Quin cancer campaigner, John Wall has received a commitment from the Minister for Health to review the Terminal Illness Card.

In July, John went public detailing how he has had his medical card revoked twice since receiving a terminal diagnosis two years previously. Following on from this, he requested a meeting with Minister for Health, Simon Harris to discuss his experience in an attempt to resolve “this appalling mess”.

On Monday, John met Minister Harris along with senior representatives from the Department of Health, Primary Care Reimbursement Service and the HSE. The meeting lasted well over an hour and he received a full apology from the Department and the HSE regarding his experience with the medical card scandal.

During the discussions, Harris pledged to establish a review group to ensure what happened to John is not repeated. The application process and patient communications are to be reviewed as part of this with the aim of creating a more streamlined experience. This group which will be in place before the end of November will be comprised of Department officials, representatives from different NGOs including the Irish Cancer Society, Marie Keating Foundation and Mr Wall.

Speaking to The Clare Echo, John described as “significant” the commitment to review The Terminal Illness Card “with specific reference to the current necessity to be have a prognosis of 12 months or less left to live”.

“I have campaigned for this period to be significantly extended as it is my firm belief that terminal patients should be entitled to a terminal illness card without the current limitation attached. Of note is that once approved this type of card will never be reviewed nor ever expire,” he stated.

Separately, John will be working side by side with The National Cancer Control Programme as a patient representatives which he said will give him “a platform to influence The National Cancer Strategy from a patients perspective”.

“Overall it was a very productive meeting that met expectations and will lead to significant change, which will in turn lead to a significant overhaul of The Medical Card System and the associated application process. I very much look forward to working alongside the various Government Departments for some time to come and very much welcome The Minister’s intervention, commitment and time on issues that have personally become very important to resolve and as a result of today’s meeting, am confident they will be,” the father of two added.

Related News

11022026_Smithstown_Light_Engineering_0136
Smithstown Light Engineering help Coláiste team to ignite for F1 in schools
blake's corner bob singer
Threefold increase in roads funding for Co Clare
25
'This is harder than Hyrox' - Kilmaley back on the hunt for The Toughest Tribe
TMP_8382 padraic hayes
Clare Leader Forum pushing for once-off emergency cost of disability payment
Latest News
clare v fermanagh 15-02-26 dermot coughlan brian mcnamara 1
Coughlan hopeful Clare will kick on after picking up first league win
TMP_8382 padraic hayes
Clare Leader Forum pushing for once-off emergency cost of disability payment
newmarket celtic vs avenue utd 30-11-25 eoghan thynne 1
Thynne is on Avenue's side in Shannon Town late show, Tulla thump Fair Green & Kilrush move on in Clare Cup
shannon airport terminal upgrade 1-2
Construction starts on €15m upgrade of arrivals area in Shannon Airport
Photograph by Eamon Ward
Dooley says Ireland should fulfill fixtures against Israel & backs call for game to be held in Dublin
Premium
GALLERY: Banner bask in Junior glory
Clare footballers leap into gear with six point win over Fermanagh
Avenue, Bridge, Dons & Tulla progress to last 16 of Clare Cup
GALLERY: O'Callaghans Mills celebrate promotion to top tier at victory social
McNamara rescues a draw for Clare in capital league opener

Subscribe for just €3 per month

If you’re here, you care about County Clare. So do we. Did you rely on us for Covid-19 updates, follow our election coverage, or visit The Clare Echo every week for breaking news and sport? The Clare Echo invests in local journalism and we want to safeguard its future in our county. By becoming a subscriber you are supporting what we do, will receive access to all our premium articles and a better experience, while helping us improve our offering to you. Subscribe to clareecho.ie and get the first six months for just €3 a month (less than 75c per week), and thereafter €8 per month. Cancel anytime, limited time offer. T&Cs Apply. www.clareecho.ie.