*Clonlara’s Cian Moriarty. Photograph: Gerard O’Neill

The GAA fixtures plan for Clare for the 2021 season was unanimously adopted, with a few minor adjustments, when the May meeting of the board took place online on Monday evening.

The football leagues will commence on June 7th and will be run off over five rounds without promotion and relegation, the Clare Cup will start on the following weekend (June 12/13). The second round of both will take place on the weekend of 19/20 with dual clubs requesting one of these games take place on the Friday.

A number of clubs expressed concern at being asked to play all of their league games without members of the U20 county panel and there was support for the view that clubs be allowed to consult with the county managements in those grades about having some players from those panels available for some of those games.

Corofin’s Ambrose Heagney, commended the masters fixtures committee but said “the issue will be the under 20 players. We have six involved with the two under 20 county panels. Three of those are aged 18 and we want to introduce them to out intermediate teams this year so we would be hoping to get them for some games”. Éire Óg’s Rory Hickey supported the view of his fellow former referee.

Joe Garry of Cooraclare said that “while I have sympathy for Corofin and Eire Og, the under 20 Clare footballers will be playing at the beginning of July which leaves them with just three weekends to prepare. Clare football is in a very good spot at present and I would hate to hamper that. We must row in behind the county under 20s”.

There will be an U19 development competition in July to be run midweek and clubs will have to confirm if they want to take part.

An U21 competition will also be held in November or December and into the New Year if required. A number of clubs were strong in the view that a competition had to be run for this age group and these included Sixmilebridge’s Christy Murray who stressed that “we are losing players in this age group and we have to provide hurling for them”.

Supporting this Kilmaley’s Conor Clancy said “a lot of players at this age group don’t have a lot of games. Underage players are getting the short straw. There was no under 16 last year. If we have to play on St. Stephen’s Day like they do with the North Kerry championship, then so be it”, the two-time All-Ireland winner remarked.

Relegation from the senior hurling championship will be decided on a league basis involving the bottom team from each of the four groups. This came about following a proposal from Whitegate delegate David Solon.

Advertisement

Related News

ballymacaula 1
Plans for Ennis' largest housing scheme meet stumbling block
doolin coast guard
Coast Guard say they have no concerns over atmosphere in Doolin unit
raw killaloe 1
Popular Killaloe cafe and pizzeria RAW to close its doors
Shannon Airport (2)
Rail link for Shannon Airport 'can be done & it's a matter of getting it done' says Junior Minister
Latest News
doolin coast guard
Coast Guard say they have no concerns over atmosphere in Doolin unit
raw killaloe 1
Popular Killaloe cafe and pizzeria RAW to close its doors
Shannon Airport (2)
Rail link for Shannon Airport 'can be done & it's a matter of getting it done' says Junior Minister
clare v cork 20-04-25 eibhear quilligan 1
Clare keeper Quilligan to undergo surgery on injured knee this week
mercedes optimum autos 1
Three of the six stolen vehicles from Optimum Autos recovered
Premium
Shannon Airport (2)
Rail link for Shannon Airport 'can be done & it's a matter of getting it done' says Junior Minister
clare v cork 20-04-25 eibhear quilligan 1
Clare keeper Quilligan to undergo surgery on injured knee this week
mercedes optimum autos 1
Three of the six stolen vehicles from Optimum Autos recovered
clonlara v crusheen 23-08-25 diarmuid mullins colm galvin 1
The Water Break: Eruptions of excitement already with Clare SHC quarter-final pairings
Bristow SAR Shannon 31
Launch of Shannon service is 'next generation of Coast Guard aviation'

Advertisement

Subscribe for just €3 per month

If you’re here, you care about County Clare. So do we. Did you rely on us for Covid-19 updates, follow our election coverage, or visit The Clare Echo every week for breaking news and sport? The Clare Echo invests in local journalism and we want to safeguard its future in our county. By becoming a subscriber you are supporting what we do, will receive access to all our premium articles and a better experience, while helping us improve our offering to you. Subscribe to clareecho.ie and get the first six months for just €3 a month (less than 75c per week), and thereafter €8 per month. Cancel anytime, limited time offer. T&Cs Apply. www.clareecho.ie.