*Violet-Anne Wynne. Photograph: John Mangan

Newly elected Clare TD, Violet-Anne Wynne (SF) has stood by her remarks supporting the release of alleged IRA bomber John Downey on bail over a month ago.

Donegal native John Downey was in December 2019 named as an “active participant” in the 1982 IRA bombings in London’s Hyde Park that killed four people and injured 31 others.

On July 20, 1982, a car bomb left in South Carriage Drive ultimately killed four soldiers as they paraded from their barracks to Buckingham Palace. Lieutenant Dennis Daly, 23, and Trooper Simon Tipper, 19, died at the scene, while Squadron Quartermaster Corporal Roy Bright, 36, and Lance Corporal Jeffrey Young, 19, died within days after the attack. Seven horses had to be put down subsequently.

Downey was originally charged in 2013 for his involvement with the incident, but the case fell apart the following year when it was revealed that the Police Service of Northern Ireland (PSNI) had issued Downey a letter in 2007 as part of the ‘On The Run Scheme’ that assured Downey he would not be prosecuted. The letter was issued in error, but the judge at the time said the case could not proceed. This prompted Sarah-Jane Young, daughter of Lance Corporal Jeffrey Young to bring civil action against the sixty seven year old.

Speaking on December 18th in London, presiding Justice Yip stated, “This was a deliberate, carefully planned attack on members of the military. I have found that the defendant was an active participant in the concerted plan to detonate the bomb, with the intent to kill or at least to cause serious harm to members of the Household Cavalry.”

Two days later, bail was granted for Downey by Mr Justice McAlinden who confirmed that a £225,000 cash surety was to be lodged before he is released. Mr Downey is to live at a Belfast property under curfew and is banned from leaving Northern Ireland. He must also surrender any passports and report regularly to police as part of the conditions.

In a tweet on December 20th, Violet-Anne Wynne posted, “John Downey out on bail, about time too. Enjoy your Christmas comrade”. Elected off the back of 8,987 first preference votes in the General Election, the Kilrush woman stood by her comments when contacted by The Clare Echo.

“John Downey has been a supporter of the peace process over many years. I welcomed the fact that he got bail after numerous attempts in December because he is 67 and in ill health. He should be at home with his family in Donegal, not facing trial for charges that he have been dealt with in the courts previously,” Wynne stated.

Related News

corofin 26-07-19 8
Lack of urgency to install EV charging points 'in climate crisis' slammed by Cllrs
Joe Melody pod ep 5 thumbnail
Business Chamber Episode 5: Joe Whelan
shannon airport solar farm darragh o'brien ray o'driscoll 1
€6.6m investment at Shannon Airport sees Ireland's first airfield solar PV farm & extension of passenger gates
clare county council budget abbey street 1-2
Who said what as Clare County Council decided to hike up commercial rates by 8%
Latest News
john o'brien marie crowe ronan murphy 1
Local history of Sixmilebridge revisited in new publication
o'callaghans mills v abbeydorney 02-11-25 darragh moroney seán boyce cotter colm cleary fionn hickey conor henry anthem 1
Munster final 'a huge game' & massive opportunity for O'Callaghans Mills
corofin 26-07-19 8
Lack of urgency to install EV charging points 'in climate crisis' slammed by Cllrs
bridge utd v grattan utd 16-11-25 filip mostowy 3
Tough ties for Bridge Utd & Newmarket Celtic in Munster Junior Cup last 16
clooney quin v whitegate camogie 13-11-21 12 emma deegan
Gallagher doesn't look back in anger following Clooney/Quin's Munster final loss
Premium
Gallagher doesn't look back in anger following Clooney/Quin's Munster final loss
Who said what as Clare County Council decided to hike up commercial rates by 8%
Health Minister says emergency department for Clare will be reviewed in 2026
'We're pinching ourselves at times wondering is this real' - Mills making the most of Munster run
Journey of Traveller children to school along Quin Rd 'an accident waiting to happen'

Subscribe for just €3 per month

If you’re here, you care about County Clare. So do we. Did you rely on us for Covid-19 updates, follow our election coverage, or visit The Clare Echo every week for breaking news and sport? The Clare Echo invests in local journalism and we want to safeguard its future in our county. By becoming a subscriber you are supporting what we do, will receive access to all our premium articles and a better experience, while helping us improve our offering to you. Subscribe to clareecho.ie and get the first six months for just €3 a month (less than 75c per week), and thereafter €8 per month. Cancel anytime, limited time offer. T&Cs Apply. www.clareecho.ie.