*Colm Collins. Photograph: Gerard O’Neill

As far as the Clare players and officials are concerned Sunday’s national league division 2 fixture with Fermanagh, scheduled for Cusack Park at 1pm is going ahead.

Confirmed cases of COVID-19 have led to the shut down of activities within Fermanagh GAA and officials in that county have called on the authorities at Croke Park to postpone the game. That request has been rejected and Croke Park have ruled that the fixture will go ahead and this has led to suggestions that Fermanagh may not be in a position to field a team.

“From our point of view, we must assume that the game is going ahead and we have to prepare accordingly. It’s out of our control and its between the GAA and Fermanagh. Its important that we are totally focussed”, Clare manager Colm Collins told The Clare Echo this week.

He added, “We have three very important games in a three week period. We have to be aware of the schedule and take it one game at a time and focus on each one. We cannot get side tracked”.

As revealed by The Clare Echo last week, Clare have been boosted by the news that both Gary Brennan and Jamie Malone have rejoined the panel and since then Podge Collins has returned to the squad and came off the bench in their challenge match win over Galway last week. Éire Óg’s Aaron Fitzgerald has also returned to the panel, the defender missed the beginning of the League with a knee injury.

For Sunday’s game Clare must plan without Conal Ó hÁiniféin who is out due to a recurrence of a hamstring injury which has been troubling the Ruan man for some time. Kilmurry Ibrickane’s Dermot Coughlan is ruled out and is set to miss the entirety of the 2020 inter-county championship with a knee injury.

Otherwise Collins and his backroom team have a full squad from which to select for this important fixture. A victory will strengthen the Banner side’s chances of remaining in division 2.

“Division 2 is so competitive. There is nothing between the teams and every game is vital and this is no different”, according to the team boss. and to us. Hopefully we have prepared well enough”, he concluded.

Victory on Sunday will strengthen Clare’s chances of retaining division 2 status for 2021. The Banner side are due to face current league leaders Armagh in the final game of the campaign on Saturday week, a fixture which is also scheduled for Cusack Park. A week later they will travel to Semple Stadium in Thurles to take on Tipperary in the quarter final of the Munster championship.

Related News

corofin 26-07-19 8
Lack of urgency to install EV charging points 'in climate crisis' slammed by Cllrs
Joe Melody pod ep 5 thumbnail
Business Chamber Episode 5: Joe Whelan
shannon airport solar farm darragh o'brien ray o'driscoll 1
€6.6m investment at Shannon Airport sees Ireland's first airfield solar PV farm & extension of passenger gates
clare county council budget abbey street 1-2
Who said what as Clare County Council decided to hike up commercial rates by 8%
Latest News
john o'brien marie crowe ronan murphy 1
Local history of Sixmilebridge revisited in new publication
o'callaghans mills v abbeydorney 02-11-25 darragh moroney seán boyce cotter colm cleary fionn hickey conor henry anthem 1
Munster final 'a huge game' & massive opportunity for O'Callaghans Mills
corofin 26-07-19 8
Lack of urgency to install EV charging points 'in climate crisis' slammed by Cllrs
bridge utd v grattan utd 16-11-25 filip mostowy 3
Tough ties for Bridge Utd & Newmarket Celtic in Munster Junior Cup last 16
clooney quin v whitegate camogie 13-11-21 12 emma deegan
Gallagher doesn't look back in anger following Clooney/Quin's Munster final loss
Premium
Gallagher doesn't look back in anger following Clooney/Quin's Munster final loss
Who said what as Clare County Council decided to hike up commercial rates by 8%
Health Minister says emergency department for Clare will be reviewed in 2026
'We're pinching ourselves at times wondering is this real' - Mills making the most of Munster run
Journey of Traveller children to school along Quin Rd 'an accident waiting to happen'

Subscribe for just €3 per month

If you’re here, you care about County Clare. So do we. Did you rely on us for Covid-19 updates, follow our election coverage, or visit The Clare Echo every week for breaking news and sport? The Clare Echo invests in local journalism and we want to safeguard its future in our county. By becoming a subscriber you are supporting what we do, will receive access to all our premium articles and a better experience, while helping us improve our offering to you. Subscribe to clareecho.ie and get the first six months for just €3 a month (less than 75c per week), and thereafter €8 per month. Cancel anytime, limited time offer. T&Cs Apply. www.clareecho.ie.