Clare’s senior hurlers have been dealt a major setback with defender Patrick O’Connor sustaining what is believed to be a serious knee injury.

O’Connor picked up the injury during a challenge game with Limerick at LIT Gaelic Grounds on Friday night. Both sides fielded experimental line-ups, The Clare Echo understands with Limerick emerging victorious.

Scans to determine the extent of the injury have yet to be completed but it is feared that the damage could be season-ending. Sources close to the Clare hurling camp fear that it is a cruciate ligament injury.

This would represent a mammoth blow to the Banner defence, many supporters had been expecting the 2013 All-Ireland winning-back to line out in the full-back line in the Munster championship against Waterford.

It would also pose a severe loss for Tubber who are hoping to bounce back from their Clare IHC final disappointment last season.

The Tubber defender had yet to feature for Brian Lohan’s side in their three outings of the Allianz National Hurling League this year. Alongside Tony Kelly, O’Connor was viewed as one of Clare’s best players in the qualifier win over Wexford last year which secured their place in the quarter-finals, he had been dropped for the game previously when they narrowly defeated Eddie Brennan’s Laois.

Captain of the Clare side during Donal Moloney and Gerry O’Connor’s three year tenure in charge of the county hurlers which included reaching two Munster finals and the All-Ireland semi-final of 2018.

He made his championship debut under Ger ‘Sparrow’ O’Loughlin in 2011 and had been a regular fixture in the back-line for Davy Fitzgerald’s five year stint in charge and he maintained a starting jersey when Moloney and O’Connor succeeded the Sixmilebridge man.

Should the scans confirm what is viewed to be a worst case scenario, Lohan will once again be left without one of his most experienced players for the championship. Captain John Conlon was unavailable for the 2020 campaign having picked up a cruciate ligament injury in March during the Shannon’s man first year in charge.

Now, the Fitzgibbon Cup manager must plan for 2021 without the longest serving member of the Clare defence.

Clare are back in Allianz NHL action next Saturday when they travel to Parnell Park to face Dublin.

Related News

morey movement 10-08-26 seadna chloe 2
Morey Movement strengthens Sixmilebridge community through fitness
us military troops shannon (1)
Stopping military use of Shannon would damage Irish & US links says NATO commander
feakle festival 10-08-26 2
Feakle Festival hits the high notes with 'biggest festival ever'
WhatsApp Image 2026-08-10 at 14.07
Premier Powerwashing celebrates 4 years in business
Latest News
us military troops shannon (1)
Stopping military use of Shannon would damage Irish & US links says NATO commander
feakle festival 10-08-26 2
Feakle Festival hits the high notes with 'biggest festival ever'
éire óg vs doonbeg 15-08-26 darren moroney gearoid white 1
'We were by no means perfect' - Éire Óg ship three goals for first time since 2020
WhatsApp Image 2026-08-10 at 14.07
Premier Powerwashing celebrates 4 years in business
Cliffs of Moher Seastack  after rockfall || Photo: Doolin Ferry
Section of Cliffs of Moher sea stack crashes into Atlantic
Premium
Ballyea 'don't have full control' on their fate heading into final round
CLARE IFC: Banner & Cooraclare book quarter-final places, Naomh Eoin & Wolfe Tones bounce back & Clondegad keep cruising
Corofin on the cusp of knockout football while putting St Breckans on the brink of relegation battle
Dominance from Ennistymon's middle eight sees them advance to last eight & avenge Kilmihil loss
Corofin look to catch fire at St Breckans' expense

Annual Subscription!

The Clare Echo annual subscription for just €69.99 a year. 

Prefer to pay monthly? Click the monthly option and get the first six months for just €3 a month (less than 75c per week), and thereafter €8 per month. 

Cancel anytime, limited time offer. T&Cs Apply. www.clareecho.ie.