Latest News County Clare

Clare accounts for 1.1% of Ireland’s COVID-19 cases as total hits 240

in Covid-19/Home/News by

Ireland has recorded 19 more deaths and 330 extra COVID-19 cases with Clare figures

A total of 1,303 deaths have occurred in the Republic of Ireland since the outbreak of COVID-19. On Sunday, the Health Protection Surveillance Centre (HPSC) confirmed there were 19 more individuals to die. Two deaths have been de-notified.

As of 11am on Sunday, an additional 330 cases are known. It brings to 21,506 the amount of individuals that have received a positive diagnosis. At present, Ireland has the 23rd highest amount of COVID-19 detections in the world.

In Clare, latest figures which are from Friday (May 1st) confirm there have been 240 cases in the county. It is an increase of three from the previous 24 hours. The county accounts for 1.1% of Ireland’s total cases.

Data compiled from the HPSC from Friday’s 21,064 cases confirmed the breakdown between genders remains at 58% (female) and 42% (male) with 49 years old the median age.

Healthcare workers are associated with 6,068 cases. 2,825 individuals have been hospitalised with 363 of these admitted to ICU.

Speaking on Sunday morning, HSE Chief Executive, Paul Reid confirmed they are preparing a plan on how private hospitals can be used to carry out urgent non COVID-19 related procedures. 241 private hospital consultants have signed the new contract to work in the public system, he said.

Chief Operations Officer with the HSE, Anne O’Connor stated that 950 patients were currently in Irish hospitals with confirmed or suspected cases of the virus. She added that the health service had not seen the kind of numbers being hospitalised that it had originally feared.

Complete testing has been conducted for staff and residents in 84% of nursing homes where there has been a virus, HSE officials confirmed. The remaining 16% are to be carried out in the coming week. 90 nursing homes remain of particular concern.

Páraic McMahon is Head of News & Sport with The Clare Echo. The Newmarket-on-Fergus native also writes for national papers including The Irish Examiner, The Irish Independent and The Irish Times along with doing work for RTÉ, Today FM, TheJournal.ie and The42.ie. A graduate of Mary Immaculate College, Páraic was previously employed by The Clare Herald and Clare FM. If you have a story, tip or some feedback for him then send an email to - paraic@clareecho.ie

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

*

Latest from Covid-19

0 £0.00
Go to Top