*Pat Dowling. Photograph: John Mangan

Chief Executive of Clare County Council, Pat Dowling has warned that “difficult decisions” will have to made to help the county recover from COVID-19.

Addressing elected representatives at Monday’s meeting of the local authority, the first to take place since March, Dowling expressed confidence that the county will recover but not without consequences to the Council’s coffers.

“It has been a difficult few weeks for everybody, we’re still on that journey,” he stated. Pat praised all the Council staff for how they have adapted to the challenge posed while he outlined his appreciation with the daily messages of support received from county councillors.

He said, “the scale and depth of this societal affect is unknown for us all” and referred to statistics which included over 7 million confirmed cases around the world in 200 different countries and over 406,000 deaths, “that is the scale we are dealing with. All our challenges and difficulties must be put in that context”.

Communities of Co Clare have shown “compliance and common sense”, he believed. “Without doubt, the future will be tough. For many, the fear of the unknown consumes them but it is more the fear of the loss of the known, that is the kernel of the matter”.

In terms of the economic impact thus far, Dowling noted that gross domestic product (GDP) was down by over 10%, over 220,000 jobs were lost and 25% unemployment. “It is a picture and a canvass we could never have anticipated at the start of the year”.

Industries such as tourism, hospitality, retail, micro-enterprise, agriculture and FDI investment will be “most impacted”, he anticipated.

As previously reported by The Clare Echo, the local authority is to convene an economic taskforce in the coming weeks that will be headed up by Director of Economic Development, Liam Conneally. This group will include “key leaders” from the public and private sector, the Chief Executive revealed. A tourism taskgroup is also to be established. “The big challenge as well as economy and tourism will be and continues to be the financial stability of Clare County Council”.

“We’re all dealing with all of these challenges across every county, we’re not alone like former crises and depressions we’ve had. Difficult decisions will have to be made, it will be very difficult not to be in a deficit situation this year and in coming years,” the Kilkee resident added.

He concluded with a message of hope, “Come out the other end we shall, maybe not unscathed but we will come out the other end”.

Related News

corofin 26-07-19 8
Lack of urgency to install EV charging points 'in climate crisis' slammed by Cllrs
Joe Melody pod ep 5 thumbnail
Business Chamber Episode 5: Joe Whelan
shannon airport solar farm darragh o'brien ray o'driscoll 1
€6.6m investment at Shannon Airport sees Ireland's first airfield solar PV farm & extension of passenger gates
clare county council budget abbey street 1-2
Who said what as Clare County Council decided to hike up commercial rates by 8%
Latest News
john o'brien marie crowe ronan murphy 1
Local history of Sixmilebridge revisited in new publication
o'callaghans mills v abbeydorney 02-11-25 darragh moroney seán boyce cotter colm cleary fionn hickey conor henry anthem 1
Munster final 'a huge game' & massive opportunity for O'Callaghans Mills
corofin 26-07-19 8
Lack of urgency to install EV charging points 'in climate crisis' slammed by Cllrs
bridge utd v grattan utd 16-11-25 filip mostowy 3
Tough ties for Bridge Utd & Newmarket Celtic in Munster Junior Cup last 16
clooney quin v whitegate camogie 13-11-21 12 emma deegan
Gallagher doesn't look back in anger following Clooney/Quin's Munster final loss
Premium
Gallagher doesn't look back in anger following Clooney/Quin's Munster final loss
Who said what as Clare County Council decided to hike up commercial rates by 8%
Health Minister says emergency department for Clare will be reviewed in 2026
'We're pinching ourselves at times wondering is this real' - Mills making the most of Munster run
Journey of Traveller children to school along Quin Rd 'an accident waiting to happen'

Subscribe for just €3 per month

If you’re here, you care about County Clare. So do we. Did you rely on us for Covid-19 updates, follow our election coverage, or visit The Clare Echo every week for breaking news and sport? The Clare Echo invests in local journalism and we want to safeguard its future in our county. By becoming a subscriber you are supporting what we do, will receive access to all our premium articles and a better experience, while helping us improve our offering to you. Subscribe to clareecho.ie and get the first six months for just €3 a month (less than 75c per week), and thereafter €8 per month. Cancel anytime, limited time offer. T&Cs Apply. www.clareecho.ie.