*Senator Timmy Dooley speaking to members of the Clare Solidarity Network in Corofin on Monday. Photograph: John Mangan

AN ELDERLY COROFIN man was left hospitalised by persons opposed to the potential housing of asylum seekers in the locality.

Video footage surfaced over the weekend over a high volume of beds crammed into a vacant property in the isolated part of Scool in Corofin with unconfirmed reports that this was set to house up to 40 asylum seekers, the garage on the property had also been renovated with beds put in there to increase the amount of men on site.

This led to a small protest taking place in Corofin en route to the property which was the location of the assault on Sunday evening.

Speaking on Monday, Senator Timmy Dooley (FF) told Corofin residents and representatives of the new North Clare branch of Clare Solidarity Network that no contract had been provided with the owner of the five-bedroom property which has not been lived in for some time.

Following initial reports that the property was set to be used for accommodating asylum seekers, locals had pitched themselves at a T-junction in Scool but had not cordoned off access to the road or formed a blockade on Monday evening. Those believed to be involved in the incident on Sunday were not present in Corofin the following evening.

The Clare Echo understands that a local man in his seventies tried to gain access to the road on Sunday evening and did not recognise the individuals he came across with two men stopping him from getting past.

Representatives of the Clare Solidarity Network told The Clare Echo the man had a torch shone in his face by these individuals and tried to proceed past them and ended up being hit with the torch into the face. He sustained facial injuries which required stitches at University Hospital Limerick (UHL).

A spokesperson for An Garda Síochána told The Clare Echo, “Gardaí are making enquiries into an alleged assault which occurred in Corofin, Co.Clare on Sunday night”. No formal complaint is understood to have been issued to the Gardaí.

An ambulance was requested by the man which transported him to UHL, he was released from hospital on Monday.

Residents living in close proximity told The Clare Echo they were not opposed to asylum seekers living in Corofin at the property but felt the potential figure of 40 was not safe.

Advertisement

Related News

jim gavin 2
Crowe rows in behind Jim Gavin to get Fianna Fáil nomination for Presidential election
1 Shannon Airport_Munster Rugby Women's Bus
Shannon Airport & Munster get new wheels ahead of Interpro final
Shannon, Ireland, June
Shannon will not receive 15 extra Gardaí despite claims of Govt TDs
Springfield3
€5.2m Springfield flood relief scheme 'makes fear & devastation of flooding a thing of the past' in Clonlara
Latest News
lahinch ladies golf
Lahinch ladies chasing senior cup honours
stephen murray cian mulrooney 1
Murray trained Bayview Wild finishes like a train
kildysart v kilmihil 29-08-25 conall casey stan lineen 1
Kildysart produce extra time kick to seal senior status & leave Kilmihil in relegation final
jim gavin 2
Crowe rows in behind Jim Gavin to get Fianna Fáil nomination for Presidential election
feakle v newmarket-on-fergus 08-08-25 oisin donnellan 1
'Next man up' the focus in Feakle despite injury crisis
Premium
Springfield3
€5.2m Springfield flood relief scheme 'makes fear & devastation of flooding a thing of the past' in Clonlara
st josephs miltown v doonbeg 16-08-24 sean neylon eoghan killeen 1
Doonbeg & Miltown to battle it out for last remaining quarter-final spot
ballymacaula 1
Plans for Ennis' largest housing scheme meet stumbling block
doolin coast guard
Coast Guard say they have no concerns over atmosphere in Doolin unit
Shannon Airport (2)
Rail link for Shannon Airport 'can be done & it's a matter of getting it done' says Junior Minister

Advertisement

Subscribe for just €3 per month

If you’re here, you care about County Clare. So do we. Did you rely on us for Covid-19 updates, follow our election coverage, or visit The Clare Echo every week for breaking news and sport? The Clare Echo invests in local journalism and we want to safeguard its future in our county. By becoming a subscriber you are supporting what we do, will receive access to all our premium articles and a better experience, while helping us improve our offering to you. Subscribe to clareecho.ie and get the first six months for just €3 a month (less than 75c per week), and thereafter €8 per month. Cancel anytime, limited time offer. T&Cs Apply. www.clareecho.ie.