A review of operations at Kilkee Pier is to be carried out following claims that “carnage” occurred on the slipway over the summer months.

Senior executive engineer with the West Clare Municipal District, Alan Kennelly confirmed that a review of operations would be completed by the MD regarding the slip and pier and referenced issues highlighted earlier this year.

Appointing a temporary harbour master was the request lodged by Cllr Cillian Murphy (FF) at a recent MD meeting. He felt putting an individual in the position was necessary to manage the pier and slipway during the summer season including all financial, legal and practical considerations. His motion was seconded by Cllr Ian Lynch (IND).

Noting that Kilkee was not a commercial pier, Kennelly admitted it was unlikely a harbour master would be appointed. He said the local authority was aware of interaction between individuals “using the slip to launch pleasure craft and those who use the slip and its environs because it allows safe and manageable access to the sea”.

“There was carnage at the slipway in Kilkee this summer, how someone hasn’t been injured or hurt with the amount of car traffic, pedestrian traffic, boat launches and people trying to swim, I don’t know,” Cllr Murphy remarked. He stated that an increase was noticeable in the amount of people “not familiar with the area or the slipway”. Murphy added, “We need to have somebody there managing the space. We could be generating a lot more income out of that car park”.

Further information on a review of slipways prompted by tragedy in Donegal was sought by Cllr Lynch. Acting senior executive officer, John O’Malley outlined that signs surrounding access were purchased, “it is just a matter of putting them up”.

Related News

cathal crowe jim o'callaghan joe cooney 1
Clare will get more Gardaí & Justice Minister open to reviewing merged policing model with Tipperary
shannon airport asu may 26-2
Eight recruits appointed to Shannon Airport's search unit
joe cooney jennifer carroll macneill 1
Chances of new acute hospital in Clare are very slim
ennis courthouse tent 24-02-21 4
Man accused of €2m drug bust in Kilmihil tells court he was told consignment was 'car parts'
Latest News
clare vs tipperary 16-05-26 ian galvin 2
Clare topple Tipp to get championship campaign back on track
noel jordan 1
Lisdoonvarna retailer jailed for two years & seven months for sexual assault of schoolboy in 1980s
golf ball rain
Winning Pierce Purcell starts for Kilrush, Dromoland & Spanish Point
cathal crowe jim o'callaghan joe cooney 1
Clare will get more Gardaí & Justice Minister open to reviewing merged policing model with Tipperary
newmarket celtic vs bridge utd 15-05-26 jack kelly conor mcdaid david mccarthy 1
Newmarket Celtic recapture crown as Premier Division champions
Premium
Newmarket Celtic recapture crown as Premier Division champions
Tony Griffin goes 'full circle' with return to Clare hurling fold
Changes expected to Clare team for Tipp tie
Man accused of €2m drug bust in Kilmihil tells court he was told consignment was 'car parts'
Clare businessman applies to demolish €1m Lahinch home and build one double in size

Annual Subscription!

The Clare Echo annual subscription for just €69.99 a year. 

Prefer to pay monthly? Click the monthly option and get the first six months for just €3 a month (less than 75c per week), and thereafter €8 per month. 

Cancel anytime, limited time offer. T&Cs Apply. www.clareecho.ie.