Clare politicians are seeking an amendment to Level 5 restrictions to enable Marts to remain open.

Under Level 5 restrictions, which were implemented, buyers have not been permitted access to sale rings at livestock marts. The online bidding system that has been put in use by livestock marts crashed on Saturday, causing disruption for farmers who are trying to sell their livestock. Other farmers have cautioned that it will lead to a reduction in the price of cattle.

On Saturday morning, Sixmilebridge Mart as unable to operate online for a period “due to inadequate internet infrastructure,” Deputy Michael McNamara stated. He believed the decision to close marts and move cattle sales online was “counterproductive and ill-considered”.

Speaking in the Dáil last week, the Clare TD warned that the decision will lead to more contacts occurring with farmers wanting to inspect animals in person before making a purchase. “The whole move to online is not the panacea is has been presented as, even clothes shops like Patrick Bourke Menswear in Ennis are distraught at what is happening because once you go online you are driving business out of the country”.

Cllr Alan O’Callaghan (FF) visited Sixmilebridge Mart on Saturday and has called on Minister for Agriculture Charlie McConlague (FF) to reverse the decision implemented by the Government. “I think it is shocking, some people are here to buy cows they would be in and gone, other people would be in to buy heifers and would be in and gone, it would be well controlled. I think it is madness and awful to see a facility like this closed at the minute”.

He flagged that at this time of years sales from the Marts represent “the only income” for several farmers. “The farmers cannot survive buying something that is live, that moves around and eats grass trying to buy it online without physically seeing the animal. It is disappointing,” the Kilmurry representative added.

Related News

noel jordan 1
Lisdoonvarna retailer jailed for two years & seven months for sexual assault of schoolboy in 1980s
cathal crowe jim o'callaghan joe cooney 1
Clare will get more Gardaí & Justice Minister open to reviewing merged policing model with Tipperary
shannon airport asu may 26-2
Eight recruits appointed to Shannon Airport's search unit
joe cooney jennifer carroll macneill 1
Chances of new acute hospital in Clare are very slim
Latest News
clare v cork 20-04-25 cusack park tickets 1
Cusack Park 'needs development' - board told stand of county grounds 'not fit for purpose'
tom nolan jennifer carroll macneill 1
West Clare doctor tackles Health Minister over lack of investment in primary healthcare
coachford vs avenue 10-05-26 mark murphy ronan kerin 1
Tulla last Clare team standing in FAI as Avenue & Newmarket crash out
clare vs tipperary 16-05-26 ian galvin 2
Clare topple Tipp to get championship campaign back on track
noel jordan 1
Lisdoonvarna retailer jailed for two years & seven months for sexual assault of schoolboy in 1980s
Premium
Lisdoonvarna retailer jailed for two years & seven months for sexual assault of schoolboy in 1980s
Newmarket Celtic recapture crown as Premier Division champions
Tony Griffin goes 'full circle' with return to Clare hurling fold
Changes expected to Clare team for Tipp tie
Man accused of €2m drug bust in Kilmihil tells court he was told consignment was 'car parts'

Annual Subscription!

The Clare Echo annual subscription for just €69.99 a year. 

Prefer to pay monthly? Click the monthly option and get the first six months for just €3 a month (less than 75c per week), and thereafter €8 per month. 

Cancel anytime, limited time offer. T&Cs Apply. www.clareecho.ie.