Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on linkedin
Share on whatsapp

No account yet? Register

*Jack Sheedy of St Breckans. Photograph: Burren Eye Photography

With just one round of games remaining in the Cusack Cup and Garry Cup, a clearer picture is emerging as to who will be in the play offs and who will be battling to avoid relegation.

St. Breckans are through to the Cusack Cup final with a round to spare. They remain unbeaten this year following a draw with Doonbeg on Saturday evening They have a three point lead at the top of the table. Currently Doonbeg are in second place with eight points, the same tally as Ennistymon but the West Clare side won when the sides met.

Kildysart are also in the hunt for a semi-final spot, just a point adrift of Doonbeg and Ennistymon.

At the other end of the table, St Joseph’s Miltown are in bottom position and will be playing in the Garry Cup next season.

Éire Óg and Clondegad are also in the relegation zone and they meet in the final round at the Ennis club’s venue with the losers of that one likely to drop down.

In the final round on June 12, Kildysart will entertain Kilmurry Ibrickane, St Joseph’s Miltown will have Doonbeg as visitors to Hennessy Park and the Magpies will seal a semi-final spot if they win this one, Ennistymon will host their North Clare neighbours St. Breckans while Éire Óg entertain Clondegad.

Corofin are through to the final of the Garry Cup (division 2), their latest league points having come about courtesy of a walkover from O’Currys. The Doonaha based side, unbeaten to this point this season, were unable to field a team for Saturday’s fixture.

Operating from a panel of nineteen, a number of injuries picked up in recent weeks meant that they had to concede Saturday’s game. Despite that, they remain in second place on the league table, behind leaders Corofin.
At the bottom end of the table, Shannon Gaels have been relegated leaving Kilrush, Kilmihil and Cooraclare battling it out to avoid joining them.

In the final roound of games on June 12, Shannon Gaels will host Cooraclare, Kilmihil will entertain Kilrush, St. Josephs Doora/Barefield will have home advantage against table toppers Corofin while O’Currys will have home advantage against Lissycasey.

Kildysart strike late to keep semi-final hopes alive

Kildysart 3-10
Clondegad 2-11
Venue: Michéal Ó Hehir Park, Ballynacally

Ahead by nine points five minutes into the second half in this Cusack Cup on Saturday evening, Clondegad looked to be on their way to a comfortable win over their neighbours Kildysart.

However from here to the finish they only managed to add one point to their tally but they still looked set for victory when they held a two point lead as the game entered the final minute of normal time.

Kildysart’s confidence had clearly grown as the game progressed and they were very much in the ascendancy in the closing period.

Four minutes into the added time they struck a decisive blow and wing back Rory McMahon emerged as the hero and he fired low into the corner of the Clondegad net to give his side victory and keep their hopes of a place in the semi-final of the competition alive.

For Clondegad it is now a battle to avoid relegation when they face Éire Óg who are also battling to hold on to their Division 1 status.

The home outfit wasn’t helped by the fact that they played ten of the closing twelve minutes with fourteen players after defender Niall Lynch was shown a black card.

They were forced into a late change when goalkeeper Darren Cleary was injured and this resulted in Daniel Kelly switching from attack to goalkeeping duties.

Kildysart started well and Diarmuid O’Donnell pointed twice in as many minutes before Daniel Kelly opened the home side’s account. They were 0-3 to 0-2 in front when Morgan Garry struck for the game’s opening goal.

When Podge McMahon fired home Clondegad’s second goal four minutes before the half time whistle they were 2-5 to 0-3 ahead. Just before the half time whistle Keith Murphy found the net for Kildysart and this made the half time score 2-6 to 1-4 in Clondegad’s favour.

Four unanswered points in as many minutes ad the start of the second half pushed Clondegad’s lead out to nine points but Kildysart refused to throw in the towel.

A second Keith Murphy goal after good work by Diarmuid O’Donnell gave the visitors renewed hope and they continued to eat into the Clondegad lead with points from O’Donnell, Conor Hassett and half time substitute Ian Flanagan before McMahon struck for the decisive goal.

Kildysart; Conor Cusack; Conor Donnellan, Brian Eyers, Stephen Sheehan; Oisin Coyle, Kieran Leahy, Rory McMahon; Keith O’Connor, Conor Moloney; Jamie Evans, Seamus Casey, Michael Eustace; Keith Murphy, Diarmuid O’Donnell, Conor Hassett;

Sub: Ian Flanagan for Eustace

Clondegad; Darren Cleary; Niall Lynch, Brian Murphy, Brian Casey; Conor Gavin, Peter Casey, Gearoid O’Connell; BrandonO’Connell, Gary Brennan; Diarmuid O’Neill, Shane Brennan, Morgan Garry; Stephen Casey, Daniel Kelly, Paudge McMahon;

Subs: James Murphy for O’Neill; Cormac Reidy for B. Casey; Cillian Gavin for McMahon; Eoin Gavin for Cleary (inj)

Referee: Niall Quinn (St Joseph’s Miltown)

Kilmurry Ibrickane continue move up the league table

Kilmurry Ibrickane 2-11
Éire Óg 0-8
Venue: Páirc Naomh Mhúire, Quilty

Kilmurry Ibrickane moved clear of the relegation zone when they proved too strong for Éire Óg on Saturday afternoon.

They laid the foundations for the win in the opening half at the end of which they were 2-5 to 0-4 ahead, the goals coming from Joe Campbell and a Daryn Callinan penalty.

Éire Óg scored a couple of early second half points but the home side quickly regained control and with their defence on top they went on to record a comfortable win.

Kilmurry Ibrickane: David Sexton; Colin Brigdale, Darren Hickey, Kieran Killeen; Josh Moloney, Andrew Shannon, Martin McMahon; Mark Killeen, Caoilfhionn O’Dea; Joe Campbell, Dermot Coughlan, Oisin Sexton; Stephen Moloney, Jason Cussen, Daryn Callinan

Subs: Colin Considine for Cussen; Shea Gleeson for Shannon; Niall McGannon for Moloney

Éire Óg; Nathan Murray; Hugh Connolly, Niall McMahon, Dean D’Auria; Eoin Guilfoyle, Aidan McGrath, Einne O’Connor; David McNamara, Ronan Lanigan; Cathal Lynch, Philip Talty, Sean Perrill; Niall O’Donoghue, Alan O’Neill, Andrew McElwee;

Subs; Conor O’Halloran for O’Neill; Jack Lynch for McNamara; Peadar O’Keeffe for McElwee; Luke Moore for O’Donoghue.

Referee: John O’Connell (Cooraclare)

St. Breckans seal Cusack Cup final date

Doonbeg 0-9
St. Breckans 0-9
Venue: Shanahan McNamara park, Doonbeg

The meeting of Doonbeg and St. Breckans proved to be a close encounter with the sides level on a number of occasions.

At the mid way point the home side led by two, 0-6 to 0-4 with four of their s cores coming from Paul Dillon who top scored with 0-7 of their total.

Padraig Kelly kicked three first half points for the visitors and he finished with a total of five on the day.

St. Breckans struck for the first two points of the second half to level the tie. They were level three more times with the home side landing the final score of the tie for a deserved share of the spoils.

Doonbeg: Eamonn Tubridy; Cillian Blake, Tadhg Lillis, Jason Linnane; Padraic Aherne, Cian O’Mahoney, Sean Conway; Eoin Conway, Kevin McInerney; Michael Tubridy, Kevin Pender, Cathal Killeen; Brian Egan, Paul Dillon, Darragh Burns;

Subs: Eoin Killeen for B. Egan; Cian Clancy for K. McInerney; Brian Behan for S. Conway; Shane Ryan for M. Tubridy;

St. Breckans: Oisin O’Loughlin; Paddy O’Doherty, Raphael Considine, Cian Burke; Conor Burke, Maccon Byrne, Jack Sheedy; Padraig Kelly, Dale Masterson; Eoin Guerin, Colm O’Brien, Ryan Burke; Jamie Stack, Cathal Guerin, Cian Jimmy Burke;

Subs; Denis O’Callaghan for C. O’Brien (inj) eoin Fitzpatrick for Ryan Burke;

Referee; Barry Kelly (St Josephs Miltown)

Missed chances lead to Miltown’s relegation

Ennistymon 0-9
St Joseph’s Miltown 2-2
Venue: Ennistymon

Missed chances including failing to convert a penalty proved costly for Miltown in this clash with tEnnistymon on Saturday evening.

In addition the visitors played most of the second half with fourteen players after Cormac Murray picked up a second yellow shortly after the break

In a low scoring tie, Miltown led at the break on a score of 1-2 to 0-2, the goal coming from Murray. The visitors had the assistance of the wind in that opening period.

Ennistymon kicked some good points early in the second half but an Oisin Looney goal kept Miltown hopes of victory high.

Ultimately, the loss of Murray and the failure of Cian Mahoney to convert from the penalty spot cost the visitors on a day when Darren McNamara kicked the winning point for the home side.

Ennistymon: Noel Sexton; John Murphy, Adam Ralph, Dara conneely; Tiernan Hogan, Cathal Reilly, Liam Cotter; Eoin Rouine, David McNamara; Joe Dowling, Sean Rouine, Niall Canavan; Ryan Barry, Sean Rynne, Cathal McConigley.

Subs: Josh Guyler for Dowling; Darren McNamara for Murphy; Lawrence Healy for Canavan;

St. Josephs Miltown: Sean O’Brien; Aidan McGuane, Eoin O’Brien, Martin Rynne; Jamesie O’Connor, Gearoid Curtin, Sean Neylon; Micheal Murray, Paul Frawley; Euan Lineen, Oisin Looney, Cian McMahon; Brian Curtin, Liam Hehir, Cormac Murray.

Sub: Sean McMahon for Lineen;

Referee: Chris Maguire (Wolfe Tones)

Kilrush ease relegation worries

Kilrush Shamrocks 1-13
Shannon Gaels 1-8;
Venue: Captain Michael Tubridy Park, Kilrush

Klrush eased their relegation worries with this five point victory over Shannon Gaels in round six of the Garry Cup on Friday evening.

Shannon Gaels, however will play in division 3 next season as they have been relegated ahead of their final game in the group in which they will entertain Cooraclare who are hovering close to the relegation zone.

Kilrush laid the foundation for this win in the opening half at the end of which they led 1-9 to 0-4. Gearoid O’Brien was in sparkling form contributing 1-4, the goal from a penalty, in that opening period.

Thomas Kelly, was the goalscorer for the Gaels

Kilrush Shamrocks: Thomas Moloney; Niall Brennan, Evan Power, Cathal McMahon; Kieran Bermingham, Sean Purtill, Damian Carey; Euan Kelly, Sean Madigan; Dylan O’Brien, Gearoid O’Brien, Ross Phelan; Cathal Carigg, Keith Crowley, Jamie Griffin;

Subs: Conor Roche for Madigan; Filip Ryzmek for G. O’Brien

Shannon Gaels; David Foley; Michael McMahon, Tadhg Kelly, Aaron Malone- Smyth; Eoin Keane, Fergal Kenny, Tomas Cleary; Michael O’Malley, Darren Crehan; Gearoid Kenny, Thomas Kelly, Dylan Kenny; Ronan Davis, Barry Crehan, Tom O’Gorman

Subs: Matthew Reidy for O’Gorman; Thomas Kenny for Davis

Referee: Brian Shanahan (Doonbeg)

Crowley’s goals help Kilmihil to victory

Kilmihil 2-10
Coorclare 1-12
Venue: Cooraclare

Two goals from Sean Crowley helped Kilmihil to a one point win over Cooraclare in this well contested tie between the neighbouring clubs at Cooraclare on Friday evening.

With both in the bottom half of the table, victory was important in the race to get away from the relegation zone.

An early goal from Jack Morrissey helped the home side into a four point lead inside the opening five minutes.

Gradually the visitors fought their way back with the help of some good points from Martin O’Leary and having levelled the tie at 1-4 to 0-7, they hit the front when Crowley struck for his first goal at the start of the second half.

Points were exchanged on a number of occasions but Cooraclare with the help of two points from Sean Browne levelled at 1-9 each.

A John Lillis free saw them take the led but O’Leary replied to level the game again.

With the full time whistle approaching Crowley goaled from the penalty spot after Martin O’Leary had been fouled and while Cooraclare battled to the end, the visitors held on for victory by the minimum margin.

Kilmihil: Sean Cafferkey; Michael Keating, John Finnucane, Gary McMahon; David Coughlan, Stan Lineen, Gavin Downes; Conor Finnucane, Jack Keating; Alan Normoyle, Sean Crowley, Niall Reidy; Mark Normoyle, Martin O’Leary, Jack Donovan

Subs: Shane Downes for McMahon; Jack King for A.Normoyle; Eoin Callinan for Donovan;

Cooraclare: Mark Lillis; Robert Ryan, Gearoid Looney, Thomas Downes; Fergal Donnellan, Niall Kelly, Gary Donnellan; James Chambers, Padraic O’Donoghue; Kevin O’Gorman, John Lillis, Colin McNamara; Eoin O’Driscoll, Jack Morrissey, Ciaran O’Donoghue;

Subs: Sean Browne for O’Gorman; Mark Tubridy for Morrissey (inj); Finn O’Driscoll for

Referee: Barry Kelly (St Joseph’s Miltown)

Title holders still in the race

Lissycasey 1-13
St Josephs Doora/Barefield 0-10
Venue: Lissycasey

Garry Cup holders Lissycasey kept their chances of retaining the title alive with this victory over St. Josephs, Doora-Barefield.

The home side had a five point advantage at half time when the score was 0-9 to 0-4 and they continued to hold the edge in the second half when Conor Meaney scored the game’s only goal after good play by Conor Finnucane.

St. Josephs who were missing a number of first team players will be disappointed with the result as this was their second successive loss in the competition.

Lissycasey: Thomas Collins; Ian Griffin, Ryan Griffin, Tom Collins; Oisin Hanrahan, Seamus Collins, Niall Kelly; Matt O’Shea, Niall McCarthy; Luke Griffin, Michael Madigan, Enda Finnucane; Shane Griffin, Conor Finnucane, Conor Meaney

Subs: Francis Hayes for Madigan; Roy Griffin for L. Griffin; Kevin Shivers for S. Collins; Niall Meere for Meaney; Jack Cahill for S. Griffin

St. Josephs Doora/Barefield: Tom O’Brien; Sean Costelloe, Peter Collins, Cathal O’Brien; James Curran, Jack Hannan, Cian McDonagh; Eoin Hanrahan, Tom Hannan; Darragh Whelan, Tom McDonald, Conal Kelleher; Eoghan Thynne, Joe Raftery, Nicky Hardiman

Subs: Kieran Thynne for Whelan; Conal Dorgan for E, Thynne

Referee: Joe Kelly (Cooraclare)

Related News

Scroll to Top
Enable Notifications for the latest news and updates    OK No thanks