*Violet-Anne Wynne at the General Election count in The Falls Hotel. Photograph: John Mangan

Concern has been expressed by Clare TD Violet-Anne Wynne (SF) over the level of worry experienced by parents within the county about accessing childcare when they attempt to return to work.

Wynne has highlighted the matter in a parliamentary question to Taoiseach Leo Varadkar (FG) and called for workers to be protected when they begin to return to employment.

Of ‘particular concern’ to the Kilrush woman is the amount of female workers who have made contact “to express their worry about the provision of childcare”. Violet-Anne stated that it had “accepted” female workers on low incomes were the most affected in job losses during the pandemic.

Closed childcare facilities has made “a return to work nearly impossible for these mothers”, she stated. “Many female worker’s with children would have previously relied on grandparents to help with looking after children during working hours before COVID-19. However the now isolation of grandparents makes such family help impossible. Employers cannot put pressure on female worker’s with children to return to work without first making provision for their childcare needs”.

Ireland’s roadmap for reopening society and businesses needs to be applied in every workforce, she maintained. “The Protocol must be used by all workplaces to adapt their workplace procedures and practices to comply fully with the COVID-19 related public health protection measures. Providing childcare to female workers with children is a vital workplace practice that has to be made. The threat of a job loss cannot be used to pressure mothers”.

Related News

cathal crowe jim o'callaghan joe cooney 1
Clare will get more Gardaí & Justice Minister open to reviewing merged policing model with Tipperary
shannon airport asu may 26-2
Eight recruits appointed to Shannon Airport's search unit
joe cooney jennifer carroll macneill 1
Chances of new acute hospital in Clare are very slim
ennis courthouse tent 24-02-21 4
Man accused of €2m drug bust in Kilmihil tells court he was told consignment was 'car parts'
Latest News
clare vs tipperary 16-05-26 ian galvin 2
Clare topple Tipp to get championship campaign back on track
noel jordan 1
Lisdoonvarna retailer jailed for two years & seven months for sexual assault of schoolboy in 1980s
golf ball rain
Winning Pierce Purcell starts for Kilrush, Dromoland & Spanish Point
cathal crowe jim o'callaghan joe cooney 1
Clare will get more Gardaí & Justice Minister open to reviewing merged policing model with Tipperary
newmarket celtic vs bridge utd 15-05-26 jack kelly conor mcdaid david mccarthy 1
Newmarket Celtic recapture crown as Premier Division champions
Premium
Newmarket Celtic recapture crown as Premier Division champions
Tony Griffin goes 'full circle' with return to Clare hurling fold
Changes expected to Clare team for Tipp tie
Man accused of €2m drug bust in Kilmihil tells court he was told consignment was 'car parts'
Clare businessman applies to demolish €1m Lahinch home and build one double in size

Annual Subscription!

The Clare Echo annual subscription for just €69.99 a year. 

Prefer to pay monthly? Click the monthly option and get the first six months for just €3 a month (less than 75c per week), and thereafter €8 per month. 

Cancel anytime, limited time offer. T&Cs Apply. www.clareecho.ie.