*Photograph: John Mangan

Seven new cases of COVID-19 have been diagnosed in Co Clare.

A total of 190 new cases have been recorded across the country bringing the national tally to 27,499. Of the 190 cases announced on Tuesday, seven are located in Co Clare which is the fifth highest of all counties reporting an increase.

It means that 439 persons from Clare have been diagnosed with COVID-19 since the first case emerged in the county back in March.

Kildare once again accounts for the majority of cases (48), followed by Dublin (46), Tipperary (38), Limerick (20) and Clare. The remaining 31 persons to test positive are located in Carlow, Cork, Kerry, Kilkenny, Laois, Louth, Meath, Offaly, Waterford, Wexford and Wicklow.

According to the Health Protection Surveillance Centre, 75 percent of the cases are under the age of 45. Community transmission is responsible for 14 of the cases with 75 attributed to close contact with a known case or outbreak.

One further death has been recorded, the Department of Health have confirmed. Since March, 1,775 people have died from the virus.

Earlier today, UL Hospitals Group confirmed there had been an outbreak of COVID-19 at University Hospital Limerick.

Acting Chief Medical Officer, Dr Ronan Glynn in a statement on Tuesday evening highlighted that a balance “between enjoying our lives and behaving responsibly” must be found. “By reducing our social contacts and following the public health advice we can suppress this virus.

“To keep our shops, hotels, restaurants and sporting activities open, we need every household to play it’s part and every workplace and organisation to provide a safe environment so that we can protect our loved ones, safeguard the most vulnerable, protect our health services and ensure children get back to school in the coming weeks,” he added.

Related News

carrigaholt post office 18-05-26 luke ashton tom o'callaghan gabriel keating 1
Carrigaholt's community spirit comes to the fore to lift Loop Head Peninsula
carrigaholt post office 18-05-26 shop 1
'Something positive was born out of a tragic situation' - Carrigaholt opens new store following overwhelming community support
garda youth awards winners 2
Clare teenagers inspire as winners of eight annual Garda Youth awards are named
judge courtroom
Former HSE hospital porter receives 45 month prison term for sexual assault of child
Latest News
cloister ennis 09-03-26 1
'This can make the town' - refreshed plans submitted for Cloister building
carrigaholt post office 18-05-26 gabriel keating maura mckiernan 7
'Tremendous opportunity for Carrigaholt' says Keating with Irish College 'in the middle of planning process'
carrigaholt post office 18-05-26 luke ashton tom o'callaghan gabriel keating 1
Carrigaholt's community spirit comes to the fore to lift Loop Head Peninsula
shelbourne park
Clare greyhounds strike in Shelbourne Park
clare vs tipperary 16-05-26 brian lohan 1
Qualifying for All-Ireland series 'was crucial' says Lohan as Clare answer big questions
Premium
'This can make the town' - refreshed plans submitted for Cloister building
Carrigaholt's community spirit comes to the fore to lift Loop Head Peninsula
Qualifying for All-Ireland series 'was crucial' says Lohan as Clare answer big questions
Terence's troops refusal to give in leads them to Munster glory
'Something positive was born out of a tragic situation' - Carrigaholt opens new store following overwhelming community support

Annual Subscription!

The Clare Echo annual subscription for just €69.99 a year. 

Prefer to pay monthly? Click the monthly option and get the first six months for just €3 a month (less than 75c per week), and thereafter €8 per month. 

Cancel anytime, limited time offer. T&Cs Apply. www.clareecho.ie.