*Photograph: Sean Curtin / True Media

Co Clare is now fifteen days free of any new cases of COVID-19 while the Chief Medical Officer has cautioned that any non-essential travel abroad should be avoided.

For the fifteenth day in succession, Co Clare has not recorded an increase in the amount of individuals in the county to have tested positive for COVID-19. The figure has stayed stagnant at 369.

Across the country, officials within the Health Protection Surveillance Centre have confirmed the death toll in the Republic of Ireland is now at 1,730 following confirmation of three more deaths.

Two cases have been de-notified while 11 more cases have been confirmed meaning that a total of 25,414 persons have received a positive diagnosis for the virus since March.

Speaking on Friday evening, Chief Medical Officer Dr Tony Holohan admitted he was “beyond nervous” with the prospect of Irish people travelling abroad in the coming weeks. He recommended that staycations would be a safer option this summer.

“We are recommending the avoidance of all non-essential travel,” he stated. Holohan added that he was “worried by the extent” of individuals bringing the disease into Ireland in recent weeks. Professor Philip Nolan, Chair of the NPHET Irish Epidemiological Modelling Advisory Group said, “The increasing number of cases related to travel and in young adults is an emerging source of concern”. He stated that 13 cases in the past two weeks were related to the travel abroad.

Dr Holohan also expressed his concern with the lack of social distancing among younger members of the population. “The message isn’t fully getting through,” he conceded. “The data is telling us that young people are accounting for a higher percentage of the cases”. He continued, “We have good reason to believe that anecdotally many people planning to travel outside of the country are young people”.

Professor Nolan outlined that testing is being carried out at the levels required, “There are very low levels of positivity at 0.4 of an average in the last week”. He said, “We have had a significant decrease in the amount of cases confirmed per day”. Nolan flagged that the average number of people in ICU is 14, “down from 24 the previous week,” typically there is one admission per five days. “There has been no increase in the level of disease but we are seeing a continuing decrease”.

Related News

corofin 26-07-19 8
Lack of urgency to install EV charging points 'in climate crisis' slammed by Cllrs
Joe Melody pod ep 5 thumbnail
Business Chamber Episode 5: Joe Whelan
shannon airport solar farm darragh o'brien ray o'driscoll 1
€6.6m investment at Shannon Airport sees Ireland's first airfield solar PV farm & extension of passenger gates
clare county council budget abbey street 1-2
Who said what as Clare County Council decided to hike up commercial rates by 8%
Latest News
john o'brien marie crowe ronan murphy 1
Local history of Sixmilebridge revisited in new publication
o'callaghans mills v abbeydorney 02-11-25 darragh moroney seán boyce cotter colm cleary fionn hickey conor henry anthem 1
Munster final 'a huge game' & massive opportunity for O'Callaghans Mills
corofin 26-07-19 8
Lack of urgency to install EV charging points 'in climate crisis' slammed by Cllrs
bridge utd v grattan utd 16-11-25 filip mostowy 3
Tough ties for Bridge Utd & Newmarket Celtic in Munster Junior Cup last 16
clooney quin v whitegate camogie 13-11-21 12 emma deegan
Gallagher doesn't look back in anger following Clooney/Quin's Munster final loss
Premium
Gallagher doesn't look back in anger following Clooney/Quin's Munster final loss
Who said what as Clare County Council decided to hike up commercial rates by 8%
Health Minister says emergency department for Clare will be reviewed in 2026
'We're pinching ourselves at times wondering is this real' - Mills making the most of Munster run
Journey of Traveller children to school along Quin Rd 'an accident waiting to happen'

Subscribe for just €3 per month

If you’re here, you care about County Clare. So do we. Did you rely on us for Covid-19 updates, follow our election coverage, or visit The Clare Echo every week for breaking news and sport? The Clare Echo invests in local journalism and we want to safeguard its future in our county. By becoming a subscriber you are supporting what we do, will receive access to all our premium articles and a better experience, while helping us improve our offering to you. Subscribe to clareecho.ie and get the first six months for just €3 a month (less than 75c per week), and thereafter €8 per month. Cancel anytime, limited time offer. T&Cs Apply. www.clareecho.ie.