Family members of the late Patrick Nugent are to meet with Department of Justice officials next week to discuss the findings of an inquiry into the investigation of his death in 1984.

A Garda investigation, a criminal trial, and an inquest have all failed to establish the full truth around the death of the Bunratty Castle banqueting manager.

Patrick’s family initially believed he suffered a heart attack but a postmortem later revealed he died after sustaining extensive internal injuries consistent with a road traffic collision. The 1985 pathology report concluded Mr Nugent was not standing upright when he was apparently struck by a car.

Minister for Justice, Heather Humphreys (FG) confirmed on Tuesday that the long-awaited advice from the Attorney General had been received. She said an in-person meeting was to take place next week with the Nugent family to explain the next steps regarding Judge Clyne’s final report

Clare TD, Michael McNamara (IND) who has raised the matter on numerous occasions in the Dáil told The Clare Echo, ““I am glad that the family will get to discuss the report. It seems that a very serious crime wasn’t investigated properly. The report needs to be published, first for the Nugent family but also for broader society who have a lot of questions”.

Deirdre Nugent, a sister-in-law of Patrick’s said the family remains in limbo with no guarantee of seeing the report. “I would imagine the report will be comprehensive, so it’s very hard to pre-empt what’s going to be in it. The years have rolled into one other, but whatever happens, the family is not going to give up on this, we need the truth, and we need justice”.

Advertisement

Related News

ambulance coast guard scariff 1
Bodyke hurler recovering after picking up head injury which forced abandonment of game vs Whitegate
jim gavin 2
Crowe rows in behind Jim Gavin to get Fianna Fáil nomination for Presidential election
1 Shannon Airport_Munster Rugby Women's Bus
Shannon Airport & Munster get new wheels ahead of Interpro final
Shannon, Ireland, June
Shannon will not receive 15 extra Gardaí despite claims of Govt TDs
Latest News
ambulance coast guard scariff 1
Bodyke hurler recovering after picking up head injury which forced abandonment of game vs Whitegate
Lunch Time Lifestyle with the Clare Echo Contributers (1)
September blooms bringing fresh colour and autumn pots to brighten your garden
lahinch ladies golf
Lahinch ladies chasing senior cup honours
stephen murray cian mulrooney 1
Murray trained Bayview Wild finishes like a train
kildysart v kilmihil 29-08-25 conall casey stan lineen 1
Kildysart produce extra time kick to seal senior status & leave Kilmihil in relegation final
Premium
Shannon, Ireland, June
Shannon will not receive 15 extra Gardaí despite claims of Govt TDs
Springfield3
€5.2m Springfield flood relief scheme 'makes fear & devastation of flooding a thing of the past' in Clonlara
st josephs miltown v doonbeg 16-08-24 sean neylon eoghan killeen 1
Doonbeg & Miltown to battle it out for last remaining quarter-final spot
ballymacaula 1
Plans for Ennis' largest housing scheme meet stumbling block
doolin coast guard
Coast Guard say they have no concerns over atmosphere in Doolin unit

Advertisement

Subscribe for just €3 per month

If you’re here, you care about County Clare. So do we. Did you rely on us for Covid-19 updates, follow our election coverage, or visit The Clare Echo every week for breaking news and sport? The Clare Echo invests in local journalism and we want to safeguard its future in our county. By becoming a subscriber you are supporting what we do, will receive access to all our premium articles and a better experience, while helping us improve our offering to you. Subscribe to clareecho.ie and get the first six months for just €3 a month (less than 75c per week), and thereafter €8 per month. Cancel anytime, limited time offer. T&Cs Apply. www.clareecho.ie.