Outgoing councillors in West Clare have agreed not to use posters for the upcoming local elections in May.
 
Cllr Ian Lynch in March 2017 initially raised the suggestion to introduce bylaws to abolish posters for future elections, the move was welcomed by all councillors of the West Clare Municipal District at the time and has been reviewed by the MD since. Legislation prohibits the outright banning of posters for Presidential, European, General and Local elections.

However, administration officer John Corry outlined on Wednesday that a voluntary charter had been agreed by councillors in Newcastlewest where existing members have abstained from putting up posters. “It can’t be enforced through legislation”.

Cathaoirleach, Ian Lynch commented, “Most candidates are very good but some forget about their posters. Anything we can do to help the environment would be positive”. The Independent councillor admitted that he had a pile of old posters still in his shed at home.

“I’ve survived eight elections without a poster”, veteran councillor PJ Kelly declared. “I’m allergic to airbrushing and respect the intelligence of voters”. The Fianna Fáil councillor added, “It is for respect of the people alone, touched up photos won’t change people’s minds”.

Both Cllr Lynch & Cllr Kelly proposed a voluntary charter, they were unanimously supported by fellow elected representatives. The enforcement does not apply to new candidates.

Related News

cathal crowe jim o'callaghan joe cooney 1
Clare will get more Gardaí & Justice Minister open to reviewing merged policing model with Tipperary
shannon airport asu may 26-2
Eight recruits appointed to Shannon Airport's search unit
joe cooney jennifer carroll macneill 1
Chances of new acute hospital in Clare are very slim
ennis courthouse tent 24-02-21 4
Man accused of €2m drug bust in Kilmihil tells court he was told consignment was 'car parts'
Latest News
coachford vs avenue 10-05-26 mark murphy ronan kerin 1
Tulla last Clare team standing in FAI as Avenue & Newmarket crash out
clare vs tipperary 16-05-26 ian galvin 2
Clare topple Tipp to get championship campaign back on track
noel jordan 1
Lisdoonvarna retailer jailed for two years & seven months for sexual assault of schoolboy in 1980s
golf ball rain
Winning Pierce Purcell starts for Kilrush, Dromoland & Spanish Point
cathal crowe jim o'callaghan joe cooney 1
Clare will get more Gardaí & Justice Minister open to reviewing merged policing model with Tipperary
Premium
Newmarket Celtic recapture crown as Premier Division champions
Tony Griffin goes 'full circle' with return to Clare hurling fold
Changes expected to Clare team for Tipp tie
Man accused of €2m drug bust in Kilmihil tells court he was told consignment was 'car parts'
Clare businessman applies to demolish €1m Lahinch home and build one double in size

Annual Subscription!

The Clare Echo annual subscription for just €69.99 a year. 

Prefer to pay monthly? Click the monthly option and get the first six months for just €3 a month (less than 75c per week), and thereafter €8 per month. 

Cancel anytime, limited time offer. T&Cs Apply. www.clareecho.ie.