*Photograph: John Mangan

An organised meeting for members of the Beef Plan has been cancelled.

Due to take place at Hotel Woodstock in Ennis this evening (Tuesday), the meeting was to discuss the group’s position following the conclusion of last week’s talks with Meat Industry Ireland (MII) and Minister for Agriculture, Michael Creed.

However The Clare Echo understands that Beef Plan are fearful actions of personnel in the audience could damage their image and subsequently hinder negotiations aimed at securing a better price for their product along with fears of legal action. Subsequently, the decision was made to cancel the gathering.

Members have expressed their annoyance with the outcome of the talks, “very little was achieved on the key issues for farmers,” one Clare farmer stated. The draft deal was rejected by the Beef Plan.

“We talk about going back into talks but it’s a waste of time going back in if we can’t talk about price. We mentioned price every time we were in there but unfortunately it couldn’t be talked about, or so we were told,” IFA President Joe Healy remarked of the prospects of negotiations resuming.

Protests which were suspended to allow talks to commence have resumed but the Beef Plan as one member outlined “is prohibited from taking part in the current farmer led protests and is not encouraging its members to participate”.

On Tuesday, the High Court granted an injunction against the protests restraining groups from blockading eleven factories. Kepak’s meat processing plant at Tiermaclane is not covered in the restraints.

Some of the protesters at Tiermaclane vowed to continue to maintain their presence until talks focused on price, retail and independent views begin.

Advertisement

Related News

jim gavin 2
Crowe rows in behind Jim Gavin to get Fianna Fáil nomination for Presidential election
1 Shannon Airport_Munster Rugby Women's Bus
Shannon Airport & Munster get new wheels ahead of Interpro final
Shannon, Ireland, June
Shannon will not receive 15 extra Gardaí despite claims of Govt TDs
Springfield3
€5.2m Springfield flood relief scheme 'makes fear & devastation of flooding a thing of the past' in Clonlara
Latest News
lahinch ladies golf
Lahinch ladies chasing senior cup honours
stephen murray cian mulrooney 1
Murray trained Bayview Wild finishes like a train
kildysart v kilmihil 29-08-25 conall casey stan lineen 1
Kildysart produce extra time kick to seal senior status & leave Kilmihil in relegation final
jim gavin 2
Crowe rows in behind Jim Gavin to get Fianna Fáil nomination for Presidential election
feakle v newmarket-on-fergus 08-08-25 oisin donnellan 1
'Next man up' the focus in Feakle despite injury crisis
Premium
Springfield3
€5.2m Springfield flood relief scheme 'makes fear & devastation of flooding a thing of the past' in Clonlara
st josephs miltown v doonbeg 16-08-24 sean neylon eoghan killeen 1
Doonbeg & Miltown to battle it out for last remaining quarter-final spot
ballymacaula 1
Plans for Ennis' largest housing scheme meet stumbling block
doolin coast guard
Coast Guard say they have no concerns over atmosphere in Doolin unit
Shannon Airport (2)
Rail link for Shannon Airport 'can be done & it's a matter of getting it done' says Junior Minister

Advertisement

Subscribe for just €3 per month

If you’re here, you care about County Clare. So do we. Did you rely on us for Covid-19 updates, follow our election coverage, or visit The Clare Echo every week for breaking news and sport? The Clare Echo invests in local journalism and we want to safeguard its future in our county. By becoming a subscriber you are supporting what we do, will receive access to all our premium articles and a better experience, while helping us improve our offering to you. Subscribe to clareecho.ie and get the first six months for just €3 a month (less than 75c per week), and thereafter €8 per month. Cancel anytime, limited time offer. T&Cs Apply. www.clareecho.ie.