No account yet? Register

Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on linkedin
Share on whatsapp

No account yet? Register

*Galway’s Ian Cassidy gives Clare the lead. Photograph: John Mangan

Clare have lost out in their opening outing of the Inter-League Youths Cup.

Galway 3
Clare 2
Venue: Frank Healy Park, Doora

Played in the midst of a status yellow weather warning, the strong wind made conditions difficult for both sides on Saturday afternoon at the County Grounds.

With the elements in their favour for the opening half, Clare should have been further ahead. This and their second half slump were the main reasons why victory was not to be theirs on this occasion.

Jamie Stack came close to breaking the deadlock on eight minutes but Galway netminder David Garvalik pushed his free over the crossbar. The resulting corner from Stack put Clare in front as centre half Ian Cassidy headed the ball into his own net on eight minutes.

Another Stack shot was pushed out for a corner by Garvalik later in the half with other scoring chances not capitalised on by the hosts. With thirty eight minutes on the clock, Scott Kirkland put Lee Clohessy through on goal but the Avenue Utd winger failed to take the opportunity leaving Clare just 1-0 ahead at half-time.

Galway settled into proceedings on the restart and were back on level terms on fifty eight minutes. Lewis Wevam lobbed the ball over Kyle O’Callaghan leaving Kody McCann with little to do but tap to ball into the back of the net.

It was a wake-up call for Clare who went back ahead on their next attack. Callum Hussey managed to win a corner on the right wing which was swung in by Stack, Jack Ryan got a shot in and it rebounded to Storm Devanney who headed home.

Further shots from Ryan, Hussey, Ben O’Neill and Stack followed but none really tested the Tribesmen. O’Callaghan pulled off a decent save to deny Matthew Murray but substitute Ryan Gallagher was gifted a free header from the resulting corner, he duly obliged to put Galway back on level terms with seventy four minutes played.

They took the lead for the first time two minutes later when a long range clearance bounced over Devanney and left Eoin Lyons with just O’Callaghan to beat, which he did.

More chances fell to Clare, Jack Ryan coming closest to getting an equaliser with a diving header with three minutes of normal time remaining. However their inability to gain a bigger advantage in the opening half and second half errors would prove costly as Galway recorded a 3-2 win.

It is not all doom and gloom for Ruairí Price’s side, they still have a quarter-final to look forward to, the only downside being that they will be on the road for it. Shane Cox, Matthew Murray and Lewis Wevam stood out for the winners who booked a home last eight tie.

For Clare, Jamie Stack was very impressive in the opening half with Liam Buckley, Patrick Doherty and Callum Hussey working hard for the full ninety minutes.

Galway: David Garvalik, Harry Comer, Ian Cassidy, Shane Cox, Jack Greamley; Matthew Murray, Lewis Wevam; Charlie Filipe, Kody McCann; Danny Kemp, Robert Silke.

Subs: Ryan Gallagher for Silke (62), Eoin Lyon for Kemp (69), Adam Lally for McCann (76), Aaron Neary for Filipe (81).

Clare: Kyle O’Callaghan (Shannon Town), Patrick Doherty (Sporting Ennistymon), Liam Buckley (Bridge Utd), Storm Devanney (Bridge Utd), Luke Shea (Bridge Utd); Lee Clohessy (Avenue Utd), Jamie Stack (Avenue Utd), Ben O’Neill (Shannon Town), Callum Hussey (Newmarket Celtic); Scott Kirkland (Bridge Utd), Jack Ryan (Shannon Town).

Subs: Dylan Downes (Bridge Utd) for Clohessy (71), Josh Saidi (Ennis Town) for O’Neill (81), Conor Maxwell (Bridge Utd) for Shea (81)

Referee: Pa Gleeson

Subscribe to our FREE Newsletter

* indicates required

Related News

Scroll to Top