PICTURED: Pat Keogh. Photo by Burren Eye Photography

GAA, camogie and ladies football clubs in Clare will receive โ‚ฌ9,803.92 each from the โ‚ฌ1m donated to Clare GAA by J. P. McManus.

Details of the pay out to the 102 clubs were given at the January meeting of Clare GAA on Tuesday night at Hotel Woodstock.

Clare handball chairman Tommy Hegarty expressed disappointment on behalf of the eight handball clubs in the county that the breakdown did not include a sum for the handball clubs.

Based on the correspondence Clare GAA had received when news of the donation was revealed, there is no leeway to include handball, Clare’s head of operations Deirdre Murphy told the meeting before adding โ€œthere is no room for error in thisโ€

She pointed out that Clare GAA had corresponded with many other counties and all had the same understanding.

Responding to Hegartyโ€™s statement that handball is part of the GAA, board chairman Kieran Keating said โ€œit is not affiliated to Clare GAAโ€.

โ€œThe handball clubs are not happy and I want to bring back some answers to themโ€, Hegarty told the meeting.

โ€œThe handball people have a valid claim and I wouldnโ€™t have an issue with proposing to our club executive that they make a contribution to handball,โ€, Cooraclareโ€™s PJ McGuane told the meeting.

Supporting that view Clare GAAโ€™s central council delegate, Robert Frost from Oโ€™Callaghans Mills said โ€œwe have two handball clubs in our parish and they have a lot of work done”.

Newmarketโ€™s Pat Keogh who also pointed out that they have a handball club in their parish said he will be proposing at their next executive meeting that a contribution be made to handball, โ€œThatโ€™s the only way it can be doneโ€, he said,

Ruanโ€™s Michael Oโ€™Regan was of a similar view saying it’s up to the clubs how to administer this windfall.

Thanking the clubs for their comments, Tommy Hegarty went on to reflect on Clareโ€™s hosting of the recent national championships. Pointing out that Clare had three winners and nine runners up he highlighted โ€œDiarmuid Nashโ€™s victory in the senior open final on his home court in Tuamgraneyโ€. He went on to thank the clubs, the volunteers, the referees and all who helped make the event the success it was and he pointed out that โ€œClare had been commended by Ard Comhairle for their hosting of the eventโ€.

 

Win a house in Ennis

A total of 9,900 tickets have been sold to date in the Win a house in Ennis fundraiser, delegates to this weekโ€™s board meeting were told by board chairman Kieran Keating who went on to express the view that there is still time to reach their target of 15,000 before the draw takes place on January 29.

Treasurer Brian Fitzpatrick said โ€œwe need to upgrade the different facilities and we need a big outcome to this.

He went on to tell the meeting that โ€œwe are up to one third of our target in the Dalcassian Patrons programme. โ€œWe need to push the bar up on the income sideโ€, he said

The recently appointed facilities manager, David Hoey has, according to Head of operations Deirdre Murphy โ€œreally hit the ground running. All fields have been sandedโ€.

She went on to day that up coming work at Caherlohan will include the provision of paths, dugouts and a well while they are at tender process in relation to work at Clareabbey which will include improving the dressing rooms and providing more office space which will lead to being able to hold board meetings at the venue while work on the upgrading of dressing rooms at Ballylne will commence shortly.

Demographic committee

Clare GAA will shortly be appointing a new demographic committee and with this in mind Cooraclare delegate P.J. McGuane said he expected to โ€œsee more people from west of Ennis on the committeeโ€. He offered himself and David Oโ€™Shea from Kilrush as candidates for this committee.

Scoreboard grants

Clare GAA will again offer grants to clubs planning on installing scoreboards, chairman Kieran Keating told this weekโ€™s board meeting. โ€œWe provided six grants last year and hope to do the same this yearโ€, the chairman said when asking clubs to inform the board if they plan to erect scoreboards this year.

Underage fixtures

Congratulating the underage boards on the production of their masters fixture schedule for 2024, St. Josephs delegate Anthony Oโ€™Halloran asked that they take a look at the dates for the under 13 football and under 14 hurling. The timing of these will create a lot of problems for dual clubs and we are looking at having two teams at these grades.

Eire Ogโ€™s Rory Hickey supported Oโ€™Halloran saying his club would be in a similar position.

Coiste na nOg football secretary Anne Hayes said โ€œthe alternative to what is proposed is to put the under 14 and under 16 back to the end of the year.

 

 

 

 

 

ย 

 

Related News

corofin 26-07-19 8
Lack of urgency to install EV charging points 'in climate crisis' slammed by Cllrs
Joe Melody pod ep 5 thumbnail
Business Chamber Episode 5: Joe Whelan
shannon airport solar farm darragh o'brien ray o'driscoll 1
โ‚ฌ6.6m investment at Shannon Airport sees Ireland's first airfield solar PV farm & extension of passenger gates
clare county council budget abbey street 1-2
Who said what as Clare County Council decided to hike up commercial rates by 8%
Latest News
john o'brien marie crowe ronan murphy 1
Local history of Sixmilebridge revisited in new publication
o'callaghans mills v abbeydorney 02-11-25 darragh moroney seรกn boyce cotter colm cleary fionn hickey conor henry anthem 1
Munster final 'a huge game' & massive opportunity for O'Callaghans Mills
corofin 26-07-19 8
Lack of urgency to install EV charging points 'in climate crisis' slammed by Cllrs
bridge utd v grattan utd 16-11-25 filip mostowy 3
Tough ties for Bridge Utd & Newmarket Celtic in Munster Junior Cup last 16
clooney quin v whitegate camogie 13-11-21 12 emma deegan
Gallagher doesn't look back in anger following Clooney/Quin's Munster final loss
Premium
Gallagher doesn't look back in anger following Clooney/Quin's Munster final loss
Who said what as Clare County Council decided to hike up commercial rates by 8%
Health Minister says emergency department for Clare will be reviewed in 2026
'We're pinching ourselves at times wondering is this real' - Mills making the most of Munster run
Journey of Traveller children to school along Quin Rd 'an accident waiting to happen'

Subscribe for just โ‚ฌ3 per month

If youโ€™re here, you care about County Clare. So do we. Did you rely on us for Covid-19 updates, follow our election coverage, or visit The Clare Echo every week for breaking news and sport? The Clare Echo invests in local journalism and we want to safeguard its future in our county. By becoming a subscriber you are supporting what we do, will receive access to all our premium articles and a better experience, while helping us improve our offering to you. Subscribe to clareecho.ie and get the first six months for just โ‚ฌ3 a month (less than 75c per week), and thereafter โ‚ฌ8 per month. Cancel anytime, limited time offer. T&Cs Apply. www.clareecho.ie.