STRICT visitor restrictions are in place at University Hospital Limerick in light of the continuing outbreak of measles in the Limerick City area.

Restrictions had already been in place since late December following an increase in seasonal influenza.

However, the restrictions will remain enforced as a precaution in view of the ongoing outbreak of measles in the Limerick City area.

“There are currently a small number of patients with measles in isolation at UHL and the hospital is taking all necessary precautions to contain the illness.

“UL Hospitals Group is working closely with public health and community colleagues on the Outbreak Control Team set up to manage this outbreak,” a UHL spokesperson said.

Four cases of Measles have been confirmed in Limerick City since the start of the year.

This number of cases constitutes an outbreak of the disease in the Limerick City.

An “Outbreak Control Team” made up of representatives from the HSE are involved in managing the outbreak in an effort to prevent further spread.

“It is imperative that persons with symptoms of measles do not come to the Emergency Department at UHL seeking a diagnosis unless they are very unwell. “They should in the first distance contact their GP (ideally by telephone) and arrangements can be made to have symptomatic cases swabbed in their own home by public health staff,” the UHL spokesperson added.

Related News

cathal crowe jim o'callaghan joe cooney 1
Clare will get more Gardaí & Justice Minister open to reviewing merged policing model with Tipperary
shannon airport asu may 26-2
Eight recruits appointed to Shannon Airport's search unit
joe cooney jennifer carroll macneill 1
Chances of new acute hospital in Clare are very slim
ennis courthouse tent 24-02-21 4
Man accused of €2m drug bust in Kilmihil tells court he was told consignment was 'car parts'
Latest News
clare vs tipperary 16-05-26 ian galvin 2
Clare topple Tipp to get championship campaign back on track
noel jordan 1
Lisdoonvarna retailer jailed for two years & seven months for sexual assault of schoolboy in 1980s
golf ball rain
Winning Pierce Purcell starts for Kilrush, Dromoland & Spanish Point
cathal crowe jim o'callaghan joe cooney 1
Clare will get more Gardaí & Justice Minister open to reviewing merged policing model with Tipperary
newmarket celtic vs bridge utd 15-05-26 jack kelly conor mcdaid david mccarthy 1
Newmarket Celtic recapture crown as Premier Division champions
Premium
Newmarket Celtic recapture crown as Premier Division champions
Tony Griffin goes 'full circle' with return to Clare hurling fold
Changes expected to Clare team for Tipp tie
Man accused of €2m drug bust in Kilmihil tells court he was told consignment was 'car parts'
Clare businessman applies to demolish €1m Lahinch home and build one double in size

Annual Subscription!

The Clare Echo annual subscription for just €69.99 a year. 

Prefer to pay monthly? Click the monthly option and get the first six months for just €3 a month (less than 75c per week), and thereafter €8 per month. 

Cancel anytime, limited time offer. T&Cs Apply. www.clareecho.ie.