*Photograph: John Mangan

Seven new cases of COVID-19 have been reported in Clare while the amount of cases nationally are “static”.

Clare’s 14 day incidence rate per 100k of the population is the fourth lowest in the country at 54.7. There are seven new cases in the county, the National Public Health Emergency Team (NPHET) stated on Thursday.

Making her first appearance at a NPHET COVID-19 briefing, Director of Public Health Mid-West, Dr Mai Mannix said there had been a “number of new outbreaks related to funerals” in the Mid-West. “It feels unnatural to us because the Irish do funerals well. None of us would want our family funerals to be a cause of serious illness for others”. She cautioned the need to be careful surrounding a wake-house.

Workplace outbreaks have been observed in the Mid-West, Dr Mannix flagged. “Slippage” at smoke breaks is leading to “a lot of congregation” and a subsequent rise in close contacts, she flagged. “It happens in workplaces and it also happens during break times because people relax and forget you have to social distance at those times”.

Employers must continue to encourage working from home, Dr Ronan Glynn stated. “We want people to work from home for the next two, three to four months,” the Deputy Chief Medical Officer commented.

No new deaths related to the virus are known across the country. Since March 2020, 4,566 persons have died because of COVID-19 in the Republic of Ireland.

Health officials are aware of 582 new cases nationally. 156 are in Dublin, 23 in Meath, 19 in Donegal, 15 in Louth, 14 in Kildare and the remaining 198 cases are spread across 20 other counties.

Speaking at Thursday’s NPHET press briefing, Chair of the NPHET Irish Epidemiological Modelling Advisory Group, Professor Philip Nolan said the highest incidence of the virus is in the 19-24 age-bracket and the lowest is in those aged 65 plus. Up to 25 percent of cases are from workplace settings, he said.

Cases are materialising in schools, he said with more expected in the coming weeks. “Nonetheless, the number remains a very small fraction of total cases in the population”. The number of new cases are “static or declining slowly,” he said. The incidence has plateaued with “no clear pattern by age-group”.

Professor Nolan cautioned that an increase is “clear and significant attendances in workplace settings and clear decreases in the number of hours spent at home”.

Hospital data from 8am on Thursday showed that 83 persons remain in intensive care, they are among the 345 in hospital because of COVID-19, 24 of which were admitted in the past 24 hours. Professor Nolan said there has been a “continued decrease in numbers in intensive care but one might worry it is not decreasing as quickly as it has been in previous weeks”.

Latest vaccine data from Monday details that 620,580 vaccines have been administered. 165,398 persons have received both doses.

“I know people are absolutely exhausted,” Dr Glynn acknowledged. He stressed the need for a fourth wave to be prevented while the majority of the population wait to be vaccinated.

Related News

shannon airport terminal upgrade 1-2
Construction starts on €15m upgrade of arrivals area in Shannon Airport
Photograph by Eamon Ward
Dooley says Ireland should fulfill fixtures against Israel & backs call for game to be held in Dublin
donna mcgettigan 1
AI sexualised images must be criminalised immediately says Clare TD Donna
computer keyboard type 1
Warring Clare couple living in same home but only communicating via email
Latest News
Photograph by Eamon Ward
Dooley says Ireland should fulfill fixtures against Israel & backs call for game to be held in Dublin
clare v fermanagh 15-02-26 stephen ryan 2
Clare footballers release four weeks of tension by collecting first league win
donna mcgettigan 1
AI sexualised images must be criminalised immediately says Clare TD Donna
computer keyboard type 1
Warring Clare couple living in same home but only communicating via email
shannon airport fencing 2
Supreme Court appeal prompts judge to adjourn trial of Pro-Palestinian activists at Shannon Airport
Premium
GALLERY: Banner bask in Junior glory
Clare footballers leap into gear with six point win over Fermanagh
Avenue, Bridge, Dons & Tulla progress to last 16 of Clare Cup
GALLERY: O'Callaghans Mills celebrate promotion to top tier at victory social
McNamara rescues a draw for Clare in capital league opener

Subscribe for just €3 per month

If you’re here, you care about County Clare. So do we. Did you rely on us for Covid-19 updates, follow our election coverage, or visit The Clare Echo every week for breaking news and sport? The Clare Echo invests in local journalism and we want to safeguard its future in our county. By becoming a subscriber you are supporting what we do, will receive access to all our premium articles and a better experience, while helping us improve our offering to you. Subscribe to clareecho.ie and get the first six months for just €3 a month (less than 75c per week), and thereafter €8 per month. Cancel anytime, limited time offer. T&Cs Apply. www.clareecho.ie.