*David Fitzgerald gets away from Shane Reck. Photograph: Gerard O’Neill

An All-Ireland semi-final with Kilkenny is now occupying the thoughts of Clare’s senior hurlers and a big improvement is needed, one of their key forwards has said.

Securing their place in the last four was made possible due to the impact from the bench on Saturday in their 1-24 3-14 win over Wexford.

That’s the view of midfielder David Fitzgerald, scorer of Clare’s opening point. Speaking to The Clare Echo, Inagh/Kilnamona clubman said “the bench really got us over the line and SOD’s (Shane O’Donnell) last fifteen minutes was one of the best individual championship displays that I’ve seen”.

Fitzgerald continued, “lads toughed it out. Shan (Aron Shanagher) had some impact off the bench. The way Wexford set up it is man to man for sixty minutes, it’s high intensity the way they play. To an extent they ran out of gas and our fresh legs from the bench kicked in”.

Fitzgerald agreed that “it was always going to be hard to repeat the intensity of the Munster final agains Limerick. There were lots of tired bodies after that game. We were slow to get going today but the bench made the difference”.

Asked if it had been difficult to focus on Saturday’s game given the publicity with regard to the proposed suspensions for Rory Hayes and Peter Duggan he said “not really, everyone stuck to their task. We expected to be without the two lads and that’s what we planned for. Having them was a massive bonus”.

Facing Kilkenny in the All-Ireland semi-final will be “a new challenge, they are a great team, they are Leinster champions and today’s display won’t get us anywhere near what will be required. We will have to knuckle down again for two weeks time”.

Related News

LCSP1-2
Anti-social behaviour group set up in Ballinasloe
ruan purcells pub 15-02-26 1
Ruan act of vandalism does not reflect local views
michael mcnamara 6
Strong merit in restricting social media use for teens - McNamara
clareabbey roundabout 1
Pedestrian crossing plans for Clareabbey 'not safe for cyclists, pedestrians or motorists'
Latest News
flagmount ns 1
Schools 'on tenterhooks' over paused plans to cut SNAs
LCSP1-2
Anti-social behaviour group set up in Ballinasloe
clare v fermanagh 15-02-26 darragh bohannon 2
Hammer blows leaves Bohannon & Rouine as big injury doubts
ruan purcells pub 15-02-26 1
Ruan act of vandalism does not reflect local views
clare v tipperary camogie 21-05-22 17 muireann scanlon
'We want to build steel and the skills will follow' - Foudy focused on building spirit of Clare side
Premium
Mid-Term break allowing Clare's injuries to heal
Pedestrian crossing plans for Clareabbey 'not safe for cyclists, pedestrians or motorists'
'There will be uproar' - farmers fume over preferred route for Limerick to Scariff Greenway
Ennis woman 'deliberately dishonest' in 'frankly shocking' case of dividing farmers will of 120 acre farm & €1.5m
Coughlan hopeful Clare will kick on after picking up first league win

Subscribe for just €3 per month

If you’re here, you care about County Clare. So do we. Did you rely on us for Covid-19 updates, follow our election coverage, or visit The Clare Echo every week for breaking news and sport? The Clare Echo invests in local journalism and we want to safeguard its future in our county. By becoming a subscriber you are supporting what we do, will receive access to all our premium articles and a better experience, while helping us improve our offering to you. Subscribe to clareecho.ie and get the first six months for just €3 a month (less than 75c per week), and thereafter €8 per month. Cancel anytime, limited time offer. T&Cs Apply. www.clareecho.ie.