*Trevor Quinn at Ennis Courthouse. 

An 18-year old charged in connection with an alleged ‘random’ broad daylight machete attack on a busy Ennis street two weeks ago is sleeping on a mattress on a floor at Limerick prison while on remand, a court has heard.

At Ennis District Court, Trevor Quinn (18) of Hermitage, Ennis was appearing via video link from Limerick prison where he is charged in connection with the alleged machete attack on Shane Tuohy at Ennis’s Mill Rd at 3.30pm on Wednesday, November 20th.

In court, solicitor for Mr Quinn, Daragh Hassett said that not only has Mr Quinn not received any medical attention while at Limerick prison as recommended by Judge Gabbett “but he is sleeping on a mattress on the floor”.

Mr Hassett said that Mr Quinn has a better chance of seeing a doctor in the prison “if he has his own cell”.

In the incident, the machete was allegedly thrown into the River Fergus after the alleged assault and Judge Gabbett said, “I see the weapon was found”.

Sgt John Burke told Judge Gabbett that DPP directions are not yet received and asked for a further two week remand in custody for Mr Quinn to December 11th to Ennis District Court.

In court last week, Judge Gabbett refused bail to Mr Quinn after viewing photos of the alleged machete injuries to Mr Tuohy’s neck and ear.

Judge Alec Gabbett said that Mr Tuohy was ‘3mm from death’.

Judge Gabbett said that Mr Tuohy’s artery was visible from the neck wound in the photos provided by Gardaí.

During a contested bail hearing last week, Judge Gabbett said that “this young man’s ear was nearly sliced off. It is but for the grace of God that this man is alive.”

Looking at the photos, Judge Gabbett said, “Death was not far off. One more millimetre and that artery was severed and you would have a minute at best. That is what really concerns me”.

Judge Gabbett said that the photos of the alleged injuries suffered show that they “were made with an extremely sharp implement with almost surgical precision”.

Mr Quinn is facing four separate charges and they are the assault causing harm of Shane Tuohy, a charge of violent disorder on Ennis’s Mill Rd and charges concerning the use of a machete and the possession of a carpet knife.

Garda Alison White said that Mr Quinn has no previous convictions and has not been before the courts before.

Judge Gabbett said that Mr Quinn “is just a hair’s breadth over 18 and he is charged with extraordinary serious offences”.

Judge Gabbett remanded Mr Quinn further in custody to Limerick prison to appear via video link at Ennis District Court for December 11th and recommended that he receive medical attention.

Related News

celtic mist shannon estuary 1
Kilrush based Celtic Mist to be retired this year
Ennis Courthouse
Kilmihil man pleads guilty to careless driving causing serious bodily harm to boy
parteen basin 1
'They have everything else inside the Pale they don't need the River Shannon'
TMP_6862
Tubber NS marks new school and 150th birthday with visit from President Catherine Connolly
Latest News
golf bag
Quinn wins stableford competition in East Clare
bridge utd vs bunratty cratloe 08-02-26 kyle kirby david collins 1
Avenue, Bridge, Dons & Tulla progress to last 16 of Clare Cup
o'callaghans mills social 31-01-26 aidan o'gorman sinead conlon seán cotter 1
GALLERY: O'Callaghans Mills celebrate promotion to top tier at victory social
celtic mist shannon estuary 1
Kilrush based Celtic Mist to be retired this year
clare v kilkenny camogie 19-02-23 lorna mcnamara 1
McNamara rescues a draw for Clare in capital league opener
Premium
Kilmihil man pleads guilty to careless driving causing serious bodily harm to boy
'They have everything else inside the Pale they don't need the River Shannon'
'Time to stop the pussy footing on talk of Shannon Airport rail link'
Pat Begley remembered as one of Ennistymon's greatest & an honourable Garda
Fermanagh fixture is Clare's chance to turn around poor league start

Subscribe for just €3 per month

If you’re here, you care about County Clare. So do we. Did you rely on us for Covid-19 updates, follow our election coverage, or visit The Clare Echo every week for breaking news and sport? The Clare Echo invests in local journalism and we want to safeguard its future in our county. By becoming a subscriber you are supporting what we do, will receive access to all our premium articles and a better experience, while helping us improve our offering to you. Subscribe to clareecho.ie and get the first six months for just €3 a month (less than 75c per week), and thereafter €8 per month. Cancel anytime, limited time offer. T&Cs Apply. www.clareecho.ie.