*Photograph: @thepmanofficial

Discharge of wastewater into the sea at Kilkee has prompted the issuing of a Do Not Swim notice.

On the advice of the HSE and in the interest of public health, members of the public are advised not to swim or engage in other recreational activities in the water at this time.

Irish Water is aware of the wastewater incident relating to its wastewater infrastructure. In the meantime, Clare County Council has raised red flags at Kilkee beach and removed the Blue Flag until such time as water quality tests allow for a lifting of the ‘Do Not Swim’ notice.

Kilkee Bay Swim had been due to take place on Saturday afternoon but was postponed till Sunday due to wind forecasts. The swim will now be postponed till a later date. The Munster Lifesaving Championships were also due to take place there this weekend.

Local Fianna Fáil councillor, Cillian Murphy lamented the lack of basic maintenance work for causing the problem. “Once again, we are dealing with the consequences of a complete failure to do basic maintenance work on our wastewater treatment system. Two years ago an electrical fault saw our beach closed for a significant period, now a burst pipe has led to another closure order. I understand water quality testing will take place on Monday, and given a clear test result, we should have the beach back open on Wednesday”.

He added, “The reputation of Kilkee as a water based activity destination is damaged, local businesses and the community will have to pick up the tab”.

Related News

shannon airport terminal upgrade 1-2
Construction starts on €15m upgrade of arrivals area in Shannon Airport
Photograph by Eamon Ward
Dooley says Ireland should fulfill fixtures against Israel & backs call for game to be held in Dublin
donna mcgettigan 1
AI sexualised images must be criminalised immediately says Clare TD Donna
computer keyboard type 1
Warring Clare couple living in same home but only communicating via email
Latest News
Photograph by Eamon Ward
Dooley says Ireland should fulfill fixtures against Israel & backs call for game to be held in Dublin
clare v fermanagh 15-02-26 stephen ryan 2
Clare footballers release four weeks of tension by collecting first league win
donna mcgettigan 1
AI sexualised images must be criminalised immediately says Clare TD Donna
computer keyboard type 1
Warring Clare couple living in same home but only communicating via email
shannon airport fencing 2
Supreme Court appeal prompts judge to adjourn trial of Pro-Palestinian activists at Shannon Airport
Premium
GALLERY: Banner bask in Junior glory
Clare footballers leap into gear with six point win over Fermanagh
Avenue, Bridge, Dons & Tulla progress to last 16 of Clare Cup
GALLERY: O'Callaghans Mills celebrate promotion to top tier at victory social
McNamara rescues a draw for Clare in capital league opener

Subscribe for just €3 per month

If you’re here, you care about County Clare. So do we. Did you rely on us for Covid-19 updates, follow our election coverage, or visit The Clare Echo every week for breaking news and sport? The Clare Echo invests in local journalism and we want to safeguard its future in our county. By becoming a subscriber you are supporting what we do, will receive access to all our premium articles and a better experience, while helping us improve our offering to you. Subscribe to clareecho.ie and get the first six months for just €3 a month (less than 75c per week), and thereafter €8 per month. Cancel anytime, limited time offer. T&Cs Apply. www.clareecho.ie.