Fianna Fáil held three selection conventions on Sunday and its directive to stick with two candidates has left party members angry and annoyed.

Members voiced their unhappiness with such a policy being followed in the Ennis Municipal District. At present, the party has three councillors on the EMD, however it is anticipated that Tom McNamara will run in the Kilrush area in May and therefore he did not put his name forward for selection in Ennis. Cllr Clare Colleran Molloy topped the poll and was followed by Cllr Pat Daly, former councillor Bernard Hanrahan and Mark Nestor finished in third and fourth respectively.

Despite headquarters issuing the directive for only two candidates to be selected, those present insisted that both Hanrahan and Nestor be added to the party ticket in Ennis. At the conclusion of Sunday’s convention, just Colleran Molloy and Daly were nominated leaving members annoyed.

A spokesperson for Fianna Fáil HQ revealed the issue would be reviewed and there remains a possibility of both individuals being added to ballot paper and of alterations to their ticket across the county. “The Party’s National Constituencies Committee (NCC) will consider the matter and will consult with the local organisation in due course. The NCC keeps all tickets under review.”

In Shannon, General Election candidate, Cllr Cathal Crowe and Cllr Pat McMahon were given the nod. No other individual sought a nomination for this district, but it is anticipated that with an extra seat added to the Shannon Municipal District they will announce another candidate here in the weeks ahead.

Party members were surprised when long-standing councillor, Michael Hillery withdrew his name from the selection for the Ennistymon area. First elected in 1985, the Spanish Point native told The Clare Echo that changes to the electoral area prompted his decision to retire from politics. Both he and Cllr Richard Nagle were nominated to represent the party but following Hillery’s withdrawal, just Nagle was put forward. The search has begun to find a replacement candidate.

No date has yet been confirmed for the Kilrush selection. Last month, the trio of Alan O’Callaghan, Tony O’Brien and Pat Hayes were nominated to contest the local elections in Killaloe.

Related News

Lahinch - The Daily Click
Disappointment but no surprise as Lahinch loses Blue Flag status
delta united aer lingus shannon airport 1-2
Chicago & New York routes return to strengthen Shannon's transatlantic traffic
cathaoirleach awards 1-2
Community champions honoured at Galway Cathaoirleach's awards
saoirse lillis mcmahon 1
'Our goodbyes were stolen' by drinking motorist who killed Michael, say family
Latest News
Peadar-Tom Mercier
€33.8k to be split among 13 recipients in Artist Support Scheme
Lahinch - The Daily Click
Disappointment but no surprise as Lahinch loses Blue Flag status
delta united aer lingus shannon airport 1-2
Chicago & New York routes return to strengthen Shannon's transatlantic traffic
woodstock golf club
Close to 100 teams play classic in memory of Carmel & Ena
cathaoirleach awards 1-2
Community champions honoured at Galway Cathaoirleach's awards
Premium
Kelly making the most of the big days on and off the pitch
Minister defends decision to choose new hospital for region before visiting Clare
Seven quarter-final spots filled in Clare Cup following penultimate round
Profits increased threefold to €3.12m at Atlantic Aviation Group
Cusack Park 'needs development' - board told stand of county grounds 'not fit for purpose'

Annual Subscription!

The Clare Echo annual subscription for just €69.99 a year. 

Prefer to pay monthly? Click the monthly option and get the first six months for just €3 a month (less than 75c per week), and thereafter €8 per month. 

Cancel anytime, limited time offer. T&Cs Apply. www.clareecho.ie.