*Wexford manager, Darragh Egan. Photograph: Gerard O’Neill

WEXFORD manager, Darragh Egan pulled no punches after his charges were annihilated by Clare on Sunday.

By the final whistle, twenty two points separated the sides in what was Clare’s biggest win over the Model County in the National Hurling League.

An All-Ireland winner with the Tipperary hurlers in 2010, Darragh was very frustrated in the aftermath of such a heavy defeat. “Nothing can excuse conceding 4-17 in the first half and I want to make that very clear. That is just not acceptable. We won five from five in the league (last year), absolutely flying it then got a fair beating against Waterford. Our focus, yes, we want to be more robust, better equipped for April 22 this year. But we still want to go out and try and win every league game”.

Kiladangan native Egan was very annoyed that his side conceded six goals. “We definitely coughed up four goals that we shouldn’t have; coming out with the ball, and getting turned over”.

He outlined, “Clare were very efficient. They scored 4-17 in the first half and that’s not acceptable from our perspective. I must say, they were very sharp. We knew we were going to be under pressure today. We were down a few bodies but the whole thing for the last four months was about building a panel, to see who we have”.

Some of the players on display for Wexford in the Clare game won’t see action for the remainder of the year, Darragh admitted. “Some lads put their hands up, have played consistently over the last few weeks; other lads came in today and didn’t perform. Unfortunately, the nature of the game is that they mightn’t see action for the rest of the year. That’s the way it has to be”.

Related News

shannon airport terminal upgrade 1-2
Construction starts on €15m upgrade of arrivals area in Shannon Airport
Photograph by Eamon Ward
Dooley says Ireland should fulfill fixtures against Israel & backs call for game to be held in Dublin
donna mcgettigan 1
AI sexualised images must be criminalised immediately says Clare TD Donna
computer keyboard type 1
Warring Clare couple living in same home but only communicating via email
Latest News
Photograph by Eamon Ward
Dooley says Ireland should fulfill fixtures against Israel & backs call for game to be held in Dublin
clare v fermanagh 15-02-26 stephen ryan 2
Clare footballers release four weeks of tension by collecting first league win
donna mcgettigan 1
AI sexualised images must be criminalised immediately says Clare TD Donna
computer keyboard type 1
Warring Clare couple living in same home but only communicating via email
shannon airport fencing 2
Supreme Court appeal prompts judge to adjourn trial of Pro-Palestinian activists at Shannon Airport
Premium
GALLERY: Banner bask in Junior glory
Clare footballers leap into gear with six point win over Fermanagh
Avenue, Bridge, Dons & Tulla progress to last 16 of Clare Cup
GALLERY: O'Callaghans Mills celebrate promotion to top tier at victory social
McNamara rescues a draw for Clare in capital league opener

Subscribe for just €3 per month

If you’re here, you care about County Clare. So do we. Did you rely on us for Covid-19 updates, follow our election coverage, or visit The Clare Echo every week for breaking news and sport? The Clare Echo invests in local journalism and we want to safeguard its future in our county. By becoming a subscriber you are supporting what we do, will receive access to all our premium articles and a better experience, while helping us improve our offering to you. Subscribe to clareecho.ie and get the first six months for just €3 a month (less than 75c per week), and thereafter €8 per month. Cancel anytime, limited time offer. T&Cs Apply. www.clareecho.ie.