*Brian O’Connell. Photograph: Gerard O’Neill

Clare’s minor hurling boss is hopeful the Banner support will be out in force as they stand sixty minutes away from appearing in an All-Ireland decider.

As the final touches are being put to Clare’s preparations for Friday evening’s All-Ireland minor hurling semi-final meeting with Offaly at Semple Stadium in Thurles, Clare manager Brian O’Connell is happy that all players are fit and well. “Thankfully we have a clean bill of health and ready for the game”, the Wolfe Tones man confirmed earlier this week.

“They are a good team and we will have our hands full. Any team that wins the Leinster title and beat the teams they beat along the way will be handy”, he added.

When teams at this age group begin their preparations, it is normal to arrange a series of challenge games and while both counties did play a lot of friendly games in the lead up to their respective championship campaigns, they did not play each other. “We haven’t met this year. We had a game arranged but it was cancelled earlier in the season due to a clash with other fixtures”, Clare manager O’Connell said.

The former Clare senior captain is hoping that Clare’s poor form against Galway “was our only hiccup. We have freshened things up since then. We identified straight away that lads were physically and mentally tired but things have freshened up a lot since then”.

He admitted that he is concerned that there might not be a big Clare following at the game. “It is difficult for Clare followers with this game late on Friday evening and having to travel again early on Saturday. If people are picking and choosing they may opt to attend a senior double header. I hope that our clubs and the underage development squads will make an effort to get to Thurles for Friday evening.

“There was a great attendance in Limerick for the Munster final and the lads fed off that. It does make a difference. I am conscious of the difficulties facing the supporters but, hopefully, many will get to Thurles on Friday evening”.

The Clare boss readily agrees that “it would be fantastic to win and get to the All-Ireland final. There is a buzz in all aspects of Clare GAA at the moment, after the footballers’ win last week. It would be great to keep that rolling on with another win”, he concluded.

Related News

cathal crowe jim o'callaghan joe cooney 1
Clare will get more Gardaí & Justice Minister open to reviewing merged policing model with Tipperary
shannon airport asu may 26-2
Eight recruits appointed to Shannon Airport's search unit
joe cooney jennifer carroll macneill 1
Chances of new acute hospital in Clare are very slim
ennis courthouse tent 24-02-21 4
Man accused of €2m drug bust in Kilmihil tells court he was told consignment was 'car parts'
Latest News
coachford vs avenue 10-05-26 mark murphy ronan kerin 1
Tulla last Clare team standing in FAI as Avenue & Newmarket crash out
clare vs tipperary 16-05-26 ian galvin 2
Clare topple Tipp to get championship campaign back on track
noel jordan 1
Lisdoonvarna retailer jailed for two years & seven months for sexual assault of schoolboy in 1980s
golf ball rain
Winning Pierce Purcell starts for Kilrush, Dromoland & Spanish Point
cathal crowe jim o'callaghan joe cooney 1
Clare will get more Gardaí & Justice Minister open to reviewing merged policing model with Tipperary
Premium
Newmarket Celtic recapture crown as Premier Division champions
Tony Griffin goes 'full circle' with return to Clare hurling fold
Changes expected to Clare team for Tipp tie
Man accused of €2m drug bust in Kilmihil tells court he was told consignment was 'car parts'
Clare businessman applies to demolish €1m Lahinch home and build one double in size

Annual Subscription!

The Clare Echo annual subscription for just €69.99 a year. 

Prefer to pay monthly? Click the monthly option and get the first six months for just €3 a month (less than 75c per week), and thereafter €8 per month. 

Cancel anytime, limited time offer. T&Cs Apply. www.clareecho.ie.