*Photograph: John Mangan

A FAMILY moved a second caravan onto a green area in Ennis after Storm Éowyn damage and the presence of a rat had made their existing caravan uninhabitable, a court has heard.

At Ennis District Court, Judge Alec Gabbett has remanded father of five, Martin Mongans (29) in custody for breaching his bail conditions in connection with the caravan being moved onto a public green amenity area at Clancy Park, Ennis earlier this month.

Mr Mongans is already being prosecuted for placing a caravan onto the lands at Clancy Park, Ennis between July 27th and October 17th last.

One of the bail conditions in connection with that case was Mr Mongans would not place any further caravans on the green area.

However, Gardaí have now applied for Mr Mongans’ bail to be revoked following a second Mongans caravan being placed on the green area in breach of his bail conditions.

Mr Mongans told the court, “I am being pushed aside like a black person, I am being pushed aside like a nobody”.

He said, “I don’t want a big fancy gold house. I just want something for my kids to sleep inside”.

One of the Mongans children is only six weeks old and solicitor for Mr Mongans, Tara Godfrey told the court that Mr Mongans’ wife, Bernadette acted along with other members of her own family to bring the second caravan onto the land earlier this month.

Ms Godfrey said that Bernadette was “at the end of her tether” and busy trying to protect her five children after Storm Éowyn made their caravan uninhabitable when a tree fell on it causing damage and where there was a rat in it. Ms Godfrey showed a photo of the rat on a mobile phone to Judge Gabbett.

Sgt Dominic Regan said that with the presence of three caravans on the green area “it has completely destroyed the area”.

A third caravan is owned by family relations of the Mongans and Sgt Regan said, “The presence of rodents in the area is directly due to the rubbish being left as a result of this caravan”.

He said that the public amenity “is completely destroyed”.

Asked what bail conditions could satisfy the Gardaí, Sgt Regan said, “I don’t know what conditions can be imposed to prevent the further destruction of Clancy Park. I was hoping that the caravans would be removed”.

Ms Godfrey said that the Mongans family ended up on the green area after their home at Knockanean, Ennis was destroyed by fire “in dangerous circumtances”.

A senior Council Housing official and Homeless Co-ordinator  said that Mr Mongans has been suspended from the Council housing list until April 24th due to his behaviour towards Council staff.

She said that “any time Mr Mongans has come to our office he has threatened and he is abusive”.

She said that a vacant home was offered to the Mongans family last year but was refused.

Ms Godfrey said that the family refused the offer as the Mr Mongans was “burnt out and Mr Mongans’s brother’s jaw was broken and that is why he wouldn’t take the accommodation”.

Ms Godfrey said that her client had nothing to do with the removal of the concrete bollards to move the new caravan onto the site at Clancy Park.

Sgt Regan said that they arrested Mr Mongans in the new caravan where he was found asleep – the court was told that Bernadette Mongans and the couple’s five children have gone to Co Kerry.

Judge Gabbett said that he had great sympathy for the Mongans on their housing plight but he also had to consider local residents living close to the amenity area in Clancy Park.

Judge Gabbett remanded Mr Mongans in custody to Limerick prison to re-appear before Ennis District Court on Friday March 14th.

Advertisement

Related News

Shannon, Ireland, June
Shannon will not receive 15 extra Gardaí despite claims of Govt TDs
Springfield3
€5.2m Springfield flood relief scheme 'makes fear & devastation of flooding a thing of the past' in Clonlara
ballymacaula 1
Plans for Ennis' largest housing scheme meet stumbling block
doolin coast guard
Coast Guard say they have no concerns over atmosphere in Doolin unit
Latest News
Springfield3
€5.2m Springfield flood relief scheme 'makes fear & devastation of flooding a thing of the past' in Clonlara
st josephs miltown v doonbeg 16-08-24 sean neylon eoghan killeen 1
Doonbeg & Miltown to battle it out for last remaining quarter-final spot
8ADEA71C-AA8E-43C5-AAB6-684A5D8EF880
'Battle of the Bands' returns to Lucas' Bar
ballymacaula 1
Plans for Ennis' largest housing scheme meet stumbling block
doolin coast guard
Coast Guard say they have no concerns over atmosphere in Doolin unit
Premium
doolin coast guard
Coast Guard say they have no concerns over atmosphere in Doolin unit
Shannon Airport (2)
Rail link for Shannon Airport 'can be done & it's a matter of getting it done' says Junior Minister
clare v cork 20-04-25 eibhear quilligan 1
Clare keeper Quilligan to undergo surgery on injured knee this week
mercedes optimum autos 1
Three of the six stolen vehicles from Optimum Autos recovered
clonlara v crusheen 23-08-25 diarmuid mullins colm galvin 1
The Water Break: Eruptions of excitement already with Clare SHC quarter-final pairings

Advertisement

Subscribe for just €3 per month

If you’re here, you care about County Clare. So do we. Did you rely on us for Covid-19 updates, follow our election coverage, or visit The Clare Echo every week for breaking news and sport? The Clare Echo invests in local journalism and we want to safeguard its future in our county. By becoming a subscriber you are supporting what we do, will receive access to all our premium articles and a better experience, while helping us improve our offering to you. Subscribe to clareecho.ie and get the first six months for just €3 a month (less than 75c per week), and thereafter €8 per month. Cancel anytime, limited time offer. T&Cs Apply. www.clareecho.ie.