Co Clare has gone one full week without any additional cases of COVID-19 as health officials have also confirmed four further deaths and 16 new cases across the country.
Professor Philip Nolan, Chair of NPHET Irish Epidemiological Modelling Advisory Group outlined at Thursday’s press briefing that the cases this week and last week “strongly suggests there isn’t a resurgence in the population”.
Admissions to hospitals and intensive care “continue to decline,” he stated. Professor Nolan noted that the pattern this week was “almost identical to what it was last week”. The average number of COVID-19 patients per day is 73 and he said the figure today was 48 with 10 fewer people on average in intensive care.
“We have very strong indications that the disease in the country is at a very low level and is very stable,” Professor Nolan commented. He stated that the amount of people being tested is very high while the positivity rate is “slightly lower”.
Almost 60% of confirmed cases are isolated, Nolan said and occur in community or family settings, “the disease has been suppressed in those settings”.
Following the confirmation of 4 more deaths by the Health Protection Surveillance Centre, the Republic of Ireland’s death toll has risen to 1,714. 962 of the people to have died were nursing home residents.
16 additional cases have been notified to the HPSC bringing to 25,335 the total amount of cases since the outbreak of the virus. Less than 10 of new cases in recent days were related to travel abroad, “many of them are still under investigation on the detail of the sources,” Professor Nolan admitted and said two of the diagnoses were due to travelling in the UK and Sweden.
Clare 369 (0)
Kilkenny 350 (0)
Roscommon 344 (+1)
Kerry 308 (0)
Longford 285 (0)
Laois 264 (0)
Wexford 216 (0)
Carlow 171 (0)
Waterford 155 (+1)
Sligo 129 (0)
Leitrim 84 (0)#COVID19 no new cases in 20/26 counties.
— Páraic McMahon (@thepmanofficial) June 18, 2020
Detail from Tuesday (June 16th) has revealed that Co Clare has now gone a full week without any additional cases of COVID-19. A total of 369 persons have tested positive for the virus in the county since the beginning of March.