THE Broadford to Oatfield Windfarm Action Group has challenged the developers behind the Knockshanvo and Oatfield windfarms to engage meaningfully with the communities of East Clare.

According to the East Clare group, developers have “relied on repetitive, boilerplate press releases issued by an organisation presenting itself as Wind Energy Ireland (WEI). While WEI may claim to speak with authority, it is important to remember that it is a privately funded body whose interests are aligned with those of the developers”.

Alex O’Connor, spokesperson for the action group, said, “What’s happening here in East Clare will likely be remembered for years as an example of how not to engage with a community. Requests for local consultation events have been met with silence, while developers rely on a steady stream of media releases to try and drown out legitimate concerns. We’ve taken the time to review the plans and seek professional advice; this community is well aware of the grim reality that lies ahead if we don’t speak up”.

In a statement issued to The Clare Echo last week, WEI cites four proposed windfarms in East Clare, however the Broadford to Oatfield Windfarm Action Group claim that the real number “is at least six, involving over 100 turbines”.

“More worryingly, WEI has brushed off the prospect of a decade of traffic disruption in the region, something local residents know all too well from examining the planning applications.”

The group has also raised concerns about noise pollution. “We challenge any representative from WEI to step away from their keyboards and engage with us, the people who are going to be living with the consequences of these developments,” O’Connor continued. “Come to East Clare, see the landscape, and witness firsthand the changes being proposed. The developers’ so-called consultation, which involved displaying a few maps in a hotel in another county, hardly qualifies as meaningful engagement.”

The action group urges the community to remain vigilant as the deadline for submitting observations on the Knockshanvo wind farm with An Bord Pleanála approaches. Submissions must be made by 5pm on Thursday, October 31, 2024 (Case Reference PA03.320705).

Related News

Lahinch - The Daily Click
Disappointment but no surprise as Lahinch loses Blue Flag status
delta united aer lingus shannon airport 1-2
Chicago & New York routes return to strengthen Shannon's transatlantic traffic
cathaoirleach awards 1-2
Community champions honoured at Galway Cathaoirleach's awards
saoirse lillis mcmahon 1
'Our goodbyes were stolen' by drinking motorist who killed Michael, say family
Latest News
Peadar-Tom Mercier
€33.8k to be split among 13 recipients in Artist Support Scheme
Lahinch - The Daily Click
Disappointment but no surprise as Lahinch loses Blue Flag status
delta united aer lingus shannon airport 1-2
Chicago & New York routes return to strengthen Shannon's transatlantic traffic
woodstock golf club
Close to 100 teams play classic in memory of Carmel & Ena
cathaoirleach awards 1-2
Community champions honoured at Galway Cathaoirleach's awards
Premium
Kelly making the most of the big days on and off the pitch
Minister defends decision to choose new hospital for region before visiting Clare
Seven quarter-final spots filled in Clare Cup following penultimate round
Profits increased threefold to €3.12m at Atlantic Aviation Group
Cusack Park 'needs development' - board told stand of county grounds 'not fit for purpose'

Annual Subscription!

The Clare Echo annual subscription for just €69.99 a year. 

Prefer to pay monthly? Click the monthly option and get the first six months for just €3 a month (less than 75c per week), and thereafter €8 per month. 

Cancel anytime, limited time offer. T&Cs Apply. www.clareecho.ie.