sweat on injured trio for effective Munster semi-final
Luxury suite sells for record €940k at Trump Doonbeg
Clare target return to All-Ireland quarter-finals
Intimidation, anti-social behaviour & lack of Garda resources in Ennistymon flagged with Minister

Annual Subscription!

The Clare Echo annual subscription for just €69.99 a year. 

Prefer to pay monthly? Click the monthly option and get the first six months for just €3 a month (less than 75c per week), and thereafter €8 per month. 

Cancel anytime, limited time offer. T&Cs Apply. www.clareecho.ie.